One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-06 09:58:15

Potjeh

Re: Update: The Apocalypse

I like it, but I think it should only apply to the server it was made at.

#27 2018-04-06 10:02:38

Aname

breezeknight wrote:

i will try to explain why i like that apocalypse update

1. it circumvents all the problems with griefers (no tools of destruction easily available by stealing from & shiting on all those who can make them)
2. it prevents the servers from exploding (it's an open world management game with the usual problems usual players are not aware of mixing it up with limited prescripted RPG/FPS)
3. it cleanses all the giant monstroCities (sorry unbound builders tongue )
4. players remaining are true fans of the OHOL cool

But i spend many lives in building a giant storage in a big city just to see how it gets destroyed by a apocalypse.

but im not mad its just pretty sad. i made my first house i was pretty proud of it and whenever i spawned at that village i was going to build my house bigger and make a farm next to it. and now its just gone. my first building.

atleast griefers cant destroy villages anymore because there arent any villages left.

but i still will be playing the game. but i wont really play today because someone is trying to speed run apocalypses so i dont see why i need to build things if its getting destroyed the same day.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#28 2018-04-06 10:03:15

Eccola

I think the apocalypses should be limited by time, say, opportunity of apocalypse after three weeks or a month, if someone does it, ok, if not, its still timed that three weeks or month after they manage to trigger it for the next one.

Last edited by Eccola (2018-04-06 10:04:41)

#29 2018-04-06 10:06:26

breezeknight

Aname wrote:

Only problem now is that people are trying a speed run for apocalypses they are making the third apocalypse right now.

looks like OHOL is the true indie Live Service model lol

so just relax, if you still like this game, stay on board, participate, make suggestions, discuss

how many games out there provide what Jason are acomplishing right now with OHOL ?

after i've been burned by several game devs with their "visions", droped projects, incomplete "games" & buggy messes, i might be starting to trust Jason with this one, i am quite new to this game, so for now i just look out for how i can have fun on the road of OHOL cool

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-06 10:07:23)

#30 2018-04-06 10:17:29

Aname

breezeknight wrote:
Aname wrote:

Only problem now is that people are trying a speed run for apocalypses they are making the third apocalypse right now.

looks like OHOL is the true indie Live Service model lol

so just relax, if you still like this game, stay on board, participate, make suggestions, discuss

how many games out there provide what Jason are acomplishing right now with OHOL ?

after i've been burned by several game devs with their "visions", droped projects, incomplete "games" & buggy messes, i might be starting to trust Jason with this one, i am quite new to this game, so for now i just look out for how i can have fun on the road of OHOL cool

The game has much potential its a fun game if you can see past the griefing and killing. and i dont mind that there is a apocalypse.

its just that the trolls have way more advantages. and apocalypse is for all the servers not just for the on that the apocalypse is made.

Still love the game i trust that is prob gonna turn out to be a good game. But i will stop playing for some days

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#31 2018-04-06 10:50:31

yvanhooe

What I loved about OHOL was that this was a MEANINGFUL place to make a small change. It was a breath of fresh air in a time full of all these games where you could do the same shallow quest over and over again in a world where nothing would ever change. Here I would make a few clothes, fix the fence, extend the road. I would spend one hour making it better for everybody, hoping it would actually last enough to, gradually, make a change.

Before the update, only one. After the update, zero.

#32 2018-04-06 11:00:15

breezeknight

Aname wrote:
breezeknight wrote:

i will try to explain why i like that apocalypse update

1. it circumvents all the problems with griefers (no tools of destruction easily available by stealing from & shiting on all those who can make them)
2. it prevents the servers from exploding (it's an open world management game with the usual problems usual players are not aware of mixing it up with limited prescripted RPG/FPS)
3. it cleanses all the giant monstroCities (sorry unbound builders tongue )
4. players remaining are true fans of the OHOL cool

But i spend many lives in building a giant storage in a big city just to see how it gets destroyed by a apocalypse.

but im not mad its just pretty sad. i made my first house i was pretty proud of it and whenever i spawned at that village i was going to build my house bigger and make a farm next to it. and now its just gone. my first building.

atleast griefers cant destroy villages anymore because there arent any villages left.

but i still will be playing the game. but i wont really play today because someone is trying to speed run apocalypses so i dont see why i need to build things if its getting destroyed the same day.

sorry to say that but

i invested many hours in games & franchises which got wiped out, & that's just about games, so ... that's how it actually is IRL
in that respect is this game indeed simulating RL, that makes it to something more philosophical than just another settlement builder

#33 2018-04-06 11:07:11

breezeknight

yvanhooe wrote:

What I loved about OHOL was that this was a MEANINGFUL place to make a small change. It was a breath of fresh air in a time full of all these games where you could do the same shallow quest over and over again in a world where nothing would ever change. Here I would make a few clothes, fix the fence, extend the road. I would spend one hour making it better for everybody, hoping it would actually last enough to, gradually, make a change.

Before the update, only one. After the update, zero.

there are several settlement/town builders out there, where this, to build, is their main goal, quite many even rather well made
OHOL was never really about mainly settlement building, you just ignored the signs, they are all there, all the death happpening along the way, babies dying, young mothers killed by wolves, in one hour is one life with one name wiped out forever - this game IS SAD, makes me tremendously melancholic, the music ...

but this is how life is, we just prefer not to think about it, it would make most of us depressed all the time

#34 2018-04-06 11:42:09

afloatingstone

"As players keep climbing up through the tech tree, I'll be staying one step ahead of them by adding new stuff to the game every week." -J Rohrer (One Hour One Life - Trailer)
5 weeks later the game has stagnated because the tech tree hasn't been advanced in any satisfying way. I understand the benefit of a server reset - but allowing it to happen so frequently just destroys the game. There is no longer any point in building structures or contributing to the advancement of a society. The basic premise of the game is undermined in this way. 'Just surviving' is not really a satisfying way to play the game, but if there is no hope of improving things for the next generations, just surviving is all we have left.
I am writing this because I love the game and don't want to see it die, but for it to deliver on its potential it needs more than one developer working on it. Apocalypse No.

#35 2018-04-06 12:17:35

yvanhooe

I want to add to that that there was actually a nice emerging force driving natural reset of cities: new biomes. New biomes are created in areas that were never explored. On server 3 that meant you had to go very far to get alum in order to dye clothes for instance or to get snake skin. It came to the point where I was actually planning to start a new settlement at the westernmost point of the road.

New biomes with new resources gives an incentive to make new cities closer to them. No need for a reset, this was already happening organically.

#36 2018-04-06 12:34:39

Zem71

Calm down everyone!!! (that always works, right?) Jason will be balancing this mechanic.

In the meantime, if you don't want to the world to blow up, then we need to protect the monoliths. I am personally outlawing gold and any products made from it. The threat of world destruction is more important than your shiny baubles! I will also instruct all of my children regarding the dangers of gold.

- Zem71: Luddite, Protector of the Monolith, hoarder of gold, Father of Dragons

Last edited by Zem71 (2018-04-06 12:35:43)

Luddite, Protector of the Monolith, Hoarder of Gold, Father of Dragons

#37 2018-04-06 12:42:29

Pediluve

Hum, it's going to be hard to protect monolith on EVERY servers.

Plus the point of ''Afloatingstone'' is that Jason made a promise, and isn't following it.
He saw his game too big.
The solutions for people to not get to the end of the tech tree before the next update ? simple ! allow people to blow up every servers whenever they want.

You can understand how frustrating it is to know that everything you've done, every roads between village, every village you tried to save by being a new eve here or by being sold because you're a girl.
Family lineage means nothing right now because you always know that in less than a day it'll be lost.

I have a blast playing this game, but this apocalypse thing makes me.. sad actually. loosing everything because someone wants to do it without even being possible to stop it (you could camp a monolith during 5 hours straight by getting the pos and returning to it after dying, someone on another servers still can destroy everything.).

#38 2018-04-06 12:48:13

breezeknight

the main thing that bothers be though with the apocalypse is not that cities are being wiped out but that families are being as well

if there are no cities, then there are only new Eves in nowhere, all the family trees are dead with the apocalypse

the game became unbalanced after that update, yep

& it makes absolutely NO SENSE whatsoever to even bother to name anybody in this game since the quickest next apocalypse will wipe out all servers, private included if on the last update

so why are there names in this game at all ?

names became useless & that makes me quite demotivated

- - -

the other issue is the scarcity of the map, it takes simply too long to run naked from one biome to another in search of all things needed to get somewhere
spawned as baby to an Eve the communication is quite funny but totally dysfunctional

the scarcity of the map was already before an issue but one could have hoped to find some sort of a settlement & go from there, now one knows from the beginning that everybody is doomed because of those players whose only goal is to speed run for gold & monolith

one server successfully causing the apocalypse wipes everybody else's efforts

- - -

so really

needs heavy balancing

#39 2018-04-06 12:50:36

yvanhooe

Zem71 wrote:

Calm down everyone!!! (that always works, right?) Jason will be balancing this mechanic.

In the meantime, if you don't want to the world to blow up, then we need to protect the monoliths. I am personally outlawing gold and any products made from it. The threat of world destruction is more important than your shiny baubles! I will also instruct all of my children regarding the dangers of gold.

Won't work. There are many monoliths on each server. One complete server blows them all. The last apocalypse was brought by an Eve in a matter of two generations. Even if you were to succeed at hoarding gold over a wide area, someone could just go far enough to find some more, more monolith and finish the apocalypse.

Afloatingstone and Pediluve are right: this is a cheap tactic for Jason to keep afloat. Thing is, Jason, you don't HAVE to. A week is short enough to keep the new content fresh. Of course avid player that will play 5 hours straight after an update will complete the new tech tree quickly. Me, who plays a one hour game every day or so, it lasts me the week. Actually when the last update was out I still did not have the sheeps figured out.

#40 2018-04-06 13:08:33

Pediluve

I have a lot of fun playing this game.
I still haven't found everything out.
Like... how to make plates, bowl or things like that. smithing too !
Most of my lives, i try to be something ''special''
Sometimes i'll try to be the best mom possible but sometimes i'll try to be a good piemaker.
i've lived life taking care of farm during all my life to let other people be able to make the city grow even more.
I do not like the apocalypse thingy.
it's making the ''be a good mom'' process kinda... useless i guess ?
Well actually, i think it makes the whole game kinda useless.
the goal of the game is to let something for your kids, but what's the point if everything is gone in less than a day ?

''Jason explained it, it all make clear, you just have to wait'' sure i'll wait, but for how long ? in a week he added worms and apocalypse, I wonder how many time it'll take to get to our time.

He made a promise, at first i was amazed by him, Getting a full changelog, having stats, everything was so well made.
But right now, i can see that he's himself aware that he can't follow his own saying ''It's impossible for me to make content that will take you MORE than a week to play through if I only spend a week making it.".

So i think my hype for this game died today. i wanted to be able to let my mark from the stone age to the futur, but looks like it's not possible anymore...

I'll probably wait to play this game again and probably forget about it... Sad.

Last edited by Pediluve (2018-04-06 13:10:26)

#41 2018-04-06 13:28:05

Zem71

Pediluve wrote:

Hum, it's going to be hard to protect monolith on EVERY servers.

Plus the point of ''Afloatingstone'' is that Jason made a promise, and isn't following it.
He saw his game too big.
The solutions for people to not get to the end of the tech tree before the next update ? simple ! allow people to blow up every servers whenever they want.

You can understand how frustrating it is to know that everything you've done, every roads between village, every village you tried to save by being a new eve here or by being sold because you're a girl.
Family lineage means nothing right now because you always know that in less than a day it'll be lost.

I have a blast playing this game, but this apocalypse thing makes me.. sad actually. loosing everything because someone wants to do it without even being possible to stop it (you could camp a monolith during 5 hours straight by getting the pos and returning to it after dying, someone on another servers still can destroy everything.).

I totally agree on it being hard to protect the monoliths across all the servers. However, mothers teach new babies the laws of the land regarding farming, seeds, watering, etc. and people learned to survive better because of that. Preventing the apocalypse could be added to that list of "laws".

I've also seen that another apocalypse has happened since my last post so yeah.. this might be beyond the community to police in its current state. Balancing will come soon I hope.

#42 2018-04-06 13:41:54

Zem71

yvanhooe wrote:
Zem71 wrote:

Won't work. There are many monoliths on each server. One complete server blows them all. The last apocalypse was brought by an Eve in a matter of two generations. Even if you were to succeed at hoarding gold over a wide area, someone could just go far enough to find some more, more monolith and finish the apocalypse.

Will it stop every apocalypse? No.

Will it result in people having travel further and work harder to make it happen? Yes.

There is no perfect solution and there shouldn't be. Life isn't perfect.

That having been said, it looks like it's happening far to often, and it may be beyond the ability of the in game community to effectively police it, so some balancing is also needed.

-Zem71

#43 2018-04-06 14:02:18

Lexyvil

This might prevent me and my family from creating the best and biggest town in the long run, but I'm sure in the future, the apocalypse will get harder and harder to achieve as the tech tree gets more complex~

#44 2018-04-06 14:05:19

Maevre

This is exactly what I loved about the game. I could spent an hour building a well. Being proud and happy because I knew I'd made something that would last, that would help the people after me.
Bit by bit working together to create a better society. Trying to find ways to stop people(griefers) from ruining that, was part of the process. As well as optimizing our towns once we reached the end of the tech tree. Optimization to me, is as fun as all the rest. As well as taking the time to teach what we learned to those who haven't yet figured it all out.

Slowly building the world. Slowly some thriving towns emerged. Some family lines outlasting all others. Leaving a legacy, something for your children. Passing on the stories of your ancestors. Maybe in the future, there could be trade, wars, progress....

With this update, there is no more progress. Just a circular rush towards destruction.
(I could live with getting nukes in about two years.... But two years is very different from having an apocalypse twice a week... or as it is now: 5 times in 5 hours or so. And even so, nukes shouldn't destroy all live on all servers. I'd love to see survivors try to repopulate an irradiated wasteland. Mad Max anyone?)

I'm sorry, but as much as I love this game and what Jason is trying to do with it, this update makes me very sad.

Last edited by Maevre (2018-04-06 17:14:05)

#45 2018-04-06 14:14:46

Rebel

Love it, Although I do think he should have made some sort of end tech task or challenge that keeps the pro players entertained rather than this. Yeah, It sucks when a city reaches the end of the tech tree but that doesn't give them the right to stop other peoples cities from reaching it. a better solution would a decay system meaning players have to maintain a village to keep up its tech level, or like mentioned some sort of activity like a world boss or something that keeps pro players happy while the little guys build their towns. That being said, putting the ability to reset the world in players hands is a great idea and I can see full out wars happening to try to protect the world from ending. I am looking forward to see what this will add to the social aspect of the game.

#46 2018-04-06 14:58:54

Challenor

Think this is a terrible move.

If it activated a count down of a hour of two and there was a way to stop the world ending it would be a great addition, but this just means you will get people ending the world just to troll or film for YouTube.

The game was discribe as one where you created and maintained family lines over a long time on a persistent server. Now this has been altered in such a huge was, will you be offering refunds?

Last edited by Challenor (2018-04-06 15:00:42)

#47 2018-04-06 15:43:00

happynova

I will say that, while I understand Jason's reasoning and can sort of see the appeal for some subset of long-term, super-competent players who might be bored and enjoy starting over, or enjoy the challenge of ending it all, this is kind of discouraging for new players.  I've been here less than a week.  I never reached the end of the tech tree -- I've only just gotten to the point where I'm starting to feel remotely competent at basics like farming, pie making, and sewing -- and it looks like I'm unlikely to have the opportunity to get that far.  And before, even if the best my newbie self could manage was a little carrot farm in the middle of nowhere, or to help keep the food supply of a big civilization going, I could at least take some pride in the thought that those who came after might survive a little better because of me, or play towards the goal of helping my descendants survive for at least a few generations.

Now, it seems kind of pointless.  Which maybe is the point -- it's a game that does invite a certain amount of existential reflection.  But I'd think a society ought to at least advance to the point of nuclear weapons or bio warfare before it has to confront that particular existential crisis.

#48 2018-04-06 15:49:05

Lily

Challenor wrote:

Think this is a terrible move.

If it activated a count down of a hour of two and there was a way to stop the world ending it would be a great addition, but this just means you will get people ending the world just to troll or film for YouTube.

The game was discribe as one where you created and maintained family lines over a long time on a persistent server. Now this has been altered in such a huge was, will you be offering refunds?

Should have an hour before the horse god blows up the world, and every time you feed him a carrot the counter resets.

#49 2018-04-06 15:55:19

InSpace

Make some components of the apocalypse really time consuming. Like something that takes multiple lives to get so that griefers can't reset the map in a single life from scratch. Maybe growing a tree for a couple of lifetimes and tending to it for a part. Maybe charging it up with the "energy" of bones from a player that died of old age a couple of times, like once every hour a bunch of hours, that it becomes a grand thing to do.

#50 2018-04-06 16:22:29

Lily

InSpace wrote:

Make some components of the apocalypse really time consuming. Like something that takes multiple lives to get so that griefers can't reset the map in a single life from scratch. Maybe growing a tree for a couple of lifetimes and tending to it for a part. Maybe charging it up with the "energy" of bones from a player that died of old age a couple of times, like once every hour a bunch of hours, that it becomes a grand thing to do.

If you had to build the monolith that would make a lot more sense I think. I can see building that using more of the time consuming high tech stuff.

Board footer