One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-02 17:23:26

NoisyForest

Possible solution to the race mixing problem.

I have seen a lot of dialogue in the forums lately about people wanting to mix races and form larger late game communities. I have been pondering a way to implement a system that doesn't feel broken or convoluted. I think that some sort of marriage mechanic could be a way to address this desire.

Problem: Players want to form large cities without fertility restrictions.

Reason: It is fun and adds a new dynamic to social interaction and story telling within the game.

Possible solution: Create a marriage mechanic to bond families together.

To keep the current trade system alive I think that this idea would need to revolve around the bell tower. That ensures that families can't just combine and skip progressing separately, bypassing trade all together (which would be no fun honestly). Also to prevent spam of the mechanic given that bell towers have a cooldown already. I think that only leaders should be allowed to marry a couple. Furthermore I think that to do so there needs to be a crafting barrier in the form of rings and perhaps a veil or dress.

For example, let's assume that family Abe (White) has built a bell tower and wants to create a city that their allies family Beh (Browns) can populate. The leader of Abe would be able to hold a ceremony at the bell tower as long as certain conditions are met. Those being that the couple wanting marriage has crafted a ring and a veil. The bride wanting to join the family wears the veil and the groom holds the ring that he has crafted. The leader rings the bell and says a command (perhaps a certain order or /command), for example, "ORDER, I MARRY JOHN ABE TO TINA BEH". This allows Tina Beh to gain fertility in this band but lose fertility in her previous home region and thus populate the city with a different race.

It might be interesting to see how families develop in the end game and I am not sure if her children would share her unique fertility zone or be forced to marry first. There are definitely some things to be resolved to make this work well and not break the game. What do y'all think of this? I'm curious to hear some feedback on the idea.

Crafting Recipes: (Simplified a bit for brevity)

Golden Wedding Ring

Gold ore vein + Iron pickaxe = gold flakes
Gold Flakes + clay bowl = Gold flakes in bowl
Gold flakes in bowl + clay plate = Unforged Gold crucible
Unforged gold crucible + firing forge = Hot forged gold crucible
Hot forged gold crucible + (time passing) = Forged gold crucible
Forged gold crucible + bare hands = gold ingot in bowl
Gold ingot in bowl + bare hands = Gold ingot
Gold Ingot + firing forge = hot gold ingot
Hot gold ingot + smithing hammer = Hot wedding ring
Hot wedding ring + (time passing) = Golden Wedding Ring

Wedding Veil (this needs some work and is open to suggestions)

Undyed cape + sheers = Undyed wedding veil
Undyed wedding veil + simmering mordant = dye ready wedding veil
Dye ready wedding veil + simmering (color) dye = Wedding Veil

Note: There are several ways to achieve the same idea and some could be; Wedding dress, bouquet of flowers, or a combination of each.

I was an Eve once .. A pack of bears ate my bb sad

#2 2020-11-02 21:32:14

NoTruePunk

Re: Possible solution to the race mixing problem.

I'd like marriage to be in the game. Having the leader within range of a belltower saying "do you [name] take [name] to be your husband" while wearing a dress would be cool. Requires the bell have a ring ready right after the "I do"

And of course, bonus fertility for the married couple. And no marrying your cousin.

#3 2020-11-03 00:06:33

NoisyForest

NoTruePunk wrote:

And no marrying your cousin.

Well at least not first cousins haha .. maybe a couple gens removed would be ok wink

#4 2020-11-03 07:24:41

Coconut Fruit

NoisyForest wrote:

No offense, but I stopped reading after this line.
Only some players want to do this, I don't. I'm 100% fine with fertility restrictions. I didn't like living with other families, everyone acted like a stranger. I couldn't feel any connection to people surrounding me.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#5 2020-11-03 15:17:08

Rookwood

There's no problem with "race mixing" as it is now.  You have to overcome barriers of language and biome restrictions to cooperate with people in the game and that makes it more interesting.  I played during the time of giant megacities and if I was still playing that way nearly two years later it would probably be a bit boring. 

With the new band system, it is absolutely possible to have mixed race cities again, just difficult.  That's perfectly acceptable.  You can see the recent Twisted video where he had a kid far from home and left it with another family.   It's organic race mixing that makes the game more interesting. 

NoisyForest wrote:

The people who post the most about this are trolls.  People like you come along read all their troll posts and think it's a real problem.  It's not.  In general, you should realize that the people who post the most on this forum are trolls.  They've been posting this shit non-stop for two years now.  Everything on the subject has pretty much been said.

They post about "family" mechanics all the time and how the game is racist.  Yawn.   The thing to think about is what does addressing such mechanics add to the game.  If we were all living in one big town and we had marriages and fathers and mulato children, what does this add to the game other than some forced RP scenarios?  Like if you want to RP as a father, you absolutely can.  If you want to RP marriage, you absolutely can.  These things happen all the time in the game as it is. 

And doesn't having one big family take away from content of the game?  Like it or not, the fact that you depend on other families that are geographically separated does add content to the game.   

And that is the real problem with this game, a lack of content.  We are supposed to be advancing technologically but we really haven't for over a year now.  Recent additions like the truck and sprinkler (which no one uses) are a step back in the right direction, but we still have a long way to go before we get to Atomic Robots®.

Last edited by Rookwood (2020-11-03 15:18:43)

#6 2020-11-03 16:05:43

DestinyCall

Rookwood wrote:

Recent additions like the truck and sprinkler (which no one uses) are a step back in the right direction, but we still have a long way to go before we get to Atomic Robots®.

Next update:  Atomic Robots

#7 2020-11-03 16:39:35

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:
NoisyForest wrote:

Only some players want to do this, I don't. I'm 100% fine with fertility restrictions. I didn't like living with other families, everyone acted like a stranger. I couldn't feel any connection to people surrounding me.

You didn't play before The Rift, or before war swords.  There were periods were there existed some connection with players other families on the main server(s) for some players other than me, I think.  I remember once playing after an update and playing in a multi-family town that was a resettlement (it was expected to happen after an update).  I did oil that life.

San-Cal I think was also multi-familial, and plenty of people felt connected to other players in that town, I think.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-03 17:05:29)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2020-11-03 17:02:26

Spoonwood

Rookwood wrote:

The people who post the most about this are trolls.  People like you come along read all their troll posts and think it's a real problem.  It's not.  In general, you should realize that the people who post the most on this forum are trolls.  They've been posting this shit non-stop for two years now.  Everything on the subject has pretty much been said.

Calling such people "trolls" is little more than an attempt of dismissing those players opinions instead of taking them seriously.  Two years ago was November 2018.  No, people haven't been posting about race mixing for that long.  Before The Come Together Disaster, which was iirc was in May of 2019, mothers could birth babies of any race.  Such made sense, because one never knew what other genetic material influenced the reproduction of children.

Rookwood wrote:

They post about "family" mechanics all the time and how the game is racist.  Yawn.

So what if you bored?  Personal boredom is no indication that an issue lacks seriousness Rookwood.

Rookwood wrote:

The thing to think about is what does addressing such mechanics add to the game.  If we were all living in one big town and we had marriages and fathers and mulato children, what does this add to the game other than some forced RP scenarios?

A sense of one united player base.  A sense that men can be appreciated with respect to their families.  And fatherhood wouldn't necessarily be "role play", it could be "real play", since it could happen for in-game reasons.

Rookwood wrote:

If you want to RP marriage, you absolutely can.  These things happen all the time in the game as it is.

So in the real world marriage is a contract between two people AND the state.  Saying marriage happens in game would thus be like saying that the state would acknowledge marriages.  You know how this game works Rookwood.  Most advanced players don't waste much time with such matters, instead they do oil, get rope, farm, cook, make an engine, etc.  So I call nonsense that "the state" acknowledges marriage in game, making the whole word "marriage" a wild misnomer.

Rookwood wrote:

Like it or not, the fact that you depend on other families that are geographically separated does add content to the game.

I'm pretty sure that cactus fruits, bananas, ice cream, and other initially racially restricted foods get produced and consumed less, because of separation.  I saw a snowman in a white town before this last update.  That won't happen anymore, and Gingers might be doing other things.  You have merely asserted that such dependence with geographical separations adds content to the game.  But honestly do you think that player made objects get made *more* since those restrictions exist?  By all means prove that if you seriously have a case. 

Rookwood wrote:

And that is the real problem with this game, a lack of content.

Race restrictions have meant less content produced by players so far as I can tell.  And they are NOT biome restrictions, contrary to all the liars and mislead people seeking to classify them as such.  Blacks, tans, and gingers do not have the ability to understand languages on a server with more than 15 people on it, and such has not a thing to do with biomes, but only the race of the players and how many players are on the server.

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-11-03 17:29:57

Rookwood

Spoonwood wrote:

Calling such people "trolls" is little more than an attempt of dismissing those players opinions instead of taking them seriously.

Yep.

#10 2020-11-03 18:26:45

Gogo
Banned

Band for white people should be fertile for all families, that way there would be big city there and whites would become very handy. People would travel there for resources. White towns were the oldest anyway.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-11-03 18:28:32)

#11 2020-11-03 20:46:45

Spoonwood

Rookwood wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Calling such people "trolls" is little more than an attempt of dismissing those players opinions instead of taking them seriously.

Yep.

Right, so you're not willing to understand why people have said such things.  You just want to call them names and *hope* that they don't have any sort of point at all while sticking your fingers in your ears.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2020-11-14 19:11:43

NoisyForest

Gogo wrote:

Band for white people should be fertile for all families, that way there would be big city there and whites would become very handy. People would travel there for resources. White towns were the oldest anyway.

That's a cool idea. Though I think people would find a way to say that it is racist or some shit lol.

#13 2020-11-14 19:24:39

NoisyForest

Coconut Fruit wrote:
NoisyForest wrote:

If you had kept reading then you would see that I'm not oppose to fertility restrictions. I think they add to the game and the bands are also pretty nice. I'm just brainstorming an idea to add depth to the current system as it seems to be somewhat shallow in my experience. People seem to only trade and interact with other families generally to get race restricted items and grief. Would like to see more reasons for families to interact and cooperate than is currently in the game.

Also, how would some sort of marriage mechanic not add connection to the people around you? You are literally connecting families and building stories around that. Seems fun to me ..

#14 2020-11-14 20:01:34

NoisyForest

Rookwood wrote:

There's no problem with "race mixing" as it is now.  You have to overcome barriers of language and biome restrictions to cooperate with people in the game and that makes it more interesting.  I played during the time of giant megacities and if I was still playing that way nearly two years later it would probably be a bit boring.

I agree that language and biome restrictions add to the game and make it more interesting. I am not saying get rid of that and make one giant city. That is very black and white thinking. What I am hoping to achieve with this post is to start a discussion on ways to improve upon that system to make it even more interesting.

Rockwood wrote:

With the new band system, it is absolutely possible to have mixed race cities again, just difficult.  That's perfectly acceptable.  You can see the recent Twisted video where he had a kid far from home and left it with another family.   It's organic race mixing that makes the game more interesting.

You can't exactly mix your cities. It is more of a live in close proximity situation. Also that only works for certain combinations depending on band locations. Can't have gingers and blacks together for example. Or combinations of more than two races.

I get wanting situations to arise organically. Not sure how having a child that is left with another family (Twisted ex) and then married into the family to continue their lineage is not itself an organic union. Kinda seems like we are arguing for the same thing here. More interesting and varied interactions among players.

Rockwood wrote:

[Trolls] post about "family" mechanics all the time and how the game is racist.  Yawn.   The thing to think about is what does addressing such mechanics add to the game.  If we were all living in one big town and we had marriages and fathers and mulato children, what does this add to the game other than some forced RP scenarios?  Like if you want to RP as a father, you absolutely can.  If you want to RP marriage, you absolutely can.  These things happen all the time in the game as it is.

I can think of a few examples of offerings other than RP fun. Marriage could be a way to keep a dying lineage alive if the town is low on females. It could help alliances feel more meaningful. It gives more content to craft and use. It adds depth to systems that already exist in the game (alliances, leadership duties, bell tower uses).

Rockwood wrote:

And doesn't having one big family take away from content of the game?  Like it or not, the fact that you depend on other families that are geographically separated does add content to the game.   

And that is the real problem with this game, a lack of content.  We are supposed to be advancing technologically but we really haven't for over a year now.  Recent additions like the truck and sprinkler (which no one uses) are a step back in the right direction, but we still have a long way to go before we get to Atomic Robots®.

I've only ever played the most current iterations of the game so I can't comment on whether one big family takes away from the game. Though it doesn't seem that fun. Again, I am not suggesting abandoning current mechanics and forcing big cities. Rather I am talking about ways to add MORE content and interactions that players can choose to use or not while addressing what appears to be a major complaint among people in the forums.

#15 2020-11-14 20:28:02

Gogo
Banned

Thx to last update we don't need mixed towns anymore, it won't serve any purpouse beside little psychological effect, so I don't suppose Jason would spend his time on this.

#16 2020-11-15 22:46:31

Morti

NoisyForest wrote:

Crafting Recipes: (Simplified a bit for brevity)

Golden Wedding Ring

Gold ore vein + Iron pickaxe = gold flakes
Gold Flakes + clay bowl = Gold flakes in bowl
Gold flakes in bowl + clay plate = Unforged Gold crucible
Unforged gold crucible + firing forge = Hot forged gold crucible
Hot forged gold crucible + (time passing) = Forged gold crucible
Forged gold crucible + bare hands = gold ingot in bowl
Gold ingot in bowl + bare hands = Gold ingot
Gold Ingot + firing forge = hot gold ingot
Hot gold ingot + anvil  = Hot gold ingot on anvil
Hot gold ingot on anvil + smithing hammer = things one of which might be a hot ring.
Hot wedding ring + (time passing) = Golden Wedding Ring

Need one of these for the pointy part.
j3yirPq.png

In addition, some kind of spike to open it up and stretch it out.
Like one of these metal spikes:
ykoBUs0.png

I'd love some kind of recognized union, beyond peace.
Something personal, if that's what people want.
Doesn't have to be any traditional sort of wedding, nothing too western or JCI, just something anyone can identify as two people, proclaiming their love for each other and having something to represent their commitment to one another, be a part of that.

Board footer