One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-05 00:31:47

dankm00dy

Can something be done about zone restrictions?

I am a returning player after taking more than a year off from the game. I haven't played consistently since probably 2 years ago (when I would play the game for hours daily).

Upon returning, I was very pleased with the quality of life changes and additions to technology. The game definitely feels better in some ways than it ever has.

Despite this, I still firmly believe the game was more FUN two years ago than it is now for a few reasons.  I am not going to discuss them all, but instead focus on one of the worst changes ever made to this game... racial zone restrictions. I am shocked that this mechanic is STILL in the game after all this time.

I understand this mechanic was originally added to encourage trade, but for me (and what seems like most others), it is just painfully annoying and anything BUT fun. It seems like meta gaming with Discord is basically required to have any successful civilization. If you need to coordinate outside the game to have a successful city, then there is something wrong with the design.

Zone restrictions should be dropped completely. At the very least they need to be tweaked. Perhaps add passive buffs to different races or alternative technology to enter zones (i.e. a black or brown person would have to create a heavy duty coat to enter a snowy zone).

The current system was an interesting idea at first but is, in reality, clunky, frustrating, unrealistic, and it kills immersion.

#2 2020-08-05 01:13:54

DailyNightmares

Re: Can something be done about zone restrictions?

At the moment it seems that gingers have a special thing which is they can find gold but other than that i dont think anyone else has anything

The only system is the peace system to understand them which is still annoying

I understand you annoyance but i dont think people meta with discord

But yes racial bonuses sounds like a great idea the techonlogy requirments seems like a massive pain but other than that i understand your pain

#3 2020-08-05 02:25:21

Cogito

DailyNightmares wrote:

At the moment it seems that gingers have a special thing which is they can find gold

...and oil, and fishing, and feast tables (though that is other families too)

If you're not noticing the restrictions it's either that you're staying in town (probably being useful!) or, more likely, that some other family else has shared the restricted content with you.

If you play a few lives you will probably play as different families, so plenty of people will, for example, pump oil and distribute it around all the towns.

#4 2020-08-05 05:41:42

Coconut Fruit

dankm00dy wrote:

I understand this mechanic was originally added to encourage trade

Actually there are more reasons

jasonrohrer wrote:

Why:

1. To make life in each parallel family feel unique

2. To encourage players to explore outside of their village bubbles and find other families

3. To encourage inter-family interaction, cooperation, and trade

4. To encourage players to bridge language barriers between families

5. To make climbing the upper reaches of the tech tree less linear, monotone, and certain

6. To give you more complex, interpersonal challenges

7. To partially model a beautiful facet of the real world, where different people from different areas specialize in different things

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#5 2020-08-05 09:47:57

ahead

there was no trade before the restriction
there still isn't none

any town can just have their stuff taken, if it lies in the open
why does it lie in the open?
because there's nothing separating inside from outside, like a fence
fences around towns are only seen as griefing now, why is that?
because they take no resources or time to complete and are indestructible
why do people build fences and protection in real life?
because they don't want their stuff stolen and themselves killed
that isn't a problem in ohol, you can just easily get reborn into another settlement next life
so the only use for fences left is griefing
if nothing matters, why bother with protection?

you can bring stuff in return for the things you've taken, but why?
why would you want to, the village leader will most likely ignore you fully and not bother
stealing is free of any punishment
with communication using paper being so slow and people so apathetic most don't bother with you and just ignore you
if they have the resource stockpiled, then it's as easy as taking it
if they don't it becomes a gamble, you might get called a griefer, stabbed and cursed, you might be ignored,
but you never will get the stuff you asked for

hell, one time i brought some brown folk four buckets of wheat, emptied them in their bakery
i asked them to fill the four buckets i had with palm kernels
after nine minutes of asking people to fill some buckets with palm kernels, six of whom just ran away
only the seventh person actually reacted to it like a human being
you know what they did?
they went to the nursery and talked to others for ten minutes straight, ran away
then a nine year old child went with me to get some palm kernels, finally
the little guy who wasn't even around when i arrived
goes to some rubber trees, slashes them and puts the buckets i got for palm kernels on them
after a minute of waiting hands me some latex

~20 minutes of 'trading' and i didn't even get the stuff i needed, absolutely wonderful isn't it?

the only real way to get the special biome resources is to communicate with other players outside the game that's it

Sorry, nothing

#6 2020-08-05 14:13:13

Spoonwood

dankm00dy wrote:

Zone restrictions should be dropped completely. At the very least they need to be tweaked. Perhaps add passive buffs to different races or alternative technology to enter zones (i.e. a black or brown person would have to create a heavy duty coat to enter a snowy zone).

The current system was an interesting idea at first but is, in reality, clunky, frustrating, unrealistic, and it kills immersion.

I just don't play at all on bigserver2 because of those restrictions and tool restrictions.  I tried a few times with them, but it wasn't enjoyable, so I just haven't played on bigserver2 since January 31st.

Despite the game having serious and longstanding issues like lineages dying out due to updates and especially lack of in game fathers, I think it would be enjoyable without tool *and* race restrictions.  But with those two in, it's not fun.

I did play a few days ago on a low pop server, and that's the only type of video worth promoting: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/699442904

I don't see how any of the recent changes would change things like those two, even though the current iron system is inferior to the last one and results in people running around more as an Eve looking for a spot.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-08-05 14:15:12)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2020-08-12 15:44:23

Solbusaur

Not to mention only browns can build apocalypse towers, a mechanic that was added to give every family a big reset button as an endpoint. Now it's only the jungle families' decision to build it and, depending on where it's built, their responsibility to prevent its completion too

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

Board footer