One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-12 08:31:47

Dodge

Continents and oceans.

The goal with the rift is to have a continuity and a long term challenge as opposed to towns that get lost forever in sometimes less than a day.

But it brings some issues with it, notably the ease of griefing, every town is relatively close to each other and what you do on the map affects every town.

Also some players like more variety and after a certain point every tech on the map mixes up and everyone is more or less at the same point (no more classic Eve runs or small villages)

What if the map was separated into continents with oceans in between?

The world would still be limited with a finite ammount of ressources and a long term goal.

But we could have an Eve for example at day 3 spawning in a new untouched continent that would start a small village.

And some civilisations would be separated by oceans, so it would be way less accessible to grief.

Also what if you couldn't chose in which family you're born (with /die or baby running)?

Griefers are a big issue partly because they can easily group up, but if you remove the ability to choose where you're born and you separate them with continents and oceans they couldn't group up so easily and would be vulnerable to regular curses.

Asides from the issue of griefing it could make the game more interesting, we could imagine thundra, desert and jungle behing separate continents, so you would have to travel by boat to get these ressources.

Or each continent could have the basic 4 biomes + a special one, so when travelling and needing ressources you might have to interact with the civilisations on that continent before you can access these ressources.

#2 2019-08-12 08:38:43

DestinyCall

Re: Continents and oceans.

How would you stop people from choosing the family they wanted to live with?

#3 2019-08-12 08:44:41

Grim_Arbiter

Once we get a more stable reset condition, I think this will be settled somehow.

I think an even easier solution is to keep the rift, keep the spawning in the center, but flood one side of the rift at a 3000 or 4000 year point. That side fills with water while the others remain dry.

When that side is flooded, a ferry can be made to cross it. The other side is another same sized rift.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-08-12 08:52:11

Dodge

DestinyCall wrote:

How would you stop people from choosing the family they wanted to live with?

You die under 14 (or something like that) = you get reborn in the same family to a different mother but still in the same family, so most of the time on the same continent.

#5 2019-08-12 08:59:06

DestinyCall

What if there is no other available mother in the same family?   Like if all moms are on cooldown or there is only one fertile woman left.

#6 2019-08-12 09:21:00

Dodge

DestinyCall wrote:

What if there is no other available mother in the same family?   Like if all moms are on cooldown or there is only one fertile woman left.

It could either bypass the cooldown or be the only exception where you can be born in one single other family.

But the point is it couldn't be gamed so you couldn't easily group up with others and start griefing.

Griefers can currently easily group up, create their own town and cause trouble to other villages, but if you remove their ability to regroup then they are isolated.

It would be a hassle to regroup each life from the different continents (find/make a boat, find and travel to a specific continent, then try to organize to make a group activity, but by that time one would be old, the other a kid and the third one already dead).

They could still coordinate via discord, but they would be separate in game which would make it way less interesting for them and also they couldn't really have organized raids.

Worst case scenario they make their own pirate island where they store all their loot and try to regroup each time (without fully succeeding).

#7 2019-08-12 09:51:59

JonySky
Website

I read a long time ago that the seas and rivers and collective transport are characteristics that the OHOL engine cannot do ...
Some time ago we talked about this and we were told that it was not possible

It is an idea that I have always liked very much! but apparently it is easier to get everyone together in a box full of swords and people wanting to kill

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=293

jasonrohrer wrote:

Regarding rivers and other bodies of water, I really have to pick my battles.  Getting a river system in place, with boats and such, would require a lot of extra coding.

At some point, I needed to stop adding engine features (feature creep) and just make content with the engine that I have.  That engine has TONS of possibilities that are worth exploring.  Rivers are not one of those possibilities.

Any time I spent programming rivers would mean weeks without content updates during that time....

Last edited by JonySky (2019-08-12 10:04:10)

#8 2019-08-12 10:04:26

Dodge

He did talk about oceans as a possibility (rivers would actually be more complicated to implement)

I dont remember in which topic it was but basically he talked about making the default map all water then add biomes on top that would make the continents, so it is not impossible that this could be added someday.

#9 2019-08-12 10:30:45

JonySky
Website

Dodge wrote:

He did talk about oceans as a possibility (rivers would actually be more complicated to implement)

I dont remember in which topic it was but basically he talked about making the default map all water then add biomes on top that would make the continents, so it is not impossible that this could be added someday.

there is nothing impossible ... luck!

#10 2019-08-12 18:28:41

OminousBladeBlank

I like the idea of opening the rift into new rifts. It should be our 'win' condition. Last long enough or reach the right tech, and the map size increases by one rift-sized-box. Until defeat.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#11 2019-08-12 18:40:14

DestinyCall

OminousBladeBlank wrote:

I like the idea of opening the rift into new rifts. It should be our 'win' condition. Last long enough or reach the right tech, and the map size increases by one rift-sized-box. Until defeat.

We could escape this box in one day if Jason allowed planes to fly out.

#12 2019-08-12 18:47:22

OminousBladeBlank

DestinyCall wrote:
OminousBladeBlank wrote:

We could escape this box in one day if Jason allowed planes to fly out.

Yeah but I'm saying you increase the playable map. A really expensive tech that is similar to the apocalypse tower in the level of commitment.Increase the rift by one map-sized chunk. One of the hilarious things about planes now is that they are useless right? I mean, just use a horse. Planes seem foolish.

What if with an engine, a lot of gold, a lot of oil, and a lot of waiting, we could make a bridge over the rift into another chunk. A tech that takes a couple days of cooperation. That kind of thing.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#13 2019-08-12 19:37:21

DestinyCall

Yes, I proposed something like this in my Rift Tribes post.   I'm interested to hear what Jason thinks of the idea.

#14 2019-08-13 03:09:59

Lava

The planes were the win condition. Its like prestiging and it adds to the progression

Board footer