One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-16 14:46:30

pein

Mini guide: letters

Letters can be placed on small signs, big signs and boards on corner pillars of stone walls
if you lock it up, no one can change it, this cost 2 steel, one for lock, one for key, and you canrecycle key if you no longer want to open that sign

XvjN6Mp.png
to make letters you need saplings or home markers, skewers
if you see multiple home markers, you can cut all but one, everyoen can use the same marker
yo ucna either go out and get skewers from wild (which can be used as tilling instead of hoes)
or plant your own
you can cut a wild sapling with flitn chip or knife and plant the sapling seed
then cut the planted one and get more of them

cxH51Im.png

There are 26 letters and the hyphen 27
Now when you want to make any letter, the first step is the same: cut with flint chip to convert to letter stock
after that you got 3 options:
Cut with flint chip to get an "I"
Cut with sharp stone to get a "V"
Cook it to get a bendy letterstock.

The "I" can be further cut for a "-" (hyphen), this is generally used to push letters to new lines and 8 other letters
The "I" can be used in 6 other letters
The "V" is used in 3 other letters

The bendy letterstock can be used to make a "U" which can be further cut into "J" or bended in bowl again for a "C"
while it cost a kindling and a water, you can cook pads, create paint
and the ashes to create niter solution for photos, so you can make them in batch and wont be so expensive
So all this can be considered cheap letters "VICUJ-"

The other letters use at least one more sapling and the combination of "VI-"
these are "WKA" which can be further cut into "HNXY"
"TL" is a also a simple combination
The combinations using "CUJ"are: "DGS"

The 3 sapling combos are: "FZGM"

there is E which uses 4 saplings

there is O which uses a thread
and the combinations of "O" include "PQB" where "P" can be made into "R" with one additonal sapling
B is using 2 threads so is a nightmare letter

sorry if i did any error

updated at 16 June 2019 17:47:42

Last edited by pein (2019-06-16 14:47:45)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2019-06-16 15:51:59

InSpace

Re: Mini guide: letters

https://onetech.info/letters

Also use this one, you can write whole words and it shows all the steps you need to do

#3 2019-06-20 20:49:15

ollj

wow, this system is just really dumb gamedesign.
dumb as in, most of the game is great abstracted simplification, but for no good reason the crafting of glyphs is very detailed and wasting many resources with its obsessive detail.
too many different ingredients. codec should be more binary.
Huffman-coding morse-code would have been better?
that actually teaches something somewhat worthwhile, to a point, where the radio light may actually be read by people, using the same morse-code.

defining a [signed distance field] to a glyph of any alphabet is an art in itself, that gains fame on www.shadertoy.com , ever since mercury.sexy/hg_sdf (and inigo quilez homepages) inspired many, with various spartial folds and carthesian to polar tranlations.
but in the end, you can simplify all glyphs (in allcaps) to quater circles and straight lines.
The same "simpler is better" princimples seem to apply to any SDF, you are easily tempted to define many different precise shapes, but in the end, you really just need an ellipsoid and a smooth-minimum-union (and quaternion rotation), to sculpt almost anything efficiently in high detail.
SDF for glyphs most common application is how [team fortress 2] comprersses text for decals, as an [SDF] scales and compresses very nicely.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-20 21:08:19)

#4 2019-06-20 23:17:35

RodneyC86

Urgh, I know this is supposed to be analog. But this is way too much effort for a sign, and too many saplings. Why can't we just grab a bucket of tar and a brush?

#5 2019-06-20 23:54:04

Tarr
Banned

RodneyC86 wrote:

Urgh, I know this is supposed to be analog. But this is way too much effort for a sign, and too many saplings. Why can't we just grab a bucket of tar and a brush?

Simple answer: Because it was added before paper so the idea of making a sign read something out seemed like a good long term investment.

Jason answer: Because making letters is hard thus making a sign should be difficult.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-06-21 00:06:44)

fug it’s Tarr.

#6 2019-06-20 23:55:35

RodneyC86

Tarr wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

Simple answer: Because it was added before paper so the idea of making a sign that read out said something seemed like a good long term investment.

Jason answer: Because making letters is hard thus making a sign should be difficult.

Yes I can already tell Jason would give that kind of answer. Thanks Tarr.

Btw, you play slime rancher? Is that why you call yourself Tarr?

#7 2019-06-21 00:53:08

antking:]#

InSpace wrote:

https://onetech.info/letters

Also use this one, you can write whole words and it shows all the steps you need to do

how in the world did you find that?

on one teck?

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

Board footer