One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-23 05:47:33

mrbah

[Suggestion] A different aproach to trading

In real life a town may be based around a ressource, iron deposits, clay fields, rich fields, silver ore, whatever.

what if for every family, the longer they progress, the more they change their homeland, meaning that the terrain changes to their home.
The mechanic:
every family well is assigned a useful biome (let's assume that jungle desert and arctic are only assigned to the relevant families) and as their family progresses, more land that is not tiled up/indoors will change towads that biome, natural sources (cacti, banana trees, wild garlic, rabbit holes, clay fields etc spawn more frequently).
This means the town can, if they leave up some empty fields end up with a significant surplus of one biome's ressources, which they can use or stockpile to trade/share with other families.

It works a little like the reclamation mechanic Jason had programmed some time ago.

#2 2020-09-23 06:40:11

DestinyCall

Re: [Suggestion] A different aproach to trading

What would happen around vanilla white villages?

#3 2020-09-23 07:37:47

mrbah

DestinyCall wrote:

a random biome you don't need a specialty for?
I am not sure if that would make white families too strong, or if it would be fine. I am not sure if badlands should be included in this mechanic.

What do you think woul happen if this change was to be implemented (assuming it can be).

#4 2020-09-23 07:45:40

Arcurus

DestinyCall wrote:

around white villages a rift appears more and more, since in our days white people are unwelcome...

I for my part would like if the game is more realistic and coming closer to reality instead of magically making some restrictions.

Im a fan of magic, but magic that makes sense....

In our world settlements where build around certain resources, since they where hard to transport or needed time to grow.  If we apply the same to OHOL we would have different villages with different stuff without race restrictions.

Of course the current biome placement does not encourage to have a settlement close to it, since its mountain biome close to it.

The biomes themself are also placed not in a natural way.

A natural way would be:  Swamp / Green or jungle  / Yellow or Desert / Mountain / Snow with Swamp simulating rivers untill we have them.

Natural springs i would place close to these rivers with big stones around them, so you find them easily without the need of an artificial grid.

Just follow the river until you see the big stones.

#5 2020-09-23 12:45:00

DestinyCall

Would the useful biome spread out from the family well or would it affect random empty tiles around the village?   I'm trying to get a mental picture of how this would work.

One issue I can see developing is related to temperature.  Desert, jungle, and tundra are extreme temperature tiles, so if they spread around the village, it would impact food drain.   Also, it might make the village really inhospitable to visitors, for better or worse, if most of the village was specialty biome.

It would be nice if the villagers were adapted to their special biome, so it gave better temperature and was not so dangerous.

Speaking of danger, would wild animals like wolves, snakes, and mosquitoes spawn on the new tiles?

#6 2020-09-23 16:01:38

Spoonwood

mrbah wrote:

more land that is not tiled up/indoors will change towads that biome

Is a farm plot tiled up?  If not...

If I recall correctly, arctic farming isn't the same as other farming.  Perhaps that wouldn't be too bad.  The farm turning to jungle tiles or worse desert tiles?  Eventually the entire farm?  There don't exist clothes that cool you off.  It's bad enough that farmers don't have an opportunity to improve their temperature like smiths or cooks can, unlike how the system between the Steam release and temperature overhaul worked.  Farmers progressively getting the short end of the stick to a greater and greater degree over time, would mean new players struggling more and more as generations progressed.  It would also mean that towns were more likely to collapse over time, and would be more likely to collapse faster.

You can't eat sulfur or palm kernels.

Also, I think it leads to home areas turning to hot deserts or jungles outside of their farms regardless of how it works.  Players with not much understanding of such a system would be more likely to die of starvation if trying to do something with those resources outside of town.  Thus, new players giving resources to other families seems less likely, or trading resources with others seems less likely.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-09-23 16:03:09)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2020-09-23 19:18:51

mrbah

the idea is to only afect free tiles.

Board footer