One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-19 01:49:26

schmloo

Extending teaching beyond “face to face” interaction.

Books, and a whole new door in terms of “tech” and player interaction. Sorry, I know it’s a suggestion, but it can be difficult to teach things to other players in times of crisis, and also difficult to teach certain things such as creating an engine and setting up an oil rig, since 1) the processes of both examples are difficult enough, and b) the second one simply isn’t reliably taught without very high risk of the student starving in the tundra (or dying to other causes). Not to mention a lot of people either don’t know how to themselves, or they can’t be bothered or are able to give the time and effort to constantly teach new people who possibly won’t stay around to use the knowledge in the near future.

Maybe books could work as the leather bound cover being a “container”, which only hold things with a +note tag, and can hold 10 small items? Which can then be placed on the floor and cycled through like you would with a basket? I’m not sure how it all works, I’m just going off using the +contFoodDish system as an inspiration. And in terms of players knowing the order, it’d be down to them to number the pages with some method of their choosing, ie. Roman numerals.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#2 2020-07-19 04:42:02

The_Anabaptist

Re: Extending teaching beyond “face to face” interaction.

No no no, you gotta phrase it like:

"Most of the player base is dumb as a box of rocks and that's a problem."

Then Jason thinks about the problem and eventually implements flying death machines that kill every player that exhibits intelligent action.  Soon the remainder of the player base no longer realizes that they are dumb as a box of rocks because they have nobody smarter to compare themselves to.

The_Anabaptist

#3 2020-07-19 06:08:31

Gogo
Banned

I started school in black family (Knievels or smth). Not sure if it's been used..

School - lil farm/kiln + way stones to explain basics.

Books can be nice addition, instead of way stones. House filled with books + small farm.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-07-19 06:09:27)

#4 2020-07-19 23:24:30

Legs

1. Write on a piece of blank paper.
2. Written paper + written paper = stack of written paper.
3. Leather + stack of written paper = book.

Books can be read by clicking on the player character while holding the item. They are small, containable items that fit within slot boxes. The order that the pages are stacked in is the order that they're read. The first page of the stack is the first page of the book etc. One five page book can be a short explanation, or you can organize them into chapters to explain more complicated subjects by prefacing the text with a chapter number. Make a building with slot boxes and get writing, especially with the increased character limit you can finally make a real library. Not just a mess of nonsensical tweets.

Imagine a new player borrowing a three part collection, taking his cute little basket of books to consult while he goes to figure out how to do something he's never done before. He's trying. He's learning something, he's being useful! And you know what, for a new player that's all the motivation they need to play the game. The biggest hurdle for most new players is a lack of instruction. They want to be useful but they don't know what to do. They want to learn a job but everyone's too busy to teach. So they get bored of standing around munching berries and stop playing. This helps to solve that. Tell your bored teenage daughter to go to school and get a job. There's a great series of cookbooks that could help her become a chef. She might become a single mother halfway through, but hey that's life.

Loco Motion

#5 2020-07-19 23:25:51

Legs

Of course this is assuming there's a cow update and that there's a realistic way to replicate the tanning process in-game, but I don't know much about leather so I'll leave that up to Jason and his research to figure out.

Loco Motion

#6 2020-07-20 16:27:20

Karrots

Legs wrote:

. . .

+1

#7 2020-07-21 16:00:26

The_Anabaptist

We don't need a cow update.  All my books will be bound with the flesh of SIDs babies! Muahahahahaha!

The_Anabaptist

#8 2020-07-27 20:36:57

Cabbagiorno Giovanna

schmloo wrote:

Books, and a whole new door in terms of “tech” and player interaction. Sorry, I know it’s a suggestion, but it can be difficult to teach things to other players in times of crisis, and also difficult to teach certain things such as creating an engine and setting up an oil rig, since 1) the processes of both examples are difficult enough, and b) the second one simply isn’t reliably taught without very high risk of the student starving in the tundra (or dying to other causes). Not to mention a lot of people either don’t know how to themselves, or they can’t be bothered or are able to give the time and effort to constantly teach new people who possibly won’t stay around to use the knowledge in the near future.

Maybe books could work as the leather bound cover being a “container”, which only hold things with a +note tag, and can hold 10 small items? Which can then be placed on the floor and cycled through like you would with a basket? I’m not sure how it all works, I’m just going off using the +contFoodDish system as an inspiration. And in terms of players knowing the order, it’d be down to them to number the pages with some method of their choosing, ie. Roman numerals.

I would honestly love this! Imagine people actually doing something useful in other way, like being authors and teaching further generations "Engines 101".

I can sometimes hear colors

#9 2020-07-27 22:58:32

Coconut Fruit

Would people read books tho?
They don't even read notes lying on the ground.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#10 2020-07-28 09:26:43

JonySky
Website

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Would people read books tho?
They don't even read notes lying on the ground.

No one reads the notes on the floor because most of the time they are insults, racist comments, stupid messages or they do not contribute anything ... other times they are simply disorganized or out of place

But notes are being used for translations ... and I think this is where the use of books to learn languages in a life should be encouraged individually.

to explain how something works it doesn't make sense, it won't be used ... nobody will explain how to make oil in a book, and nobody will read a book to learn how to make oil

I think it would be great to write a story, a dictionary or just the alphabet and learn the language (progressively in one life)

Last edited by JonySky (2020-07-28 09:29:53)

Board footer