One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-13 21:46:16

Guy

We desperately need a tech catch up

I was just thinking how the truck is yet another cool end game item that just gets hoarded behind a fence gate. While enviably looking past the fence, I noticed how out of place it looks within the game. 

We have these few relics of tech locked in a pen. Everyones like "On we don't wanna lose it" but it just sits there. It's fucking stupid.

Anyway point is we're still primitive enough to treat these things as holy relics. Nothing used regularly is nearly as advanced. In fact so much tech hasn't advanced since release.

#2 2020-09-14 02:59:57

Cogito

Re: We desperately need a tech catch up

There needs to be a lot more tech around, or it needs to be much harder to grief.

People lock up horses if there aren't many around, but that is rare because they are pretty easy to replace.

If we have an easier way to create advanced tech (like a diesel powered workbench) then there will be less need to lock it up.

Engines are too easily griefed (just smash it with a hammer!) but trucks are only griefed by loading them and running away. If you have 5 trucks lying around it's not so hard to go find the missing one, if you even need to.

#3 2020-09-14 04:51:42

Tizzy

Yeah, we’re still living like cave people with everything fun and shiny behind fences, then when you get gate permission you feel bad using a car or van when that precious kero could be used for water instead of whizzing around at high speed. Particularly the van looks really in the present and feels really out of place with everything else at the moment. I love it, but the person in it seems like a time traveler...! big_smile

#4 2020-09-14 15:34:11

Villas

I mean, it's useful for the whole town but only in specific times for a short amount of time. The engine for example, is used each 3 hours (more or less) for less than 10 minutes, while it's not being used it will be locked Evans the whole town will need it and if it lays on the ground it will be stole in less than a generation.

Imo the same thing stand for trucks and rare items, if it's useful for the whole town and we only have one, then it shouldn't be abandoned for any teenager to be it and lots it miles away from town.

By saying I agree or disagree, but that's how it works:
All the citizens own some stuff, like buildings, engines, horses, pens and whatnot, they are public. The leader represents all the citizens and the leader manages public stuff. If the town only has 1 truck and the leader, as the manager, decides it should be safe in a property fence and only used when it is needed, then they'll do that. If more than half of the town disagrees with the leader, they can elect a new leader and kill the previous one, making whatever they think that is Bette for public stuff.

Imo, a truck, engine, plow... are too hard to make and too easy to be griefed, if you take an hour to mal it, they can destroy or make it disappear in 2 minutes, anyone above 16 can do that.

I feel you, I've never driven a truck and I would like to go around with it, I know myself and I know I would return it to town instead of abandoning it 6k north of town. But people don't know me, and they don't know if I'll return it, so it's better be sitting there than with a random person that might or might not return it and may or may not do something productive with it.

I hope one day, we have our houses and our own cars and properties instead of sharing everything with everybody, I don't know how it would be possible, but I would freaking love it.

#5 2020-09-14 15:42:47

gamatron332

Cogito wrote:

There needs to be a lot more tech around, or it needs to be much harder to grief.
If we have an easier way to create advanced tech (like a diesel powered workbench) then there will be less need to lock it up.

you and me my friend, you and me have the same mind

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#6 2020-09-14 16:38:17

JonySky
Website

This game lacks planning before creating a new object. (a clear objective)

I have played for 3 days, several lives to verify if the truck has changed our way of playing OHOL (as some members of this forum commented in another post) but it is not like that, everything remains the same.

There are no delivery men, there are no street vendors, the players continue to move on horses with carts, and the truck is only kept behind a fence waiting to be stolen by some griefer.

I'm going to explain a story to reflect on ...

During these 3 days I have proposed to make wine ...
an extremely complex article to make that I think could work very well to transport and deliver to all the towns and cities of OHOL. (not to trade, trade cannot currently exist in OHOL with current mechanics)

I imagined that I could create a mass production of wine bottles and distribute them to all corners of the map ... but that idea faded very quickly

I used 2 lives in 2 different towns to create 3 Ripe Cabernet Sauvignon Plant in each town, then I didn't play until the next day

The next day I was born in one of the cities where I had planted the Ripe Cabernet Sauvignon Plants and they no longer existed
1 hour of work eliminated by someone who did not want to have wine or grapes in their village

I felt frustrated because I had thrown 1 hour of my time in the trash (nobody likes that) and stopped playing until the next day (imagine how it feels to a person who creates a 0 engine for several lives and someone destroys it in seconds)

The third day I looked for the other city where I had planted Ripe Cabernet Sauvignon Plant and surprisingly there they were, someone had even created a bottle, a funnel and a glass and had created wine !!!

great! I thought ... now I only have to create 24 bottles and fill them with wine to transport them by truck to all cities ...
But ... when you have these bottles ready I won't have time for anything else ... and possibly when I return to that city those 24 bottles will no longer be there.
Also remember that wine cannot be used without a glass
and almost nobody makes drinks, so nobody will be able to drink the wine that I distribute
Also remember that I can't drive the truck because I don't have enough genetic points.
Also remember that I can't talk to the other families to deliver my merchandise, just leave it anywhere and go to another city.
All this without considering that if I dedicate my life to distribute or create bottles of wine, I will not be able to take care of my family and my genetic score may drop more

So I wonder ... why am I going to distribute wine? Has no sense
Nobody will be able to enjoy that wine, nor will they thank me, I don't even know how many lives I will use to do this ...

no I'm not going to do it, I don't want to waste my time on this at all

And this is the problem of OHOL, that new objects are being created without thinking about its real use, its operation, the role of that item in the game, its usefulness or its problems

These problems must be fixed first before creating a delivery truck.

Last edited by JonySky (2020-09-14 17:32:10)

#7 2020-09-15 00:25:26

gamatron332

Fleeting whisper *woooorrrrrk beeeennncchh*

-gama

I’m Gama I flaunt my ideas, and I’m fabulous
But I’ve allready said too much.

#8 2020-09-15 18:42:13

Spoonwood

JonySky wrote:

And this is the problem of OHOL, that new objects are being created without thinking about its real use, its operation, the role of that item in the game, its usefulness or its problems

Well that's certainly a different philosophy than making things just because you made/ate pickles for a few weeks or had to move things around in a big truck, because of wild fires.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer