One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-19 02:26:54

Spoonwood

Game Not Advertised Right/Game Not Built Right

The game is advertised as such:

"Leave a legacy for the next generation as you help to rebuild civilization *from scratch* [emphasis added]."

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5956 … _One_Life/

Things were bad enough after The Come Together Disaster were Eves would finding towns, and thus their family would not rebuild from scratch.

Things are arguably worse now, because of the iron system, which makes it impossible in enough cases for a family to rebuild from scratch if they are to survive say a few dozens of generation.

If you want some analysis and examples of how bad things are, read this Github report: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/691 .

I'd like to be able to say that the looters, and The Ginger Deliverers, are all a bunch of candy asses who fear rebuilding from scratch.  I mean, wouldn't that make sense for a game that is supposed to be about rebuilding from scratch?  Unfortunately, the system is kind of messed up that doing things such that a family *earns* their value by rebuilding from scratch, just isn't feasible in plenty of situations.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-10-19 03:08:45

NoTruePunk

Re: Game Not Advertised Right/Game Not Built Right

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's false advertising, but some metagameplay does seem to be necessary these days, which is unfortunate. The population just isn't enough to sustain 4 families, most don't die to environmental pressure but to fertility issues.

#3 2020-10-19 10:07:12

Caprys

Spoonwood wrote:

I'd like to be able to say that the looters, and The Ginger Deliverers, are all a bunch of candy asses who fear rebuilding from scratch.

Not really. It's just what I enjoy doing.

#4 2020-10-19 12:42:19

Dantox

As of right now, the tech tree feels all over the place, the race and tool restrictions limit the player on how they want to play, the gene score is merely a joke and the player HUD is oversatured with notifications. Now add the restrictions that were added for the rift update but are still here even without the rift like hunger work. Also overcomplicated mechanics like just getting some iron.

I really would love if jason sat down for a day and put his act together because the game mechanics feel unconsistent as if he didnt know what he wants to do.

make bread, no war

#5 2020-10-19 13:12:21

Spoonwood

Dantox wrote:

As of right now, the tech tree feels all over the place, the race and tool restrictions limit the player on how they want to play ...

Tool restrictions got nullified on September 22nd, 2020.

The other systems still exist though.

Danish Clinch.

#6 2020-10-19 16:56:41

sigmen4020

Spoonwood wrote:
Dantox wrote:

As of right now, the tech tree feels all over the place, the race and tool restrictions limit the player on how they want to play ...

Tool restrictions got nullified on September 22nd, 2020.

The other systems still exist though.

F for tool slots.

You won't be missed.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#7 2020-10-19 19:06:58

NoTruePunk

Dantox wrote:

As of right now, the tech tree feels all over the place, the race and tool restrictions limit the player on how they want to play, the gene score is merely a joke and the player HUD is oversatured with notifications. Now add the restrictions that were added for the rift update but are still here even without the rift like hunger work. Also overcomplicated mechanics like just getting some iron.

I really would love if jason sat down for a day and put his act together because the game mechanics feel unconsistent as if he didnt know what he wants to do.

Tool restrictions were removed

#8 2020-10-19 19:55:54

Spoonwood

NoTruePunk wrote:
Dantox wrote:

Tool restrictions were removed

They still exist in the code.  It's just that they require 100,000 players on a server for them to become active.  So, they still exist, they just don't have any effect.  The Rift also exists in the code, it's just not active, and I trust my source on that one.

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-10-20 01:36:07

OdinCockeril

Spoonwood wrote:

The game is advertised as such:

"Leave a legacy for the next generation as you help to rebuild civilization *from scratch* [emphasis added]."

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5956 … _One_Life/

Things were bad enough after The Come Together Disaster were Eves would finding towns, and thus their family would not rebuild from scratch.

Things are arguably worse now, because of the iron system, which makes it impossible in enough cases for a family to rebuild from scratch if they are to survive say a few dozens of generation.

If you want some analysis and examples of how bad things are, read this Github report: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/691 .

I'd like to be able to say that the looters, and The Ginger Deliverers, are all a bunch of candy asses who fear rebuilding from scratch.  I mean, wouldn't that make sense for a game that is supposed to be about rebuilding from scratch?  Unfortunately, the system is kind of messed up that doing things such that a family *earns* their value by rebuilding from scratch, just isn't feasible in plenty of situations.

I read the report...

"Playing on a low pop server a few months ago, I tried once to get to an engine on just one iron vein. After the mine exhausted, I realized that I wouldn't make it. No doubt, in the larger population context, one iron vein wouldn't suffice to even make one engine for a family.

I've also scouted looking for at least two veins on low pop servers a few times. It requires at least 80 tiles of travel, even if born near a well site, and though I usually make the three primary tools first, my estimate is that I'd be lucky to have a found a spot with two veins by the time I'm 25. "

you know you can just upgrade the well right?

I've been playing server 1 with my gf for the past week. We're up to our third engine lol. I think you just need to learn the game more

Haven't said my last words yet

#10 2020-10-20 02:01:23

Spoonwood

OdinCokeril wrote:

A shallow well getting upgraded changes nothing with respect to iron.  It's only a well site getting dug up into a shallow well that can change things with respect to iron.  Upgrading wells is also something of a trap of sorts for low pop, since wells can reset (either you lose a bucket, or can't get more water back).  Pumps don't though.  Thus, by upgrading beyond a deep well, one can lose infinite water in a region, and stones are rather cheap, even if reset wells look ugly.  Unless one wants finite resources, of course.  But even then, with Eve-chaining, digging up more wells is still possible, though they'll get farther and farther out.

OdinCockeril wrote:

I've been playing server 1 with my gf for the past week. We're up to our third engine lol. I think you just need to learn the game more

I know about infinite iron also for low pop, due to players becoming Eves over and over again, and even in smaller areas by wells resetting.  I am confused by wells sometimes resetting and sometimes not, and don't understand why they do sometimes reset and sometimes not.  Could you explain to me what causes wells to reset sometimes, and sometimes leaves them alone?  Because I don't get that one.

Edit: My current hypothesis is that it has to do with surrounding structures.  I had a shallow and deep well that didn't reset, but 120 tiles over to the right was a natural spring in badlands which hadn't changed, because it had gotten preserved by people seeing a few months back.  I've seen other shallow wells where *it's possible* that something along the fault line is permanent, so that well might not reset.  But, I have no idea if that's it, and also, there can be a reset of wells while some of the dry natural springs in the tapout radius do NOT reset as I once observed.  So, I feel very uncertain about the status of this hypothesis, and won't feel at all surprised if it's wrong.

Not part of the edit:

Also, the point of such low pop information was about how much is needed to find a suitable spot as an Eve time-wise.  That won't vary for low pop or high pop.  Did you get to the part of that report about Pota, Alyssa Tear, and the other comments also?

Lastly, the servers which are usually low pop, are only low pop, because the rest of the servers aren't getting filled with players.  Server1 was NOT low pop during the recent sale, and won't be during the next update period, because all players not checking bs2 get sent to server1 during an update period.  Unless you want those players to end up near your town and don't mind them looting it, or you have it protected, I suppose.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-10-20 12:21:28)

Danish Clinch.

Board footer