One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-25 20:16:52

futurebird

What if you stayed with one family until that family died out?

When you are born in the game as a "Jones" you will always be born to a "Jones" woman from that point on as long as there are fertile women in the line. If there are none, you can't get back in the game for a bit and would gain a new family. This would really make people care about their family since it's your future, not only will you live in that town again, but it's the ONLY place you can live.

As the population expands more people would be added to the family this might make towns more sustainable and stable.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-05-25 20:25:05

Tarr
Banned

Re: What if you stayed with one family until that family died out?

The problem leads to people griefing lineages of people they don't like repeatedly by being stuck to them, or killing the females to escape whatever camp/city/village they want to get out of. It also allows players to repeatedly work on a project so long as someone in the village is fertile which is something Jason is pretty much 120% against.

Also, we have the issue of there's no reason to play male in these sort of situations as you can reliably come back to the family due to the spawn mechanics so the whole village is likely to suicide to girl.

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2019-05-25 20:31:49

futurebird

Well add marriage at the same time (it would start a new name/lineage)

I don't see griefing as any bigger of an issue than we have now. People could still use /die and if a griefer got cursed they would not be able to come back to that family.

---
omnem cibum costis

#4 2019-05-25 22:31:47

lychee

For me personally, I don’t think that players should spawn to anyone they knew in their previous life. That level of continuity just seems a little too close.

If it were great grandchildren/etc, this would ensure that it feels like the village feels somewhat remote — not like constantly respawning in the same place immediately.

#5 2019-05-25 22:57:46

Amon

If the getting reborn back should only really matter to your own direct descendants., and maybe only after a generation had passed, now that is realyl about caring about your own descendants, it's your direct own descendants not some random ol. jones. N cousin Y removed.
But it shouldn't be all about that, it would get monotone quick,

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#6 2019-05-26 01:34:51

w0wma

as long as it's not a ginger family, i'd like that.

#7 2019-05-26 02:38:17

RodneyC86

If we can respawn in same family repeatedly, there's no point in dying. It is precisely because we can die we feel the urgency to accomplish things efficiently. What you are suggesting is giving everyone basically immortality.

And if you have read stories, mythologies and legends , you would know immortals are douchebags, eventually

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-05-26 02:38:43)

#8 2019-05-26 06:29:47

Starknight_One

Hmm.

On the one hand, it *would* make you care about your family more. On the other, soloing multi-generational projects was never intended.

How about a limited subset? When you first are born, the server chooses 3 or 4 lineages as potential families for you to spawn into - and those are your families for the next day, or until they die out. When one of 'your' lines dies (or has no fertile/potentially fertile women), a replacement is chosen from among the other existing lineages - or you spawn as an Eve, if there's a slot available.

I do think limiting players to one Eve attempt per day (with potentially a way to gain a second shot through in-game actions, either yours or your descendants, or both) and pushing the Eve spawns out a bit - 400 tiles or so, maybe - would go a long way towards stabilizing the situation there, and allow neighboring but not overlapping villages to form.

#9 2019-05-26 14:38:13

miskas

I like the Idea but only if one of your children commits time to honor you.
Bury you with a particular ceremony for example. And I want to have the choice to spawn back or not.
You need to make it special, to need time and co-operation so it's been something the players will put an effort to achieve. This way communication will be increased, the ties between generations will be strengthened and the feeling of belonging will be inspired.

(the spamming /die is not the way this is supposed to work. you don't choose your family, your family choose you)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#10 2019-05-26 15:19:28

futurebird

That's a cool idea, miskas. If you are buried with a grave stone you get tied to a family and will go to that same family every other gen if it's possible. A bit softer than what I had in mind but it would help anchor towns by having some continuity of the population.

---
omnem cibum costis

Board footer