One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-15 21:10:14

Casius

Slash Die, and Curse My Baby

I see people doing "curse my baby" on SIDs a LOT. If your baby SIDs, it doesn't hurt your score.

If a baby runs away, then I can see cursing that baby. But curses last 90 days now-- NINETY DAYS!

What if a family had only one female left, so they were continually slash dying to try to be born as a girl in that family? Or just wanted to do a project that only a specific family has the resources for? Whatever their reason, they did the polite thing by slash dying, and they do not deserve to be cursed for it.
It annoys you? Fine, I have a proposition.

If you do "curse my baby," or "curse (baby name)" AFTER a SID, it should only last an hour.

You don't have to deal with that from them for the rest of your life, and they don't get felony charges for the next quarter of a year for trying to get to a specific family.

If they are running away before you got to name them for whatever reason, "curse my baby" should have full effect if done during a baby's life, or if the baby died from anything other than SID.

If you "curse my baby" while they are alive, and they SID AFTER the curse, the curse should still have full effect. That way if they were running, and got cursed, they cant just SID to avoid punishment.

Curses done to the baby's previous life name should still have full effect. (Slash dying next life shouldn't prevent curses against your previous identity's dead body from having full effect)

EDIT: Babies also can't aggro bear caves, so the worst they can do before the age of 2, the SID time limit, is run away to die. Which is still able to be cursed normally under the suggested parameters for the new system.

Last edited by Casius (2020-10-15 21:17:48)

#2 2020-10-19 22:32:01

BlueCramberry64

Re: Slash Die, and Curse My Baby

Some people dont know that, or don't believe it even if you tell them... for some weird reason. I guess there have been so many changes that people who don't keep with the updates get confused.

#3 2020-10-19 23:19:29

Spoonwood

I don't like to look at baby bones or have to throw them on the ground.  A runner baby saves me the time of having to clean up the mess and see the garbage of dead bones.  Out of sight, out of mind.  My gene score suffers?  What a waste of time trying to improve my gene score by saving a runner baby, instead of trying to complete some project I've been working on, or trying to care about the people who will play with me by their own choice, or because they think they should.  I might get less children?  Chasing a runner baby also, I think, makes it less likely to have children later.  And I'm not always in favor of having more children, if I'm in favor of getting forced into having children anyways.

I think I'd rather curse a sid baby than a runner baby, if I have to pick.  Doesn't mean I'll curse either though.  There's only one curse token half an hour now, I think.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2020-10-20 00:15:39

Eve Troll

Cursing babies is just bad mechanics. How do you even know if that curse is justified or even preformed on the same person. What if someone accidentally spawned when they were looking to twin. Does that justify a curse? The mechanic was made for whiners who cant deal with the fact a baby wouldnt want them as their mom. It should be removed. No one would have problems with sids if they didnt leave bones behind.

Remove sid bones and remove curse my baby. Problem solved. Mechanics that shouldnt have existed in the first place.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-10-20 00:16:22)

#5 2020-10-20 00:47:36

Spoonwood

cordy wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

There's only one curse token half an hour now, I think.

Mid Feb 2020

Code Change

Curse token time now 15 minutes (10 seems too short).

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … f9dbb74492

Thanks!

Danish Clinch.

#6 2020-10-20 00:48:05

NoTruePunk

Baby bones decay really fast. Just dump them where you're standing. It's fine.

#7 2020-10-20 01:02:00

Spoonwood

Eve Troll wrote:

No one would have problems with sids if they didnt leave bones behind.

I read some old threads, and found that some people were confused by instantly disappearing babies before baby bones existed.  I can't say that I understand such a concern myself though.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2020-10-20 01:09:29

Spoonwood

NoTruePunk wrote:

No, it's not fine.  I still have to dump them if I picked up the baby, when the production of the baby bones wasn't something I had anything to do with.  Or I have to wait 2 minutes for them to clear, and for the record, forges and ovens run for less time.  2 minutes is 2 years.  You aren't playing the character, nor in that sort of mindset, for sure, if you think that 2 years is a small amount of time.  And I kind of doubt that you smith much, or have had a /die baby happen when you're smithing.

Also, do you really think that if a person got born into some hypothetical future with the bones of their dead sister they would just feel "oh, it's fine that she died so fast."?  Do you really think that in the same hypothetical future, moms would just shrug their shoulders and be like "meh... another dead baby, I could care less.  Back to cooking."?

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-10-20 01:41:14

NoTruePunk

Spoonwood wrote:
NoTruePunk wrote:

No, it's not fine.  I still have to dump them if I picked up the baby, when the production of the baby bones wasn't something I had anything to do with.  Or I have to wait 2 minutes for them to clear, and for the record, forges and ovens run for less time.  2 minutes is 2 years.  You aren't playing the character, nor in that sort of mindset, for sure, if you think that 2 years is a small amount of time.  And I kind of doubt that you smith much, or have had a /die baby happen when you're smithing.

Also, do you really think that if a person got born into some hypothetical future with the bones of their dead sister they would just feel "oh, it's fine that she died so fast."?  Do you really think that in the same hypothetical future, moms would just shrug their shoulders and be like "meh... another dead baby, I could care less.  Back to cooking."?

I agree about the timer being too long. Maybe 30s would be better.

You don't know much about the history of childbirth? People knew not to get too attached.

#10 2020-10-20 02:15:00

Spoonwood

NoTruePunk wrote:

You don't know much about the history of childbirth? People knew not to get too attached.

The game takes place in the future, not the past.

Danish Clinch.

#11 2020-10-20 04:41:35

Caprys

Spoonwood wrote:
NoTruePunk wrote:

The game takes place in the future, not the past.

History repeats itself. People are just to stupid to learn from the past.

#12 2020-10-20 05:48:47

Eve Troll

The curse my baby mechanic is just catering to that stupidity. Imagine legitimately damning a baby to hell back in the day because it was too weak to live past a year. Like what kind of human being would you be? In modern times its even more stupid.

They should not leave bones. Simple as that. Players might be confused for a second but they will waste far less time thinking about it than wasting time dealing with their bones.

Board footer