One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-14 08:26:30

Dodge

So boring

Plenty of food, no challenge, only thing left to do is crafting meaningless objects, so boring...

Why not make the game easier for the noobs and more challenging for the vets at the same time?

Being in house = Almost no food drain

Out of house = Exponential food drain that depends on time spent outside x clothes insulation

Noobs could chill indoors, ask for questions or stuff to do without bothering busy people.

But most importantly it would solve the issue of the game being too hard and too easy at the same time (too hard for new players, too easy for vets)

It would allow to rebalance the game in a way that makes it more challenging but at the same time doesn't straight up kill off new players.

#2 2020-01-14 08:50:44

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Re: So boring

Or just make the tutorial better. TEACH THEM THE TRUE BASICS. I'm so tired of teaching basic farming. I know how to make everything in the whole game for godsakes. Why do I always have to pass on the basics????

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#3 2020-01-14 09:25:35

Dodge

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Or just make the tutorial better. TEACH THEM THE TRUE BASICS. I'm so tired of teaching basic farming. I know how to make everything in the whole game for godsakes. Why do I always have to pass on the basics????

???

How does making the tutorial "better" makes the game more challenging?

Also there shouldn't be any tutorial anyway, only a help menu that explains the different mechanics like cursing and crafting system should be more intuitive.

#4 2020-01-14 09:43:57

DestinyCall

Lack of challenge is a common problem for veterans, but it isn't the biggest problem at the moment, in my opinion. Like DiscardedSlinky mentioned the tutorial could use an upgrade.    Making OHOL more accessible to new players is much more important than trying to keep someone who has already put hundreds of hours into the game from getting bored. 

Perfectly warm buildings is a good idea.   The exponential cold thing would require careful balancing to avoid breaking the game.   It might work, but I feel like running back to shelter every X minutes to "warm up" would get old fast.   And new players would be quick to die as soon as they left shelter, which would be kind of sucky gameplay.   Especially since there are almost no jobs that can be done entirely indoors.

#5 2020-01-14 10:34:10

Dodge

DestinyCall wrote:

but I feel like running back to shelter every X minutes to "warm up" would get old fast.

That's a good point but since it's exponential at first you wouldn't even notice it and then gradually consume more food, so it's all a matter of balancing wether it's annoying or something that makes it more challenging.

But you couldn't be naked or almost naked outside for the whole game and consume almost no food like currently that's for sure.

#6 2020-01-14 12:05:14

pein

I miss a goal
a sense of value
a sense of belonging

my best bet right now would be that making territories and bonuses could work
maybe 2 teams of 4 races (or remove the whole race thing), hard lock on it weekly, you could be either team A or B, swap once (or make swapping often bad for your meme scores)

then a contest between these groups of familiess to reach a goal
like financial victory, territory control, some sort of cultural victory
maybe controlling relics etc etc.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2020-01-14 13:29:30

Mekkie

Invert the gene score tool capacities.  Let noobs have 15 slots, give vets the default 6.  Let vets struggle with trying to revive/build towns with the same restrictions that chase all the noobs out of the game.

Bah who am i kidding, just get rid of the damn tool slots.

#8 2020-01-14 16:15:59

Gogo
Banned

The line between 'too frustrating' and 'too boring' is very thin.

#9 2020-01-14 16:28:55

DestinyCall

Gogo wrote:

The line between 'too frustrating' and 'too boring' is very thin.

I'm curious, which side of the line should Jason aim for?

And some changes manage to perfectly straddle that line ... too boring and too frustrating at the same time, like race restrictions.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-01-14 16:33:27)

#10 2020-01-14 16:30:56

Gogo
Banned

Frustrating. There should always be some problems to solve.

#11 2020-01-14 16:32:45

Villas

Poor Eves... sad

#12 2020-01-14 16:37:11

fug

Mekkie wrote:

Invert the gene score tool capacities.  Let noobs have 15 slots, give vets the default 6.  Let vets struggle with trying to revive/build towns with the same restrictions that chase all the noobs out of the game.

That would be abysmal. I'm not playing at all currently because I can't justify dumping the 40 hours or whatever it is to ignore tool slots again on a fresh account after playing for 2k hours. I can't even justifying trying to tell my friends "look at all this cool stuff added we should play!" because the time sink required to play is so high AND has the potential to need to be redone whenever Jason feels like wiping meme score.

No thanks at all. The game is fun but not afk for forty hours for babies fun.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#13 2020-01-14 16:44:40

Dodge

fug wrote:
Mekkie wrote:

That would be abysmal. I'm not playing at all currently because I can't justify dumping the 40 hours or whatever it is to ignore tool slots again on a fresh account after playing for 2k hours. I can't even justifying trying to tell my friends "look at all this cool stuff added we should play!" because the time sink required to play is so high AND has the potential to need to be redone whenever Jason feels like wiping meme score.

Obviously if you play it like a solo game...

#14 2020-01-14 17:04:27

DestinyCall

Dodge wrote:
fug wrote:
Mekkie wrote:

Obviously if you play it like a solo game...

As compared with Jason's vision of tool slots encouraging player interactions?    Oh please.   Looking for someone who knows "hot coals" before the fire burns out completely is not thrilling game-play.   Ordering a child to make you a shovel because you don't want to waste half your slots working the forge is also more frustrating than it is challenging, especially when you are working against the clock to finish an important task before you die.   Avoiding necessary work because you don't want to waste a tool slot on a single tool use encourages players to skip fun group activities like pie-baking or clay firing.   Doing something as useful as making clothing for your children can use up a slot you need later in your life to fix the town's well.     And since you only know how many slots you have left when you have already used one, it is possible to run out of tool slots much earlier than you intend ... and then spend the rest of your life nagging other people to do your work for you.

Tool slots are an ugly and unpleasant mechanic.   The only reason why it doesn't get more complaints is because it is distributed so unevenly across the player base.    If you play frequently, you can eventually push your genetic score high enough to get more slots than your play-style requires, so it stops bothering you.  Not because playing with tool slots is fun or interesting and encourage meaningful interactions between players, but because you eventually don't need to worry about the slots and can do what you want with your time regardless.    New players have to deal with tool slots much more than seasoned veterans and with much less hope of overcoming the barrier by raising their genetic score gradually.

#15 2020-01-14 18:12:35

Dodge

DestinyCall wrote:

What's the issue about asking your son to learn smithing because the villages needs it?

Sure right now tools slots still dont make sense because everyone shares everything but at one point hopefully each group of family will have their own property and then tools slots with jobs will make sense since it will make trading an essential part of survival and civilisations.

But if you can do everything then why would you trade with someone since you can do it yourself and it would be faster than trying to trade?

Anyway the next step is to bring this concept of private property in the game and having challenging gameplay and houses be essential is a big part of it.

Otherwise why would you bother having a private property with a house since there is an overabundance of food everywhere.

#16 2020-01-14 18:52:07

DestinyCall

Why would I bother building a house if I was starving?

#17 2020-01-14 19:22:31

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

You could gather materials your whole life.  You could bring lots of firewood to camps.  You could talk to players and try to communicate with them.  You could farm.  You could gather many ropes.  It's a one hour game.  It just sounds like you find trying to do things that require less tools too boring.  That doesn't sound like good foundations for a game to me.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#18 2020-01-14 20:14:29

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
fug wrote:

You could gather materials your whole life.  You could bring lots of firewood to camps.  You could talk to players and try to communicate with them.  You could farm.  You could gather many ropes.  It's a one hour game.  It just sounds like you find trying to do things that require less tools too boring.  That doesn't sound like good foundations for a game to me.

It also takes no tool slots to water grief.   I hear all the cool kids are gathering adobe these days.

#19 2020-01-14 20:38:59

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
fug wrote:

It also takes no tool slots to water grief.   I hear all the cool kids are gathering adobe these days.

Fug likes to break things as I recall.  Lineage death is inevitable right now.  Maybe some players would enjoy more challenge in playing the game with less water avaliable to use?  That's not my opinion, but Jason has thought one more than ocassion that a decreased water supply is better for things.

Here's some ideas on what a water griefer might do if you want to think about more ways to break things fug: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8906

I also saw most to all of a jungle of chopped up rubber trees on the discord if you missed it fug.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-01-14 20:43:56)

Danish Clinch.

#20 2020-01-14 21:44:31

Cantface

A decreased water supply? Last time I played most big towns were struggling to get the correct coloured people needed to actually keep a water supply going so no I wouldn't like it! I don't play on the less populated servers either I don't get to play in paradise lol.

Don't like the idea of even less tool slots because I've had more gameplay hours than new ppl, I would literally just quit at that point. hmm Is this a legit suggestion?

I wouldn't appreciate it if OHOL became grindier, more repetitive and harder just because boredom. I don't have oodles of patience to give because I've given it all away already. "╭( ಥ﹏ಥ)╮"

Breasticles

#21 2020-01-14 21:56:32

DestinyCall

Cantface wrote:

A decreased water supply? Last time I played most big towns were struggling to get the correct coloured people needed to actually keep a water supply going so no I wouldn't like it! I don't play on the less populated servers either I don't get to play in paradise lol.

Don't like the idea of even less tool slots because I've had more gameplay hours than new ppl, I would literally just quit at that point. hmm Is this a legit suggestion?

I wouldn't appreciate it if OHOL became grindier, more repetitive and harder just because boredom. I don't have oodles of patience to give because I've given it all away already. "╭( ಥ﹏ಥ)╮"

I completely agree.   Call me a filthy casual if you must, but I don't enjoy fighting against game systems that hate me and hate the very concept of fun itself.

I like OHOL.  I want to play OHOL.  Let me have fun playing it.   That's all I ask.   I want problems that I am capable of solving.   Challenges that are satisfying to overcome.  Cute or pretty or interesting objects to collect or make for the fun of creating something different.

I want more Stardew Valley and less Rust.

#22 2020-01-14 22:34:29

Cantface

DestinyCall wrote:

I completely agree.   Call me a filthy casual if you must, but I don't enjoy fighting against game systems that hate me and hate the very concept of fun itself.

Me and you both, guess us plebs have to just hope and pray, maybe to one of the old gods like berry or goose big_smile 

DestinyCall wrote:

I like OHOL.  I want to play OHOL.  Let me have fun playing it.   That's all I ask.   I want problems that I am capable of solving.   Challenges that are satisfying to overcome.  Cute or pretty or interesting objects to collect or make for the fun of creating something different.

I don't think it would be a stretch to say a majority of players would agree with you on that too. Some people think fun content isn't 'needed' (tatts, Halloween masks, rosy hats etc) but I like these small little gifts that let us light up trees, dress fancy or even new cooking recipes I appreciate them all! I wish machinery and tools would start upgrading but hey we can't have it all right now.

DestinyCall wrote:

I want more Stardew Valley and less Rust.

Oof I feel that. I enjoyed playing stardew valley for ages and only every watched rust vids on yt because the game is clearly far too chaotic for me to actually play.
I've been watching a lot of OHOL lately...which is a lil worrying lol; Twisted/Wasabi/Doctrzombie/Telafiesta etc and I find I still don't want to play the game regularly myself because their games are already full of situations that I don't really miss.

Breasticles

#23 2020-01-14 23:31:45

Spoonwood

Thanks... I didn't know that footage from the Boots lineage existed on YouTube.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer