One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-19 20:22:46

Morti

My take on trading and our situation, with this game.

Jason means well.

But he's taking information from other places and trying to encourage them in ours. And that is all he can do. He didn't know what life would be like in our world, because there never was an our world before now. Not before he made it.

Where did his examples come from, as to what to add to this world to make it grow?
Minecraft?
World of Warcraft?
The Castle Doctrine?
Doom?
Flow?
All the games, all of them, that he has ever made and played, and all the education he's ever been taught about humanity, about his family, about Europeans settling America, about history, from the perspective of those who have educated him.
But none of those sources of information could have prepared him for what we have made of his work.

He thinks things should be in the game because they are aspects of real life?
Maybe.
Or, he is putting certain aspects of real life; past and present, into the game, just to see how an audience of players who are attracted to this game, will treat it, and play with it, and what we, will make of it.

Sure, he probably wants us to explore all the things people have had to deal with as we have come 'of age' as a species, or, perhaps just the things we've had to deal with over the last 10,000 years? He can't touch on everything, so he has to choose, and what he chooses, what makes the top of his list, are going to be things that are important to him, based on his experience and education; what he assumes, is important... objectively? I don't know. I don't know how, his additions make it to the top of his list. Not exactly, but, we can all guess; doesn't make it true till he confirms those assumptions, but, why would he when just discussing them and wondering about him and his life choices, is part of what any human being wants others doing; acknowledging them and their thoughts?

Jason, made something beautiful, yes, but he's not a perfect person, not to each of us. Because we each have our own ideas, as to what a perfect person is, or what a perfect game is, or how a perfect game designer should go about designing games in general, or, games for us in particular.

We're in a unique situation, as most situations are, with the unfolding of this game's development.

--

I don't mind being a test subject. This is what alpha and beta versions of games are like, this is what making new friends is like and this is what every day of life is; a new experience. We are combining pieces of the past in the present, every moment.

Trade, murder, curses, hierarchy, private property, fences, boundaries, reproductive restrictions... these are things some people don't want, while others do.

What's he supposed to do?
He's trying things out.

But DO NOT forget, we're trying things out too.
This is our game, MORE SO, than it is his, just as your life, is yours more than it is your parents, your governments or anyone else's.
You decide how you are going to play the game, and I decide how I'm going to play the game, and we all exist, together.
Things are in place for people to do things that others don't want done, just as they have been in life, and, like life, people are getting together with like people and playing the game the way they want to play, with those people who agree to do so.

People had to do something similar to this in reality, in the past, but, unlike reality, cavemen didn't have Discord, or Ultima Online, or Minecraft, or Don't Starve, or Forums, or Steam or any of the shit we have today, that some how effects the way the game might unfold. Cavemen didn't have the knowledge we have or jack shit, compared to our abilities, experiences or, cultural, or personal, values. Not ours. Sure they had some things that could be compared to what we have today, but they aren't, they weren't, anywhere close to our situation such that you could predict the results of our experiences in game with things, by, looking at historical documents or archaeological artifacts. We are not in the past. We are right now.

This is unique.

We don't have to trade, if we don't want to, and we can play with a dozen people on Discord, and determine the way the game plays out, by forming groups of people who are constantly in contact with us, where as, those who are not in that largest, tightest knit group, basically just have to play along, or, not play at all.

That's where we are. A dozen people determining the game for a few other dozen, and hundreds; thousands, of people, just, not playing. They're not playing because it's just not interesting - they're not interested, in going along with some tribe of people, not on this forum, not on discord, not on reddit and not on github. They don't have to give a shit about any of us or what we want, they just want to play a game according to their desires of, whatever a game is, and it's not this social experiment Jason is running. For most of them, according to steam sales and twitch and games people are playing, most of them are playing games where the rules have already been decided. The game is clear from the start and when they buy a copy of it, it's going to stay the same way - for the most part.

Most games are like plants, that grow.
Jason - he's treating this like a garden, and he's just ripping up old plants and planting new ones, whenever he feels like it.

This game is not, reliable, the way most other games are, and, that... is unusual for most people.

--

At the end of the day, if you don't want to take part in some aspect of the game, don't do it.
If that locks you out of exploring some aspects or playing with some things, you have to talk to people to find a way around that, or, be happy with what you can do, or, play a different game that does hold your interest and is fun for you.

I, want you all here. I do. There is not one of you I do not want to experience the game with when I have the time to do so. But I also want you, as a human being, to be happy; to be enthusiastic about playing this game, if you are doing so. I want you to care about it, about what you are doing and about what we are doing, because of you. I want you all to be a part of our largest set of people; those who play One Hour One Life. That is what we all have in common. We play this game, together, sometimes.

How and what is done in the game, what you don't want or want to be a part of it, that is best indicated by your actions.

Just be mindful that there are groups who say you should be doing this thing or that, and they will kill you or harrass you if you don't play according to their way, and, do something about them. Talk to them, destroy their towns or help them, whatever you want to do.

It's your game.
It's my game.
It's our game.
All at the same time.

Now I saw this cool flag on the internet, I have no idea who made it or what groups are using it or what it means, but, I like it, so I'm going to share a picture of it and leave it at that.

cmRCftQ.png

My apologies if this offends you because you think something about it is wrong, but I get it.

Have a great day.

Board footer