One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-20 06:05:38

bpskotch

A message to all the new players that are just starting today

We as a community understand you are probably frustrated. Things on the main servers are extremely hectic right now. Until everyone gets a bit more familiar and capable to contribute to a town, unfortunately things are going to be rough. I want to make sure you all know a few things:

1. This will not last forever. Once some towns actually start getting established, and food production more stable, it will be a lot easier to try and learn the game. Many of our vet players are very willing to teach, its just that in an eve camp with tons of new players there's virtually no time to teach because we'll all starve.

2. Don't take a mother abandoning you personally. This is super, super important. Reasoning is, if we try to raise every single baby we have, we won't be able to get any productive work done and we will all definitely starve out. Eve camps are a very delicate situation and if most players don't know what to do, it can get ugly very quickly.

3. We are genuinely glad to have you all here. I encourage you all to stick around and perhaps try on a different day when things are less hectic. You will see a drastic change in how players behave and the difficulty of starvation.

4. In the meantime, if you're frustrated with the main servers, you can alternatively try using a combination of onetech and low pop servers to learn a bit more. You most likely won't have baby overload, food around you won't deplete as fast, and you can take your time more to learn how to play the game. That's how many of us got competent in the game. How do you join a low pop server?

First, go to http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report. This will show you a list of all the servers OHOL hosts. The top two are the main servers that the game puts you into by default. Choose an empty (or close as you can to empty) server on the list. Then, in your main menu for OHOL, go to settings. Select "Use custom server", then put the server address in the box to the right. The port should remain 8005 for all the servers. Then just hit back, and login. This will spawn you on one of the low pop servers.

Second, use http://www.onetech.info as a guideline for how to make things. All current recipes in the game are on this website.

Lastly, feel free to ask questions on these forums. I'm sure someone will be happy to answer.

Take care, and welcome aboard new players!

Edit: Another resource, this video is a bit outdated but Twisted goes over some of the basics in this wonderful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNIVKgR … BunnyGames

Last edited by bpskotch (2020-09-20 12:44:47)

#2 2020-09-20 06:19:36

Rookwood

Re: A message to all the new players that are just starting today

The new update, race cars, has nothing to do with the problem right now.  There was no change to Eve spawns.  The game is on the front page of Steam and went on sale.  Just a huge influx of new players is causing the state of the game we see now.

#3 2020-09-20 06:23:03

bpskotch

Rookwood wrote:

The new update, race cars, has nothing to do with the problem right now.  There was no change to Eve spawns.  The game is on the front page of Steam and went on sale.  Just a huge influx of new players is causing the state of the game we see now.

I'd rather not get into arguments here, but the update is part of it. Update forces server shutdowns, which causes all existing families to die. This means when the server comes back up, all new eve spawns are generated. I have yet to see any of our previously established towns. This means either:

A. Server was wiped, or
B. We have spawned far enough away from old towns where they cannot be found

If we were able to get to old established towns, it would have eased things a lot more even for new players, as infrastructure would already be present, and food bonuses would still be high from being new families.

#4 2020-09-20 06:41:41

Rookwood

I'd rather not get into arguments here

Then don't be wrong. tongue

I was online when this happened.  The server did not shut down. No, every update does not force a wipe or a reset.  I was born in a town with plenty of food.  The kitchen was stocked full.  By the time I died, the kitchen and the farm were both bare and babies were popping out like crazy. 

The population skyrocketed to 130 and then the servers split.  Now if you are on server1, yes you are on a fresh server, but bs2 was never wiped.  There are people who are managing to get back to our old towns but they are stripped clean of food.  All the old fams died out immediately when the wave of new players hit, about 12pm EST.

Those old towns could not handle this many new players.  You will have, easily, 20 babies per life right now.  No town can really handle that.

unknown.png

An old town someone posted to Discord.

#5 2020-09-20 07:55:38

DestinyCall

I can also confirm that the old towns do still exist on BS2.   We survived for a little while, but it was a losing battle.   Even without huge influxes of new players, our towns routinely die out.    The burden of new players simply makes it happen faster and harder.   And it makes it nearly impossible to keep towns alive long enough to stabilize, because each failed town triggers an explosion of babies in all the other towns. 

It's like a game of dominoes.    If you can keep one town alive, it helps everybody by keeping babies alive longer and reducing the burden on other towns.   But when a big town hits a food crisis and suddenly dies out, that creates a shockwave that can easily topple other towns, creating even more shockwaves as the displaced players are reborn in already over-populated villages.   

It doesn't help that our veteran population is quite small compared to the new player population.   A few experienced players can make a big difference by recognizing and addressing problems before they become critical.  But with so many Eves and so many small villages without any roads, the experienced players are scattered and outnumbered.   Even if we could keep a town going until it reaches iron tools, there's no hope of securing rubber, let alone oil. 

We are pretty much doomed.    Might as well relax and teach your kids how to make reed skirts and hunt rabbits.    Don't stress about climbing the tech tree or reaching stability.  It won't happen. 

Teach your kids how to live off the land and keep moving.  If you find a nice spot, settle down if you like.   But nothing you build is going to last.     On the upside, some other Eve might find your dead village and decide to stay, if there's any wild food left after you die out.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-09-20 07:59:43)

#6 2020-09-20 12:40:34

bpskotch

Thank you both for the information. I already knew that an update =/= wipe, but with every new spawn being an eve town I suppose I just assumed there could have been one. I'll adjust my post to reflect this a bit more accurately.

@Rookwood, you have to forgive me for how I reacted to you. I suppose I had thought established towns would have held up a bit more to the wave but I guess nothing does right now. Sadly this kinda just confirms what I've thought for a while, that Jason's updates cater to the vet crowd and them alone, leaving the new players in the dust.

I guess at the end of the day the only real solution is the new playerbase getting more proficient. Still think low-pop is the way to go for that one personally.

Last edited by bpskotch (2020-09-20 12:41:02)

#7 2020-09-20 13:42:20

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

I personally was told by Rookwood that letting your babies starve is baby murder and baby murder is the very definition of griefing.  So I'm sorry bpskotch, you are griefing by not saving every.single.kid.

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#8 2020-09-20 14:33:44

Arcurus

FishRfriendsnotfood wrote:

I personally was told by Rookwood that letting your babies starve is baby murder and baby murder is the very definition of griefing.

another XXXwood?

#9 2020-09-20 15:03:51

Rookwood

Well fish, what can I say, this experience has changed me. roll

But in all seriousness, the new players aren't having fun when we won't feed them.

Last edited by Rookwood (2020-09-20 15:04:36)

#10 2020-09-20 15:35:12

QuirkySmirkyIan

Was just in a no new player town it was pretty chill but then when the main enforcer died I became leader but I don't like killing the town suddenly exploded in population. Theres also litterally 100 bodies in the town. What I recommend for new players is to just be patient and understand that the game is complete chaos right now.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#11 2020-09-20 15:40:46

bpskotch

Yeah basically I'm just trying to reach out to the new players, although I don't know how many are actually going to read the forums, but I figured its worth a try. I hate to see lots of newbies discouraged because of the steep learning curve and chaos/difficulty of the servers right now. Granted, I still feel like it'll become survival of the fittest, where only the most stubborn players will come out on top as future vets. It's a shame, we definitely need a better system to handle large influxes of new players so we can more easily help them adjust to the game.

I was on server 2 for a bit and did manage to walk one person through a lot of the beginning steps quite nicely, I hope to have more experiences like this in the coming days.

Last edited by bpskotch (2020-09-20 15:42:19)

#12 2020-09-20 16:18:58

Spoonwood

bpskotch wrote:

Sadly this kinda just confirms what I've thought for a while, that Jason's updates cater to the vet crowd and them alone, leaving the new players in the dust.

This make for one reason that I've complained about things like the temperature overhaul, the spring system (eventually... that one took me a while), how the tall/short object feature isn't a bug as it was for a week, when wild berries stopped respawning, and the tutorial.  That said, the sports car update doesn't make things rougher on new players as some updates have done, it just doesn't do anything for them.  Not sure it does anything for vets, except maybe those playing on low pop, especially right now, since the race car seems like a fast toy and that's it with too little space to carry much, but, I could underestimate it's utility.  Still, has it been built on bs2?

bpskotch wrote:

I guess at the end of the day the only real solution is the new playerbase getting more proficient. Still think low-pop is the way to go for that one personally.

Oh, there exist things Jason could do.  Last winter with a new player surge, the server bonus was +4 instead of +2.  He could turn the tall/short object feature into a bug, which would put more wild food in an area, and other resources such as milkweed, and on the map overall.  If you watch this video you can see how that change could increase the density of wild food: https://www.twitch.tv/lowimpact_/video/425012426  Also, here's an image of how things are now: https://imgur.com/ZWt4IXb and here's an image of how things could be: https://imgur.com/K5s8cda  He could also change the pip drain rate of players.  He could also turn gene score off, or turn tool slots, and race restrictions off.

What's even worse is Jason says in that thread:

jasonrohrer wrote:

This also affected all wild foods, ruining the tight balance of the Eve game.

But, as this update shows, and every rapid increase of the game has really shown with how the numbers crash soon after that (see how sharp the redline falls after it jumps high here: https://i.imgur.com/djVG3FJ.png ... similar things happened with later promotions), that Eve game though balanced well in that (almost) all made tools are useful, it was never balanced well for new players.

Also, it isn't like Jason didn't know this sale was coming.  But, he did nothing to help new players before it happened. 

Arcurus wrote:

I personally was told by Rookwood that letting your babies starve is baby murder and baby murder is the very definition of griefing.

another XXXwood?

Fish use to, though thankfully has stopped, grief towns that I had made.  Chopped down trees.  I bring that up to point out that we are not the same person, and I assure you that we are different people.  Eh, I guess one positive thing was that because Fish made excessive fire bow drills once with my milkweed, I ended up posting on Github that we should be able to deconstruct them, and players like Twisted I know have enjoyed being able to deconstruct some of the three primary tools.  But, that wasn't intentional.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#13 2020-09-20 16:24:09

Spoonwood

Arcurus wrote:

another XXXwood?

Also, for the record, I don't think I've said that, at least not like that.  In fact, I use to deliberately let babies starve when looking for a spot in January of 2019 as Eve Spoon.  I also played as Eve Volek back in January where I didn't feed any children for a while.  After all, one can't carry a baby and a basket at the same time, and even the fastest child can't run as fast as an Eve, AND there is no craftable baby sling. 

And I think I've complained before about how the game has encouraged experienced and knowledgeable players to not feed children.

Danish Clinch.

#14 2020-09-20 16:25:47

bpskotch

Spoonwood wrote:

Oh, there exist things Jason could do.

Bear in mind spoon once again, I speak under the presumption that Jason will not change anything, which is pretty likely. I mostly speak of things that we, the playerbase can do, rather than dwell on what Jason could/will/probably won't do. If you will, a "play the cards your dealt" perspective. At the end of the day I agree that these things should be tweaked, especially for new players. The idea of decreasing the pip drain for any new players is one I support, for example.

#15 2020-09-20 18:35:09

Arcurus

Spoonwood wrote:
Arcurus wrote:

another XXXwood?

Also, for the record, I don't think I've said that, at least not like that.  In fact, I use to deliberately let babies starve when looking for a spot in January of 2019 as Eve Spoon.  I also played as Eve Volek back in January where I didn't feed any children for a while.  After all, one can't carry a baby and a basket at the same time, and even the fastest child can't run as fast as an Eve, AND there is no craftable baby sling. 

And I think I've complained before about how the game has encouraged experienced and knowledgeable players to not feed children.

Is rookwood also spoonwood or why is spoonwood answering for rookwood? The world is full of woods even if they burn down there in Amerika!

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-09-20 18:36:06)

#16 2020-09-20 19:15:33

Spoonwood

Arcurus wrote:

Is rookwood also spoonwood or why is spoonwood answering for rookwood?

No, Rookwood is not me, nor am I Rookwood.

Danish Clinch.

#17 2020-09-20 20:38:33

Rookwood

Spoonwood wrote:

No, Rookwood is not me, nor am I Rookwood.

Sounds like something we'd say.

Board footer