One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-13 08:11:23

Morti

I haven't played in five weeks, whats new?

I've been awake now for nearly 45 hours, was released from jail at 5am this morning and I spent the whole day yesterday looking forward to getting out today. Spent today running a lot of errands for home and the court system, as well as catching up on Youtube channels and buying books for all the inmates I spent time with, who are still locked up... the library cart in the jail was seriously lacking content. So, what do I have to look forward to when I play? What's new?
I've been reading a few posts about Twisted layer suggestion, is that implemented? I didn't see many new things on onetech, so I assume the changes over the last few weeks have been mechanical...

The first day I was in jail, Oct. 6th, I was in a holding cell the size of a closet and all I did was talk about One Hour One Life as if I was streaming to an audience of people who had never played before. I even talked to them in my sleep while I built camps in my dreams as though I was streaming on Twitch. The craziest thing, one of the girls two holding cells down, I swear her name was Terra. It made me cry, telling her how I name my daughters Venus, Terra and Luna and how much I love everyone that plays as though they were my real children.

I told almost 20 grown men, most who were in there for things like dealing methamphetamine, domestic assault charges and even attempted homicide, that I loved playing this game because it satisfies my urge to be a father, even though I play as a child or a mother. That it gives me a chance to tell people I love them, even though I don't ever know who any of you usually are.

Most of them understood, a few of them found it fucked up. But the ones that were most frustrated by my explanation of my activities, I reasoned with them - I made them understand. A lot of them were kids in there twenties just waiting to go to prison for habitual drug and violence charges - yet I made them understand. Some of them were men in their thirties and forties with many kids of their own, some of them in their forties even have grand kids already. And here I am, 42 and back at my PC ready to pick up where I left of - being your children and your mothers...

My life is an odd one. Odd to my fellow gamers, odd to those men I spent time in jail with, even odd to myself.

I've done bad things for what I considered good reasons at the time. Things I don't consider good or bad now - just things.
I can't judge myself.

But I don't think I'm wasting my time - with you, in this community, or, with those men who I've been fortunate enough to meet in jail.
I think, like me, they just needed someone to care - to care enough, to tell them. And though I didn't explicitly tell each one of them I loved them the way I love all of you, I shared my experience with this community; my experience, with them and I saw in most of them, a desire, for the same thing you have afforded me.

If our cells wouldn't have been so crowded, if things had been different, if, if I had had more time - to open up to them, and to give them time to open up to me, I may have been able to change their lives even more. But it was very difficult being in there, especially with the younger kids who were looking forward to being transferred to prison... as if it were a promotion, into what they had already accepted was going to be the rest of their lives.

Fuck, life is hard. It can be, really hard, if you don't get the right start, and the right support, along the way.

I'm sorry. I'm sorry I'm not a better person.

I wish more of us felt like we belonged, somewhere,
I wish more of those men in that jail, didn't have prisons, gangs, or criminals, to call their homes or the families, or the nearest things to them.
But I won't lie - they provided a positive experience for me, and I think I - them. Which, last time I checked, was not supposed to be the point of jail, which, kind of disturbs me and, reassures me, at the same time, that, we, as inmates, are getting better, but that the system, of incarceration and the courts and law enforcement... that they are going to continue to grow, and take advantage of us - even, I don't know. I don't know. But I do know there is a reason people refer to it as a machine. It really does feel, almost as if it's a mechanical process. That everything, from, the violence, to the court, to the jail, to the street - that each of them is a cog. The educational part - the violence, we grow up with, unsupervised as many of us, is a slow moving cog. Then we get passed to the police and the court, which move fast, then jail and prison is slow, then they're back out on the streets, and it gets fast again, until they are picked up, once again, by the cops, spit right into incarceration and they just wait again, to get spit through minutes of court again.

It's so obviously not working.

The effort, is in the wrong places.
The money, is certainly in the wrong hands.

I'm sure many people must, intrinsically, know this by now, if I can pick up on this with, a dozen or so misdemeanors over the course of 30 years.

Maybe good people just need... just need to get inside, and get to those people themselves, if cops, judges, lawyers and corrections officers, just don't -

I can't say that. I have no, NO, fucking clue how much any, not ONE, of any of those people, really, really cares about. I'm not going to pretend they are in law for the power trip or the money or the defense of the state or anything.

I bet a lot of them, really, really do care about those men and women who are incarcerated, and destined to be, incarcerated, or worse, killed for their choice of lifestyle.

--

I recognize that there is still too much I don't know, to even suggest, corrections for the things I do.
But as a human being - I still think love, understanding, education and compassion - real human relationships with one another; from the people in good places, to the people in bad places; it's not happening as much as it could be, if our goal is to get this world; this whole, human, social experience, between everyone, sorted out. Sorted so that there aren't great factions of people, who are finding themselves at such a disadvantage, they they need to see years in prison, stab wounds, or bullet wounds - as badges of honor.

--

Sorry for not talking about the game.
It's going to take a little while to adjust to being, here, at my PC again.

I know most of you are caring individuals, or, you probably wouldn't be here, and I'm sorry for taking advantage of that.

It's just nice to be home.

#2 2020-11-13 12:16:00

NoTruePunk

Re: I haven't played in five weeks, whats new?

Weird post, I know prison conditions you to life inside though.

Game map reset for update, go look at wondible for the new map layout. Basically everything is in a long ribbon.

#3 2020-11-13 14:00:06

Spoonwood

If you haven't already, see here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … p?id=10234 and here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … p?id=10234  Basically races have to stay in their zones to have children.  Gingers-tundra (not in the tundra, but in the band where tundras are), Whites-mountain without anything inside of the mountains, Tans-jungle, Blacks-desert.  Expert waystones still do exist.  Eves spawn in their race's band, except when there exist less than 15 players on a server (so during server restarts, Eves can spawn outside of their bands, and on servers which are almost always or always low pop).

There's a paved road at the bottom of white's natural band on bigserver2.  Well, I guess you would have found that soon enough come to think of it.

Also, do you check live-dev-changes on the discord Morti?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-13 14:00:56)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2020-11-13 16:39:25

gamatron332

Good to see you back morti. I’ve missed your post thoroughly.

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#5 2020-11-13 16:43:52

Morti

Spoonwood wrote:

Also, do you check live-dev-changes on the discord Morti?

Discord became popular when I'd abandoned all widespread forms of social media besides Youtube, partly because I lost passwords saved on hard drives that failed, and, partly because I needed a long break from trying to save the world via data. Nothing felt worse 10 years ago than sitting on my ass talking about problems while not actively being in a protest, riot or, what I still thing is near-inevitably a revolution, perhaps, a revolution for the whole world at once, the first of it's kind, in all of human history. That was the combination of Occupy and Arab Spring and all the protests in China and India I'd been following at the time.

I think the biggest problem with this planet right now, and, over the lat 500 years or so, at least, has been the stock we put in money, and the amount of money we put in the hands of so few individuals of our species. If money is to retain it's utility to our species, then it's due a redistribution into the hands, and minds, that really matter to us the most; those who work themselves to the point of suffering, to that their families, villages and all, all people of the world, my benefit down the road from their labors.

But if it's going to be like that, it can't just be in the United States, or in English speaking countries, it needs to be global, otherwise money will just be moved, and power, will just be retained in records and enforced by armies who, like those men I spent time with in incarceration, feel it is their fate to serve until their end, or the surrender of the opposition.

I'm not ready to be on discord, or facebook, or twitter, or any of that.
If I used a service like one of those, it might be all I do.
I'm not smart enough to even manage my life when it comes to just one game, just, having Youtube or occasionally Twitch there to suffice for the television set I was trained to stare at as a little human.

I glean what I can, of what goes on elsewhere, regarding the game, via messengers like you, Spoon.
You, and everyone else, you're like my Mercuries - my Hermes'.
(How would one pluralize Mercury? Mercury's'?)
You get the picture.
And I get the pictures, via you.
If it's important, enough, anywhere else, it'll find it's way to me, via the game, via, other means.

I love you all.

I have a few more things to get in place before I can relax, and play and stream and all that.
I really should talk to people and get a job, to the judge looks a little more, favorably, on me, at our next encounter.
I'm thinking of applying at a few sawmills, since, cutting trees and working petroleum consuming machines, is about as normal as life gets in Northeast Michigan.
I met a few guys in jail that said they'd help me get work pulling in docks for the winter or cutting up firewood too... but, I need to track them down and get in touch with them.

I don't know what the fuck I'm doing today, but it shouldn't be typing this message or playing One Life, not just yet.

See you all soon enough.

#6 2020-11-13 17:19:10

Spoonwood

Morti,

If/when you have time to come back... Jason posts notes about all code changes on live-dev-changes in the OHOL discord, describing what changes will get put into an update.  Also, along with those notes exist links to code changes themselves.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer