One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-11 17:47:22

fug

Nice to see the update has enabled longer lasting families

Only to see them ended by the same trolls as always.

Is there any actual solution to this problem or is it doomed to continue forever?

Leadership doesn't seem to work because newer players can get it (as meme score isn't something you can keep high forever). New players or mediocre players don't realize to not give leadership away to people who ask.

Pvp doesn't work because when a troll does get leadership you can only fight back when they're in murder state. (They work in nontwin pairs and heal each other.) Under the leadership combat system you're stuck asking for someone to deal with your issue which they may or may not be around to deal with (Why do people 2k away inherit leadership anyways?)

You can't actively curse them out due to the specific trolls having 20 or so accounts between them. This leads to constantly needing to curse the same people over multiple accounts. Maybe something like the total curses on account need to matter again? These accounts likely have tons or curses with moderately low play time though someone else can check that themselves.

So what is the solution to this dilemma? We were on our way to a 300 gen family without super overpowered spawn protection and it got ruined by the same trolls as always.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#2 2020-12-11 18:19:44

DestinyCall

Re: Nice to see the update has enabled longer lasting families

I've pretty much given up all hope.   It is a sad situation.

#3 2020-12-11 18:20:39

Eve Troll

Sad to see the red family go that way.

Honestly i thought the curse tally system worked better. Obviously an hour playing in donkeytown isnt nearly enough of a punishment for curses over eight. But donkey town was guaranteed no matter how many times they spawned or when they played. Something like 5 hours in dt for every curse over 8 would be solid.

#4 2020-12-11 18:38:36

DestinyCall

It doesn't help that I recently re-read some of my posts from last year and all I could think was "wow, I used to have such hope for the future."      I reminded me of when I actually suggested lots of different ways to improve this game instead of just sadly accepting its many limitations as normal and unlikely to ever change for the better.   

I still care about this game and its community, but it is a much more distant feeling than it once was.   I don't like the current state of the game, but I am learning to live with the constant toxicity and garbage mechanics.   

It hurts less if you are dead inside.

#5 2020-12-11 18:56:32

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

DestinyCall wrote:

It hurts less if you are dead inside.

Me.

It's hard to suggest things because it feels like everything has been suggested and rejected.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#6 2020-12-11 19:12:42

Spoonwood

I think it's hard to tell how longer families has happened because of higher player count numbers vs. because of the reincarnation mechanic.  But, I do think both have functioned as causative factors to some extent.  For the record I did not play when Red family died out.

fug wrote:

Why do people 2k away inherit leadership anyways?

Well, there was a Github issue on that:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/700

Jason responded:

jasonrohrer wrote:

The people there can pick a new leader if the "auto" leader is too far away. This is working as intended.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2020-12-11 19:14:37

bpskotch

Unfortunately as long as the developer views griefing as a legitimate playstyle, this trend will continue.

The biggest problem I have is that the griefer pair isn't using traditional methods for killing a town, the are exploiting and abusing non-intuitive and vague systems in order to be able to freely kill as they please. I'm actually a lot more tolerant of say, your typical sheep or bear griefer, than I am this nonsense. At least bears you can prepare for, deal with. Sheep, you can repopulate easily. Leadership system grief is beyond lame.

Edit: I should clarify that I'm NOT saying I tolerate any form of grief, I'm merely saying that those are much more predictable and, probably intended, ways to grief in the game.

Last edited by bpskotch (2020-12-11 19:16:12)

#8 2020-12-11 19:26:39

Spoonwood

bpskotch wrote:

Unfortunately as long as the developer views griefing as a legitimate playstyle, this trend will continue.

Yes.  It also shows, as get said by some others I remember over a year and a half now, that there is no solution to griefing.  RedComb is someone in particular I remember who said this.

bpskotch wrote:

Leadership system grief is beyond lame.

It achieves their objectives though.  So, I don't think the term 'lame' appropriate.  Pathetic I think works better.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-11 19:35:27)

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-12-11 19:41:05

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
bpskotch wrote:

Leadership system grief is beyond lame.

It achieves their objectives though.  So, I don't think the term 'lame' appropriate.  Pathetic I think works better.

You are misunderstanding this use of the word "lame" in this context.

bpskotch clearly means that leadership griefing is unable to walk without difficulty as the result of an injury or illness affecting the leg or foot.

#10 2020-12-11 20:59:09

bpskotch

https://diffsense.com/diff/lame/pathetic#:~:text=When%20used%20as%20adjectives%2C%20lame,a%20stupid%20or%20undesirable%20person wrote:

Lame as an adjective (slang):

Failing to be cool, funny, interesting or relevant.

Examples:
"He kept telling these extremely lame jokes all night."

Sure, pathetic may be closer to the meaning I wished to convey, but I feel my sentence stands just fine as it is.

We really don't need to dissect our sentences to enforce 100% perfect English usage, do we? Let's try to stay on topic.

Last edited by bpskotch (2020-12-11 21:04:54)

#11 2020-12-11 22:52:35

NoTruePunk

IP bans for multi-accounts with too many curses

#12 2020-12-11 23:43:11

Spoonwood

NoTruePunk wrote:

I don't think that is possible.  onehouronelife.com says "lifetime server account" and there's no end user license agreement, which I'm not sure leaves the possibility of permanent bans open.  Or in other words, there is nothing comparable to the death penalty for serial destructive players.

Accounts permanently in donkeytown though is possible, since donkeytowns still exist on the same server.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-11 23:45:15)

Danish Clinch.

#13 2020-12-11 23:45:44

Eve Troll

NoTruePunk wrote:

What happens when multiple people of the same household play and one of them is cursed to donkeytown? Plus bans cant happen unless an eula is added, which would contradict the original contract made when the game was purchased. Would likely put jason in legal trouble. "Lifetime server account" etc. As much as an eula would probably help the game it would be hard to introduce it this late in development. Plus jason wouldnt have much legal ground to deny server access if the eula was rejected.

#14 2020-12-12 00:07:49

DestinyCall

And this is the point where I bring up the idea of a Donkey Town server.   The griefers can still play the game, as promised, but only on their designated server.   Other players can decide if the game is better with griefers or without them. 

It's a win-win.

#15 2020-12-12 00:11:17

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

And this is the point where I bring up the idea of a Donkey Town server.   The griefers can still play the game, as promised, but only on their designated server.   Other players can decide if the game is better with griefers or without them. 

It's a win-win.

I don't see why another server is needed.  Permanent redirection to donkey town on the same server would likely have an effect.

Danish Clinch.

#16 2020-12-12 00:24:05

DestinyCall

Nah.    Give them their own land.   Let them live full lives and give birth to children and build little donkey villages.   They can play the game normally, if they like.   Or grief each other until they get bored.   I don't care.

Just let them do it far far away from civilized folk.   Not "same server" far away.   They should be gone.   No chance of walking or flying or accidentally spawning near our villages.

Regular Donkey Town can stay for minor offenders.   The DT server would be for people who deserve to be perma-banned.  Instead, they get filtered out and transported to their own virtual Australia.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-12-12 00:29:47)

#17 2020-12-12 01:53:31

Eve Troll

What if you built up enough curses you were sent to donkeytown for a week or something?

Say you break 20 curses you go for a week. After the week the curses are scrubbed. If another 20 is accumulated you go for two weeks and so on. Eventually serial griefers would have their accounts in donkeytown for months.

#18 2020-12-12 02:54:31

Dodge

I dont like the leadership system in general but if you are talking specifically about murder then it should be untied to leadership firstly then we should have something like we had before, no more posse system.

First stab/shot gives a light wound, you will die eventually from a light wound but it takes a lot of time, you can still eat and craft but you cant heal yourself or stab/shoot someone else, you have time to escape while the offender is on slowdown, enough time  find a nurse or ask someone to make pads.

Two stab/shot pretty much the same except you cant craft or eat anymore and have less time to get stitched up

Three is a lethal wound, cant be healed.

This makes it still a group decision to choose to kill someone but not strictly a group decision at the same time, so stabbing/shooting a griefer on your own is easily accessible dont need to run around finding a leader and at the same time groups of griefers that try to decimate a village are powerless unless they manage to fully outnumber the village which is very unlikely and even then villagers have a chance if they fight well.

If you are talking about curses first of all Jason will most likely not go back to the old curse system because he received a lot of complaints by players who got stuck in donkeytown and couldn't play the game they paid for, yes most likely repeating griefers but regular players can also get mixed up with and end up not being able to play.

There should be a total count of curse per account BUT it should be per server, someone gets cursed too much on one server and they get banned from it for a duration depending on multiple factors like total number, time between curses,repeating offenses etc, if you are banned from a server you get redirected to the next one, if you get banned from the next one you go on to the next etc.

This allows to ban a repeating offender for a much longer time since someone cursed can still play the game but not on the same server anymore, so someone getting cursed too much could end up not being able to play on that server for 2-3 months even more, 6 months why not if they are constantly repeating griefs.

#19 2020-12-12 02:55:13

DestinyCall

It would be best if time served was based on in-game time playing in DT, rather than real world time.    If griefing gets your account exiled to donkey town for X hours/days/weeks, you can just switch to playing something else until the ban lifts (or buy a couple of alts).    By requiring the player to actually SPEND time in Donkey Town to get OUT of Donkey Town, you eventually have to pay the piper and actually serve your time.   You can't just wait it out.

Of course, you can keep buying new accounts and getting them condemned to DT over and over.  But I imagine that even really dedicated griefers have a limit on how much money they want to sink into a game just to be able to kill sheep and murder girls.

#20 2020-12-12 03:26:50

Dodge

DestinyCall wrote:

It would be best if time served was based on in-game time playing in DT, rather than real world time.    If griefing gets your account exiled to donkey town for X hours/days/weeks, you can just switch to playing something else until the ban lifts (or buy a couple of alts).    By requiring the player to actually SPEND time in Donkey Town to get OUT of Donkey Town, you eventually have to pay the piper and actually serve your time.   You can't just wait it out.

Of course, you can keep buying new accounts and getting them condemned to DT over and over.  But I imagine that even really dedicated griefers have a limit on how much money they want to sink into a game just to be able to kill sheep and murder girls.

The main issue with every solution like this that is too extreme, like perma banning from the game or forcing someone cursed to be in a jail town and serve sentence etc, is that regular players can get caught up in it and unable to play, that's a no go, even one regular player wrongly getting permabanned or unable to play the regular game means trouble, results in either them quitting the game for good or Jason getting complaints, i think he even got threatened with a lawsuit iirc.

Even worse than that, dedicated griefers would just buy multiple accounts or use some bot to serve the sentence at their place and regular players that get sent there would just quit at some point so over time griefers would win.

#21 2020-12-12 03:36:11

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

If you are talking about curses first of all Jason will most likely not go back to the old curse system because he received a lot of complaints by players who got stuck in donkeytown and couldn't play the game they paid for ...

Perhaps he told you such.  However, there is no end user license agreement, and no game in particular that players paid for.  There is NO promise, for example, that players play in the area that the main bands exist.  Additionally, people didn't pay for the game.  They paid for access to a server in the singular as it says "lifetime server account", not an account for all servers.  There was no guarantee that anyone play with anyone else on any of the public servers also, since the existence of other players than yourself isn't a condition of using a public server.

Also, all players still can play the game after they have downloaded it even without paying for server access, since they can play on their own server with people they invite.  And the game is open source.

If you still feel inclined to believe the above claim true Dodge, if reported by Jason, then provide the information that shows that people paid for a particular game instead of server access.  Otherwise you have believed a lie or knowingly are spreading a lie yourself right now.

Danish Clinch.

#22 2020-12-12 03:45:25

Dodge

Sure i'm "lying" wathever, doesn't change the fact that Jason wont go back to the old curse system or do extreme solutions because he will get complaints or players quitting the game.

#23 2020-12-12 03:51:59

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

The main issue with every solution like this that is too extreme, like perma banning from the game or forcing someone cursed to be in a jail town and serve sentence etc, is that regular players can get caught up in it and unable to play, that's a no go, even one regular player wrongly getting permabanned or unable to play the regular game means trouble, results in either them quitting the game for good or Jason getting complaints, i think he even got threatened with a lawsuit iirc.

One regular player quitting the game for good will happen one way or another and has happened consistently since access to public servers got sold to the public.  Also, no player would be unable to play the game by getting permanently removed to donkey town.  The game is open source.  Donkey towns still exist on the same server as everything else.  And the website just says that one purchases a lifetime server account.  Additionally, Jason getting threatened with a lawsuit isn't a problem to him by his own admission, as you can find him saying that it would be amazing if there was a lawsuit over the game since it would result in publicity for it.

Also, I think it overwhelmingly likely that Jason gets *more* complaints *about* destructive players than he would get from destructive players.

Dodge wrote:

Even worse than that, dedicated griefers would just buy multiple accounts ...

They have a finite amount of money in the real world.  With them buying multiple accounts, that means that they would run out of money at some point in time.  So, they would be more likely to stop at some point in time.

Dodge wrote:

use some bot to serve the sentence at their place

That's time spent by the bot playing instead of the griefer playing.  That's less time that the griefer has to play, making them less likely to succeed.

Dodge wrote:

and regular players that get sent there would just quit at some point so over time griefers would win.

Griefers aren't trying to get regular players to quit.  They aren't interested in playing by their own self, as they show by trying to avoid donkeytown.  So, *even if* things worked out as you've claimed they would, griefers would lose, because they wouldn't have other players to attack.

Danish Clinch.

#24 2020-12-12 04:02:28

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Sure i'm "lying" wathever, doesn't change the fact that Jason wont go back to the old curse system or do extreme solutions because he will get complaints or players quitting the game.

He would get *fewer* complaints by permanently removing some people from the main play area.

More people quit or don't play because of destructive players or commit suicide in game.  Players who play for gene score or leaderboard position play at times to deliberately avoid such people, or use Hetuw chat to see if it's a safe time to log in.

Additionally, destructive players make things boring for the majority of players.  What they do results in too challenging of conditions for many players, and too much challenge is boring.  Destructive players also enable conditions with fewer one hour one life experiences.  They decrease the possibilities of one hour one life experiences for many players.  They do not make more things possible in game, and decrease what players can do in game.  This game has lost hundreds, if not thousands of players due to destructive players.

Danish Clinch.

#25 2020-12-12 04:04:41

Dodge

Wathever you say,  doesn't change the fact that Jason wont go back to the old curse system or do extreme solutions because he will get complaints or players quitting the game.

Board footer