One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-04-28 23:17:12

fug

Re: Griefer Steals Tools and Cant kill Him?

Instead of making more it would make sense to allow them to be cleaned this way bad management = waste, good management = saved resources.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#27 2020-04-28 23:57:59

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Something like 25% of players were the victim of murder each day before.... that was pretty high, and getting murdered was a core part of the experience for a lot of people, especially new players.

And very few people were saved by healing.

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9090

#28 2020-04-28 23:59:52

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'll change the Victim Terrified state (where they whimper over and over) to be triggered only when a deadly posse has been formed against them.

Actually, this alleviates the need for a DING as victim, telling you about the min posse size.  If you're in danger of being killed by the formed posse, your character whimpers over and over.

#29 2020-04-29 01:03:29

Coconut Fruit

jasonrohrer wrote:

Something like 25% of players were the victim of murder each day before.... that was pretty high, and getting murdered was a core part of the experience for a lot of people, especially new players.

And very few people were saved by healing.

These statistics feel weird to me... Back then I used to play a lot and I was murdered so rarery. I know some people asked to be killed when they were old age, just for fun. I know we often had not enough healing pads, but it was our fault if we didn't have them. People also struggled to heal arrow wounds, in most cases shooting someone with a bow meant certain kill.
I'm not sure if new players had negative feelings about the game only because they were randomly killed... I haven't had for sure. Do more people stay with the game only because they see less killing?

It was realistic and a cool system IMO, we had all the tools needed to deal with all problems and griefers... I mean, people weren't complaining about it (as far as I know) so I guess it wasn't an issue that should be changed. If healing was buffed a little it could make things only better.
But I can deal with it it's gone now. Hopefully all issues will with the current system will be fixed at some point.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-04-29 01:07:12)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#30 2020-04-29 08:09:01

DestinyCall

Jason did some data collection prior to rolling out the no-solo killing thing.   The murder statitics were pretty staggering.    I knew we had a lot of murders, but it was a bit unsettling to see how common it was.  Not surprisingly, most of the killing was done by a handful of players.   The average murderer killed one or two victims.   The most active murderer had more than twenty kills during the sample period. 

Keep in mind, this was after Jason added the warning system, so you were notified when someone was targeting you.   I assume the numbers would have been even worse prior to that change.

In my own experience, I was rarely the victim of a random killer, but I witnessed many murders, usually at least one or two every life, sometimes entire strings of death.    I do not miss that aspect of the game, but I really don't care for the current posse system either.  It is too hard to use it when you DO need it.

#31 2020-04-29 16:12:16

Legs

Murder mouth was a good middle ground between no-solo and instant-kill. With the posse system killing is effectively removed from the game. It was in the game for a reason, jason added it deliberately. If someone is being a blatant nuisance you should have a way to stop them. Posse system is too complicated for it to work as intended.

Murder mouth allowed a spectrum of force. You can flash a weapon. You can make murder mouth just for a second to threaten, stopping before the timer runs out. You can chase someone around then after they escape talk and make peace. At the very least, murder mouth meant running them off. In no-solo the greifer just stands there completely unaffected until somebody has to drop what they're holding to eat, then the crowd gets bored and wanders off.

Loco Motion

#32 2020-04-29 18:38:58

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Legs, I've been killed by a posse many times myself (when I'm playing as Jason), so it seems to be working....

However, it's true that killing is very rare now.  Yesterday, there were 9 kills total.  5 group kills, 4 solo kills.

I'm making posses stronger and easier to use (see update).

Board footer