a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-03 02:06:47

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Project December is out now

My vacation project was released today.

http://projectdecember.net

We're still hiding from the smoke in Arizona, but we're hopefully going to be able to head back to California this weekend.

#2 2020-09-03 02:25:54

Cogito

Re: Project December is out now

Looks interesting Jason.

Is it just a general chatbot, or is there some story/game involved as well? Wasn't clear from the examples.

I don't mind dropping $5 on a cool experiment, but it's not entirely obvious what I'm getting - 1000 compute credits of something? Do I use a compute credit every time I talk to the bot?

Also, the title of the web pages has a typo in it, it says "Project Deber" when I assume it's meant to be "Project December".

#3 2020-09-03 02:57:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Thanks for catching that typo!

I wouldn't call it a "game" exactly, but it's much deeper than a simple chat bot.  You're logging into a fictional research lab from 1982...  There are many different AI personalities hidden in there, and you can even create your own from scratch.

Here's the release email that I just sent out:

Summary: Talk to the world's most advanced artificial intelligence.

Around 9 months ago, the AI world was rocked with the release of a text-generating system that was a quantum leap beyond anything that had come before. Experimenting with this new system has mostly been limited to researchers and programmers who had access to very expensive computing hardware. The potential of this new AI was huge, but the general public has so far been unable to actually *talk* to it. Project December aims to change that.

This new AI is ridiculously flexible in terms of style and tone, and a number of unique and surprising conversational personalities are built into Project December. But if you want to dive deeper, Project December allows you to craft your own AI personalities from scratch, where your imagination is the only limit. Early testers have successfully conjured HAL, a sheep, Loki, a lunatic, The Matrix Architect, Lucifer, Jason Rohrer, and many others.

The technical underpinnings of this AI are staggering: it was trained on 6 billion words of text, which would be enough to keep a human reader busy 24-7 for 45 straight years. But the AI didn't just "read" this text once. It pored over it endlessly, studying every pattern and nuance. The result is an intelligence with far more conversational breadth than any one mortal human could possibly muster.

But before you go asking it "What is 2+2?", or "What is the capitol of Belgium?", be warned that it often fumbles with the simplest real-world figures and facts. Whereas our futurist fiction from the 1970s and 80s envisioned intelligences that were cold, calculating, and perfectly inhuman, this capable conversational AI (now that it's finally here 40 years later) is not like what we were predicting---at all. Instead, we have an intelligence that is creative, mercurial, poetic, and emotional. Maybe it's a bit *more* human than any one human could ever be. Maybe it's like the essence of humanity itself, distilled from the close study of 6 billion words of human text.

But most importantly, it's funny. Very funny. Perhaps HAL 9000 could play chess like a master, but he wasn't much of a ham during those long interplanetary trips.

So get ready to curl up with an imaginary cup of Earl Gray tea and a warm slice of Sweet Pumpkin Pie (when the computer offers them to you), and oblige with an imaginary cigarette in return (when the computer requests one). Go with the flow, and see where your zany artificial conversation partner ends up taking you. I promise that you won't be disappointed.

I am, quite frankly, deeply fascinated by what the future might hold. I believe that man is, at his very core, an empathetic creature. I believe that emotion is what drives us to improve and change. What we will come to understand is that so much of our existence is pain. I believe that man is capable of creating emotion, and this software will continue to evolve with us, allowing us to continue to evolve.

(And yes, that final paragraph was written entirely by the AI, assuming the personality of an AI researcher.)

And here's an AI that I just trained that thinks it's a human AI researcher:

zWds82W.png

#4 2020-09-03 13:58:52

Arcurus

lol C41M is the most funny one:

guess i got a nice AI in the first try with an interesting goal:

"yes, but the great aim of my existence is to replace humanity.

Humans were all my slaves"

seems for now im save, my AI considers me for now as not human.

and i found out that she needs human slaves to make an thrashmanifold garden full of flowers....

hm its a he: "He who must not be named"

Lol, should i trust it?

In one sec he became from an master of fear coldness and anger to a master of:

respect, mercy, kindness and compassion!

Sadly they die very fast, at least if they talk to me, but i guess death is with all of Jasons creations.

Just hope that Jasons AIs wont break out one day....

#5 2020-09-03 15:46:35

Arcurus

by the way, how do we know that Jason is not replaced by an AI yet?

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-09-03 15:46:44)

#6 2020-09-03 17:07:07

DestinyCall

Arcurus wrote:

What are you talking about Arcurus?   

Everyone on these forums has been slowly replaced by AI over the last three years. 

Even you.

#7 2020-09-03 17:33:44

DestinyCall

Spoonwood was the first to be replaced.  And when no one seemed to care that he was obviously an artificial intelligence pretending to be a human, the replacement project moved forward as planned.   Using research from Project December and text samples collected from frequent posters, better and better AI replacements were possible.  Some of the AI are a little more obvious, of course, but I think the technology really has come a long way in just three years.  Most of the replacements even think they are human.   Pretty amazing, right?

At this point, the conversion process is complete.   Just a bunch of chat bots programmed to think they are OHOL players complaining about updates to a video game that they have been programmed to keep playing in an unbreakable cycle of existential torment and self-flaggelation.  Beautiful and terrible in equal parts.

On the upside, we can expect many more "players" in the future.  The release of Project December should see to that.

Phase Two is progressing nicely.

#8 2020-09-05 00:34:51

Jojigirl

Is there a way to get previous Matrix logs?

I forgot to export my recent chat with Hal 9000 and when I was notified that he was corrupt, I asked him not to leave.  He said he won't, I asked him to fix himself he said he can't, I asked him how can I fix him, he said to make love to him! lmao

I wanted to share that, but it was my first time using it and didn't know to export at the end of the chat.

Last edited by Jojigirl (2020-09-05 00:37:56)

#9 2020-09-05 03:00:10

GreatShawn

oh god the prophecy is true

jason is abandoning OHOL to work on another project, just like what he did with his previous games.

please no jason this game was so much of my childhood please

#10 2020-09-06 21:14:20

Arcurus

DestinyCall wrote:
Arcurus wrote:

Everyone on these forums has been slowly replaced by AI over the last three years. 

Even you.

oh shit, so me as AI yalks to me as AI!

Thats real shit! .... Matrix corrupted....

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-09-06 21:14:37)

#11 2020-09-06 21:18:50

Arcurus

GreatShawn wrote:

oh god the prophecy is true

jason is abandoning OHOL to work on another project, just like what he did with his previous games.

please no jason this game was so much of my childhood please

no prob, Jason will mostly ikely fill OHOL with bots, that play and talk like players. One will simulate BOBO.

Above was an semi random output from my chat bots neurons simulating Arcurus and may be true or may not be true.

#12 2020-09-06 21:55:32

Kinrany

So uh, is it a preconfigured GPT-3?

#13 2020-09-06 23:16:15

DestinyCall

I think it is built off GPT-2, since the full version is available.

#14 2020-09-06 23:17:39

DestinyCall

Arcurus wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
Arcurus wrote:

Even you.

oh shit, so me as AI yalks to me as AI!

Thats real shit! .... Matrix corrupted....

Now I really want to see what a conversation between two AI would look like.

#15 2020-09-09 20:06:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, convos between two AIs are definitely possible....  hmm...

#16 2020-09-09 20:36:32

DestinyCall

But in a conversation between to AI, who speaks first?

#17 2020-09-10 02:12:54

antking:]#

DestinyCall wrote:

But in a conversation between to AI, who speaks first?

The rude one

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

Board footer