One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-30 00:59:46

fug

Some tips for living with bands.

Try settling on the borders of your native band and a different races band. This allows for multiracial towns which have the benefit of easily working together while early game letting Eve control her fertility. Go on X side of the band to be infertile, go to Y side when you want/need babies.

Races that can live together depending on which side of the band you the two races life close to:

White - Ginger: If gingers move to the northern side of their fertility band white people can live above them. This is less desirable as the same can be said about the next combination.

Ginger - White: If gingers move to the southern side of their band and whites move upwards then the white family can live below the gingers. Basically, this is nice if you need someone to go fetch items from other towns without using hetuw chat.

White - Tan: If Tans move to the north side of their band and whites move to the southern side of the band you can have a white/tan village. Again, this is less useful than our next combination because whites really only serve as a helper race.

Tan - Black: If tans move to the southern side of their band and blacks move up you get to easily pump out rubber. Basically these two families should likely always just live together as they produce goods that go with each other.

Black - White: If blacks move to the southern side of their band and whites decide to live under them you get this combination. Makes for quicker exchanges of items as white people can not spout gibberish when taking items. Less good than tan-black for sure though.

Another tip: When deciding where to settle you can put your primary well (the well that produces iron) inside a different races band to collect iron and put your actual town well in your personal band. An example of this is something like what the Song family has where their original iron veins are actually located within the white band while their town well is 40 units up in their actual racial band. The advantage of this is you can attempt to snag more iron veins as there are no deserts/jungle/arctic in white family biomes which raises the chances of getting more veins.

Basically, any of the X - White or White - X borders allows for nonwhite families to slink over the line to attempt to snag more veins on initial well placement as there are no specialty biomes to block muddy vein spawns. To note, you cannot produce extra wells for more iron however you are able to place the initial well (DO NOT DIG UP THE STONE RING) and then place a second ring (what will be your town center). By digging up the town well you will disable the ability to for the original well to be dug up but trigger all the veins around said initial well as if you dug up the well. This is a little awkward as finding iron is a little more difficult but you can just make a waystone to point towards your town veins.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#2 2020-10-30 01:45:08

Spoonwood

Re: Some tips for living with bands.

fug wrote:

White - Ginger: If gingers move to the northern side of their fertility band white people can live above them. This is less desirable as the same can be said about the next combination.

Ginger - White: If gingers move to the southern side of their band and whites move upwards then the white family can live below the gingers. Basically, this is nice if you need someone to go fetch items from other towns without using hetuw chat.

White - Tan: If Tans move to the north side of their band and whites move to the southern side of the band you can have a white/tan village. Again, this is less useful than our next combination because whites really only serve as a helper race.

Tan - Black: If tans move to the southern side of their band and blacks move up you get to easily pump out rubber. Basically these two families should likely always just live together as they produce goods that go with each other.

Black - White: If blacks move to the southern side of their band and whites decide to live under them you get this combination. Makes for quicker exchanges of items as white people can not spout gibberish when taking items. Less good than tan-black for sure though.

I think I agree.

But,

White
------
Ginger

and

Black
-----
White

both put whites in better position for playing One Hour Rope Finder (while also messing with expectations of Blacks or Gingers for playing Rope Finder). 

Alright, maybe there's a good case for cursing Eves and probably even leaders playing White - Ginger, or Black - White. 

Edit: Neither of the above seem possible.

Whites in the middle and tans either need to suck it up and grow milkweed mass scale, get some ropes from gingers or blacks, run past gingers or blacks for ropes (which is inefficent), or take milkweed away from what might be future starting spots for Eves.  None of these seem particularly happy to me.  And the old system didn't put anyone in an inferior position rope wise.

If you ask me, rope acquisition is more directly linked to survival chances for a fixed amount of time than iron.  A settled family without a cart for transporting firewood to keep moms and babies warm can be perilous.  Buckets for water, milks, rubber, etc.  And cooking without boxes can be a cluttered mess that probably demotivates some players.  Not enough iron isn't as direct of a problem as not enough rope, I think, in most cases.

Whites got a greater probability of having X number of veins.  But, they got less of a means to get many ropes.  Tans have the same issue, but they have that rubber combination.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-02 23:27:06)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2020-10-30 02:36:06

Rookwood

One great thing about this update is that all of this can happen ad hoc. 

Any player can choose to live their life in one of these scenarios, provided there is another fam on the border of where they want to be.  You are no longer tied to your family's well like you were before and that brings a lot more freedom back into the game.

Last edited by Rookwood (2020-10-30 02:36:38)

#4 2020-10-30 04:47:37

Coconut Fruit

This sounds like abusing the system. Also it would be annoying to just keep seeing "+HOMESICK+" and "+HOME+" whenever you pass the well line.

Before the update, as an Eve you could have kids everywhere, except the places where other families lived (100 tiles every direction from their well). Are you sure this was removed too and your "tip" is possible?

If yes, we should probably report about this to Jason. I don't think living together with other races this way should be possible. Either make homesick when near other fam's well again or remove natural springs every 200 tiles y axis in whole x axis. This way you can't make a well just in the bands border if there are no natural springs.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#5 2020-10-30 05:02:12

Cogito

Spoonwood wrote:

they got less of a means to get many ropes

What's your reasoning behind expecting ropes to be harder to build?

I thought the only biome change was which specialty biomes spawn - grasslands (where milkweed spawns) still occur the exact same amount everywhere.

Last edited by Cogito (2020-10-30 05:02:27)

#6 2020-10-30 10:43:30

NoTruePunk

The loss of fertility in border towns is significant. Children are our future.

#7 2020-10-30 12:14:16

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:

This sounds like abusing the system.

I don't understand this comment.  Even before homelands there were some mechanics that players could use to enhance their probability of having a child, or ignore to decrease their probability of having a child (temperature and yum), even when they weren't very effective.  Do you think Eves should *be forced* to have and feed over a dozen children or abandon babies? 

There's no lack of parenting, building, or caring for family or other players entailed by fug's suggestions necessarily that I see in his post.   Trying to develop a strategy to make things more enjoyable or productive doesn't sound like abuse to me.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Also it would be annoying to just keep seeing "+HOMESICK+" and "+HOME+" whenever you pass the well line.

I think you mean band line.  But, alright you would feel annoyed.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Before the update, as an Eve you could have kids everywhere, except the places where other families lived (100 tiles every direction from their well). Are you sure this was removed too and your "tip" is possible?

I don't know that free reign for Eves got removed. 

I did track some and probably most of the early families here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 60#p102660  I could have missed some. 

Coconut Fruit wrote:

If yes, we should probably report about this to Jason.

What's the in-game issue here?

What in fug's suggestions goes against the game's philosophy?

What goes against how the game is advertised?

What goes against the spirit, supposing such exists, of the game?

Danish Clinch.

#8 2020-10-30 12:16:58

Spoonwood

NoTruePunk wrote:

The loss of fertility in border towns is significant. Children are our future.

Yeah, that's a potential peril of fug's suggestions.  But, on the other hand, such places might be more developed and at earlier stages with fewer resources used up.  So, they could be better for resettlement or looting... if you're into that sort of thing.

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-10-30 12:58:06

Spoonwood

Cogito wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

they got less of a means to get many ropes

What's your reasoning behind expecting ropes to be harder to build?

I thought the only biome change was which specialty biomes spawn - grasslands (where milkweed spawns) still occur the exact same amount everywhere.

Yes, that's the only biome change.  But, the locations of towns relative to each other I'm guessing has changed.  Before towns could get spread out horizontally in a left-right linear fashion.  Or approximately left-right linear fashion.  Now, they end up spread out vertically necessarily, and possibly horizontally, but according to Twisted on the discord, spawning spreads out 75% slower than before (with Eves spawning in their bands for a server with 15 active players on it).  When I played in Oilar's yesterday as black, tans appeared in my village when I was young, and later the tans seem to have left.  I don't know how close they were.  I traveled mostly just straight north to get sulfur to Gingers and saw an iron vein, and some whites.  And then found some Gingers without needing to find an expert way stone.  Of course, I could have easily been lucky.

But, supposing that families more often end up vertically stacked than before, then wild sources of milkweed become less plentiful when moving vertically.  If you play white and go south for milkweed you could take away milkweed from nearer to tans or blacks village than your own.  I suspect it wasn't as likely before this change to go north or south before and take milkweed from the wild near another village, because vertical stacking wasn't as likely. 

That said, not everyone will settle in a vertical line.  So, I don't know how well a vertical stacking model of villages would fit what will happen.

Danish Clinch.

#10 2020-10-30 14:32:05

ollj

tan black, for rubber, and lots of easy food.

#11 2020-10-30 14:54:29

Spoonwood

ollj wrote:

tan black, for rubber, and lots of easy food.

Cousins in yum and rubber they are.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2020-10-30 21:36:22

Coconut Fruit

Spoonwood wrote:
Coconut Fruit wrote:

Also it would be annoying to just keep seeing "+HOMESICK+" and "+HOME+" whenever you pass the well line.

I think you mean band line.  But, alright you would feel annoyed.

Me? To me it wouldn't be a big thing. I'm more worried about all these newbies that wouldn't understand what is going on.

Spoonwood wrote:
Coconut Fruit wrote:

This sounds like abusing the system.

I don't understand this comment. Even before homelands there were some mechanics that players could use to enhance their probability of having a child, or ignore to decrease their probability of having a child (temperature and yum), even when they weren't very effective.

These mechanics that you are talking about were intended, and I'm pretty sure living together with other races in band border is unintended. Why are you even defending something that shouldn't be in the game?

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#13 2020-10-30 22:10:51

DestinyCall

Coconut Fruit wrote:

These mechanics that you are talking about were intended, and I'm pretty sure living together with other races in band border is unintended. Why are you even defending something that shouldn't be in the game?

Race restrictions shouldn't be in the game.   But we do what we can with what Jason gives to us.

#14 2020-10-31 01:15:07

NoTruePunk

If you make a border town it just has to be one or two fault lines inside the band. Don't build the farm or forge or anything outside the band. That should be enough to keep everyone fertile.

#15 2020-10-31 01:37:53

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Me? To me it wouldn't be a big thing. I'm more worried about all these newbies that wouldn't understand what is going on.

Nice clarification.  I saw a new player experiencing this as male today on stream.  His name is HEyOoBoob on Twitch.  I didn't watch continuously though, and he might not be the type who shows annoyance.  I definitely think it could annoy some new players.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Jason has wanted to emphasize interpersonal interaction a lot.  Doesn't families living on a biome border involve more interpersonal interactions than families living separate?

Danish Clinch.

#16 2020-10-31 05:50:24

NoisyForest

I was spawned into a town that literally had the well on the border and it was annoying to be homesick if crossing faultline. Couldn't expand farm north. In the end I lead that tribe to an abandoned town to the southeast (300 meters or so) and repopulated it. It was one of the better lives I had today. I think the new banding is better since you can travel further away from your initial well and still have babies.

Also, the trade has increased between races in all the lives I've had lately. Seems like this is working as intended and adds a lot to the gameplay.

I was an Eve once .. A pack of bears ate my bb sad

#17 2020-10-31 06:06:48

Uncreative Guy

NoisyForest wrote:

I was spawned into a town that literally had the well on the border and it was annoying to be homesick if crossing faultline. Couldn't expand farm north. In the end I lead that tribe to an abandoned town to the southeast (300 meters or so) and repopulated it. It was one of the better lives I had today. I think the new banding is better since you can travel further away from your initial well and still have babies.

Also, the trade has increased between races in all the lives I've had lately. Seems like this is working as intended and adds a lot to the gameplay.

It’s not a bad thing for a town to be at the fault line.  You can expand north all you want, just have bbs in the south side.  Build the town evenly between both sides of the fault line.  This way, the race in the northern band above you can also move into that town, and it can be multiracial.  It’s incredibly useful to have the browns and blacks in one area, for example, because rubber can be made twice as fast, and then dispersed throughout the world.  The only problem is that it’s hard to explain the mechanics to noobs.

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#18 2020-11-01 07:44:16

NoisyForest

Uncreative Guy wrote:

It’s not a bad thing for a town to be at the fault line.  You can expand north all you want, just have bbs in the south side.  Build the town evenly between both sides of the fault line.  This way, the race in the northern band above you can also move into that town, and it can be multiracial.  It’s incredibly useful to have the browns and blacks in one area, for example, because rubber can be made twice as fast, and then dispersed throughout the world.  The only problem is that it’s hard to explain the mechanics to noobs.

I do like the idea of multiple families living together but resource wise it seems like it would almost be better to have two wells .. one north of line a few well sites and one south (not sure how far wells block). Then each town could focus on building buildings toward band line and not have to depend on one well. Even have a short road between then. But again that would be hard to coordinate.

I was an Eve once .. A pack of bears ate my bb sad

#19 2020-11-02 14:38:13

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Before the update, as an Eve you could have kids everywhere, except the places where other families lived (100 tiles every direction from their well).  Are you sure this was removed too and your "tip" is possible?

After a playing a bit I can tell you, I can tell you on the basis of experience that for sure that such was not removed for all Eves.  Basically, when a server has less than 15 players on it, Eves have the old homelands fertility system.  So, such wasn't removed it seems.  It just got nullified by other code changes.  This is consistent with how Jason has made other code changes in the past.  The Rift still exists in the code, just other code changes ensure that no black barrier gets produced.  Tool slots still exist in the code, but the minimum active number of players on a server for them to have an effect (other than tool labels, which last I checked still exist) got raised to 100,000 players.

So, you're correct in that fug's advice won't work for some situations for Eves.  But, they will work for others.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer