One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-15 18:10:00

Spoonwood

Let Destructive Players Win: Leave Town or Don't Play At All

A while back someone said in a private discord that basically we had to let the destructive player think she had won.

Just now I played as Lilya Groot: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6750883

There was a baby domestic boar in the nursery when I was two, another around the farm, and a pitbull.  I told people to 'RUN!'.  I got out of town, made a bow and arrow, then came back and saw that the place was free of deadly animals.  Some people were concerned that the jerk(s) were still around.  I saw one of my daughters eat a few popcorn bites in a row, and then the leader said she was a griefer.  There was some white guy in town for some reason, and a few more killings.  Yawn.

I ended up eventually just making a bucket, and left town and ended helping the whites by getting them some rope, a bucket of saltwater, got some water from ponds, moved some firewood around, shot one arrow into a bear that hungrily came to town, and got a cart full of sealskins.  I had a conversation with a Shinohara who wanted me to get ice cream.  I told him I had brought a bucket of saltwater, and asked if they had sugar.  They didn't.  So, I didn't go to a snowbank for ice cream.  That conversation was easily the highlight of that life!  It's a pity that it couldn't realistically happen between a black and a brown.  Language comprehension restrictions are stupid, but I digress.

It would have been better that I just left town straight away and not come back.  You do NOT do anything with respect to (serial) destructive players by killing them or trying to kill them.  They want such attention.  They will just do such in another life with another, possibly more destructive tactic.  Some of them also style their self as a "villain", and you killing them or trying to kill them confirms to them as "villain" as their role.  I'm not arguing not to curse them, since there is no good reason to play with them, and thus cursing them is advisable.  But, it's almost surely better to not play with them.  It's almost surely better to just avoid them.  Let them win.  Leave town or don't play at all.

Oh, and don't be surprised if some of them try to call you a coward for going away.  That's just another one of their head game tactics.  Again, leave town or don't play at all.  Many of them should have had an account or three banned a long time ago anyways.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-15 18:14:23)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-11-15 18:22:45

Uncreative Guy

Re: Let Destructive Players Win: Leave Town or Don't Play At All

The problem is, you can’t control everyone to act one way, and one reaction is all that the “villain” wants.  I guarantee that if people just carried on with normal conversation after someone posted a picture of the truck with engines and kero that they stole, and didn’t acknowledge them at all for the next few times they did it, they would get bored and stop playing OHOL.  However, someone always has to post clown emojis, and cuss them out, which is all that the villain wants, and they have “won” in their mind.

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#3 2020-11-15 21:27:10

Eve Troll

Totally agree with both points. Griefing has always been about attention seeking. The more attention they get the harder they work to get that attention. That notoriety is attractive to them and people fearing them or getting angry empowers them. In the scheme of things griefers dont really effect things that much. Most of their efforts to grief can be recovered pretty quickly once they're gone. Even if the family dies, another will replace them shortly. If a griefer is in town maybe just leave and come back. They will likely kill everyone and get bored and move on.

#4 2020-11-15 21:51:05

Morti

I had a rewarding conversation with someone I can only guess is the player people refer to as Bobo, as, he was on Twitch watching and was clever enough to be persistent, at, what lure was it... I think he asked me if I wanted to go hunting boars and then 'accidently' shot me when we were 200 meters out of town or so, I think that was the tactic he used. I recognized and acknowledged it was probably a trap to get me to get far enough away from town that even if I were to run back and say he'd shot me, I might get a few seconds to make my case whereas he would have ample time to spam the word accident between filler words for his defense.
I went anyway and when he did shoot me, he spoke up on Twitch and I talked to him via my headset while he typed in game, and then in chat once I was dead.
I then returned to that town my next life and we met up and he invited me to his discord while discussing some of his tactics.
I didn't take him up on the offer, because, it was another discord invite, and, I don't use discord, but I appreciated the second life together.
We both forgave each other of our curses towards one another, mine was typed in haste, both immediately after the arrow and then at the start of the next life, when, while dead, I forgave him in my own mind.

I don't play this game because I want to enforce things on others, I play because I want to care and inspire them to care and inspire others.
I think I like the looks of those ripples a lot more than the alternatives.

#5 2020-11-15 22:55:15

Eve Troll

Talk to me after his next genocide bender. I dont think enforcing shit on people is good either. But this game is about survival. Kill or be killed and there are a lot of physical and psychological tactics to protect yourself and others. As well as breed chaos and kill families and towns. I dont have a problem with chaos, but when the main server is practically unplayable for hours to days because a group of people wana flex their ability to spam bears im not going to say im a fan.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-11-15 23:02:40)

#6 2020-11-16 05:04:15

Gogo
Banned

It's good to have a camp near main town to flee there in case of bears. You need a map to it, leader who will bring people there and everyone must go while griefer is not around.

Also why sometimes griefer doesn't fell from horse when there's a posse on him (when he's already exiled)?

Board footer