One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-23 10:30:16

miskas

Jason do you Consider adding family legacy and connection ?

I am bored with One-Hour-Stand families I want a permanent family to settle and people to connect with.

As the game runs for 2 years now I think it's time for us to settle and make a family.
Seriously,  lives have no meaning anymore, every time you play you feel kind of empty afterward.
I have analyzed many times why lack of legacy is a bad thing for the game and proposed non-disruptive-mechanics to solve it.

I don't want to analyze that again,I only want to ask one thing, Jason do you Consider adding family legacy and connection?

PS for those who don't know what I am speaking about:
Mechanic:
2 players need to make you a funeral ceremony within a 10-minute window after your death (ensures that you were an active member of the family and did friends or gain respect)
Then you get a family log in option on the main menu. (you still have your random log in as well)
Family log in, logs you to the families that you have a ceremony being done (As long as these families are alive you can return to them)
Optional:
When born,  your mother gets a notification saying that you look like this ancestor and pointing to the ancestor's grave
if the ceremony grave is destroyed, you lose your family login.
Optional 2:
Ceremony grave has 2 uses so you need to renew your connection with that family as you play.

Last edited by miskas (2020-10-23 11:02:23)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#2 2020-10-23 13:01:01

Spoonwood

Re: Jason do you Consider adding family legacy and connection ?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2020-10-23 14:22:16

DestinyCall

I would make it even simpler.    Any family that you have lived in for longer than thirty minutes is "unlocked".  When you are reborn, you get the option to spawn in a random family or in one of the families that you have previously unlocked, if it is still alive and has a valid mother.   If you try to spawn into a family that is currently unavailable, you get a pop-up explaining why rebirth failed ("no feritle women", "blocked by curse", etc) and you can try a different family or random new family.   Dead family lines are greyed out in the menu to indicate that they are no longer available permanently. 

It would also be neat if you could select an unlocked family to see the family tree.   You could see if your kids reached old age, read their last words, and check on your descendents more easily.   

This would let you return to villages you enjoyed without using /die and encourage lasting connections across many generations of growth and development.   You could help a family develop from a tiny Eve camp to a bustling city.

#4 2020-10-23 16:00:20

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

When you are reborn, you get the option to spawn in a random family or in one of the families that you have previously unlocked, if it is still alive and has a valid mother.   If you try to spawn into a family that is currently unavailable, you get a pop-up explaining why rebirth failed ("no feritle women", "blocked by curse", etc) and you can try a different family or random new family.   Dead family lines are greyed out in the menu to indicate that they are no longer available permanently.

I'd like this, but I think 60 minutes would be better.

DestinyCall wrote:

This would let you return to villages you enjoyed without using /die and encourage lasting connections across many generations of growth and development.   You could help a family develop from a tiny Eve camp to a bustling city.

One could more readily/easily see and feel that one left a legacy.

Danish Clinch.

#5 2020-10-23 16:57:23

DestinyCall

Yeah, 60 minutes would be reasonable.

It could be a neat reward for successfully reaching an old age death in that family.   Good for genetic score and good for replay.  Win-win.

#6 2020-10-23 23:23:36

NoTruePunk

There's only 4 families, it's easier than ever to get born into the same fam. This is super unneccessary.

#7 2020-10-24 01:33:45

Spoonwood

NoTruePunk wrote:

There's only 4 families, it's easier than ever to get born into the same fam. This is super unneccessary.

Not always.  There was Burns and another Ginger family living at the same time two or three Sundays ago.  This Burns family if I recall correctly: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6666445

Also using /die is rude.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-10-24 01:34:20)

Danish Clinch.

#8 2020-10-24 01:45:45

OneOfMany

miskas wrote:

I am bored with One-Hour-Stand families I want a permanent family to settle and people to connect with... lives have no meaning anymore, every time you play you feel kind of empty afterward.

Miskas, life is what you make it. Lives have meaning, even if sometimes small. If you want to connect, connect in game by talking to other players. My best lives are when I make connections with other players. It makes my small life, feel very big. Screw gene score, if my family "thanks me" in their last words, I'll consider it a life well lived. As far as a permanent family, you already have one. It's in the forum and it's in the players in the game. Every player is someone you've played with before and you'll play with again. When I spend a bunch of time and energy on a new player in game, I hope that every time they interact with another player in the game they think back to our interaction and ask the question "Is that the nice person from my last life?" Truth is, depending on the time zone you live in, you'll be interreacting with the same group of people, with some slowly rotating in and out.

#LivesHaveMeaning

miskas wrote:

I have analyzed many times why lack of legacy is a bad thing for the game and proposed non-disruptive-mechanics to solve it.

When I play the game, I fully walk away from my former lives. I don't consider myself the owner of my name, just a renter. I am not a Pie or a Voltaire. My family is much larger than one name could contain. My family is the Great Family, the family of all. ...  ...  ...so, legacy or "trying to re-live past lives" is not as important to me, however here are some "non-disruptive-mechanics" that I think would add to the overall experience.

1. "Bless You" - like a bizarro curse, but no impact on births, just a bit of blue behind their words. with or without a curse like tag "XX Angel Dump XX". The effect is, you'll know the player in a new life and that they did something you liked, in a previous life. (this, quite frankly, is low hanging fruit, it should be easy to implement in the game and has a serious QoL effect)

2. Options for Birth: "It's my life, it's my choice" There are a variety of options that can be put on the log in screen, including being born.... as an Eve, in your previous family, in a young family, in an old family. There could even be a tax placed on the option of either "Lives per hour" or even a hit to your gene score. And if there is no available option for your birth you can sit there with a theoretical timer waiting to be queued in to your next life. Personally, I would take the free random life most of the time, but I know players that would salivate over such prospects.

Also on a side note, Jason should add to the login screen next to the picture of the mouse  "Press [esc] for more in-game information". Again, low hanging fruit. C'mon Jason, I'm itchin for an update. I need more new rules to find exploits of.

I am a dirty, dirty roleplayer. I roleplay in the game, sometimes on the forum and if I'm being honest, a bit in real life. I can't help myself. I'm a dirty, dirty roleplayer. Don't hate the player, hate the game. smile

#9 2020-10-24 01:48:16

OneOfMany

Spoonwood wrote:

Also using /die is rude.

Do you not ever get a runner baby? I prefer /die, over a runner baby.

I am a dirty, dirty roleplayer. I roleplay in the game, sometimes on the forum and if I'm being honest, a bit in real life. I can't help myself. I'm a dirty, dirty roleplayer. Don't hate the player, hate the game. smile

#10 2020-10-24 03:27:14

DestinyCall

I prefer live babies over dead babies.   

I assume that Spoon's point was that this would give people a better way to pick their family, if they get deeply attached to one town.    No need to /die or run or live a life you aren't interested in playing because you are too polite to die early.

#11 2020-10-24 03:36:04

Spoonwood

OneOfMany wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Also using /die is rude.

Do you not ever get a runner baby? I prefer /die, over a runner baby.

I don't have to see or clean up or thrown down bones from a runner baby.  There exists those advantages.

I agree with Destiny's assertion that such would enable players to better pick their family.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2020-10-24 05:22:38

Eve Troll

Had plenty of runner babies. Never bothered me. As long as they arnt teasing or running off to die in the forge i dont care. Consider it a courtesy that they leave and dont force me to deal with their bones. Runners dont matter anymore with tool slots gone. Unless you are selfishly obsessed with being leader or eve they do no harm. Plus cursing someone just for trying to get back to a family or town is way more toxic than running out of the way of traffic to /die. Only idiot mothers chase their babies and only snowflakes care.

But i do love a good few /dies while im making an engine to the point it ruins my run on the newcomen and completely wastes a bucket of water and charcoal...

I agree with destiny that memescore or some type of reward system should reflect in respawn choice instead of leadership, eveing, etc. Some people hate eveing but love being leader. Some hate being leader and love being eve. Some hate both. It would be nice to have a reward system that respects player preferences instead of just hoop jumping to avoid punishment, or just hoop jumping for the sake of it.

#13 2020-10-24 12:48:56

Spoonwood

Eve Troll wrote:

Had plenty of runner babies. Never bothered me. As long as they arnt teasing or running off to die in the forge i dont care. Consider it a courtesy that they leave and dont force me to deal with their bones. Runners dont matter anymore with tool slots gone. Unless you are selfishly obsessed with being leader or eve they do no harm. Plus cursing someone just for trying to get back to a family or town is way more toxic than running out of the way of traffic to /die. Only idiot mothers chase their babies and only snowflakes care.

Is there still a birth cooldown?  It at least use to be that runner babies would block further births.  But, when I think about it, I realize that someone who doesn't /die until like 1.1 can have the same effect.  So, in terms of fertility, they both can be bad.  Though I'm also not personally of the mind that *it is not a loss* when a runner baby or waiting to /die baby blocks fertility.

Danish Clinch.

#14 2020-10-24 14:16:37

miskas

OneOfMany wrote:

What do want to get out of being reborn in the same town you died in?

I don't want to just reborn at the same family, I want this family to chose to give birth to me again.

this is why I am speaking about a ceremony being done
it's the approval and respect I seek.

bonding with other members of the family, and they say yeah this was a good lad lets have him again
that social approval and grouping will form teams, culture and traditions.

OneOfMany wrote:

what do you think about the "bless you" it sorta does that in a way across lives

Blesh you is fine but lucks location reference and common identity.

As I understand you will spawn with people that liked you but those people may be in any family around the world
and there would be no common Identity ( the family identity)
With the ceremony mechanic, you get blessed by family members and you return to that family giving you an identity.
in bless you mechanic you are blessed from an individual and you return to that individual without though having a specific identity that connects you with the other members of the family.

I am posting this cause most people think that this is just about getting reborn to the same place which is not the case.
You can do that right now with /dies.

Last edited by miskas (2020-10-24 14:21:10)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#15 2020-10-24 14:58:32

OneOfMany

miskas wrote:

Bless you is fine but lacks location reference and common identity.

That's actually what I like about it. I like the being anonymous aspect.

With this mechanic, you know this player must of helped you out a long time ago, so it stands to reason, they're not an asshole. When a stranger comes in to town and you see they are cursed, you'll keep a close eye on them. If they were blessed, you may be more inclined to try and communicate and help them with what they need.

Also, if two people are arguing, if you have either of them cursed or blessed, you have some idea of their character, and who to believe. Not a fool proof method, but if other people have the same person blessed, it's even more likely they are not the problem.

Last edited by OneOfMany (2020-10-24 14:59:58)

#16 2020-10-29 05:50:42

NoisyForest

OneOfMany wrote:

That's actually what I like about it. I like the being anonymous aspect.

With this mechanic, you know this player must of helped you out a long time ago, so it stands to reason, they're not an asshole. When a stranger comes in to town and you see they are cursed, you'll keep a close eye on them. If they were blessed, you may be more inclined to try and communicate and help them with what they need.

Also, if two people are arguing, if you have either of them cursed or blessed, you have some idea of their character, and who to believe. Not a fool proof method, but if other people have the same person blessed, it's even more likely they are not the problem.

I think this is actually a really good idea. It gives players the tools to reward the interactions that make this game fun rather than only being able to avoid unfun ones with curses. If I happen to meet my blessed homie in another life in a different family and team up to go slay bears together or whatever. That adds to the game in a positive way IMO. You can reminisce about the last time you guys were together, "hey it's Xx Blessed Beaver xX, remember when we did that thing in that town!?, etc."

I was an Eve once .. A pack of bears ate my bb sad

#17 2020-10-29 22:07:16

Arcurus

for sure we need family legacy and connection!

With the graves, i dont think we need special graves for that, we can use the current ones.

If you are a bone pile or a normal grave you are blocked to incarnate their until decay.

If you have a gravestone you could be blocked only very limited like 15 min or so and the alg should incarnate you by default in the family where you have the most graves.

Since getting flat stone needs some time alone getting a flatstone is allready a sign of value. For sure engraved graves and graves with flowers could be counted 3 times or so...

Board footer