One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-03-14 03:33:35

Morti

Re: I surrounded this town in wells.

wondible wrote:

Nice.

I've completed the red path between Gold Town and Tarr Monument, working on a path down to Slinkey Town and a path to Gay Town for the rest of the night.

GfJAWIq.png

A -560, -320 is Gay Town
O -200, -240 is a Tarry Spot
S -80, -360 is Slinkey Town
G -240, 40 is Gold Town
R -240, 240 is Argentina... Town
T is the Tarr Monument
and I use F to remember where I saw the last Flat stones.

RWd2zAH.jpg

There is already a road in the works connecting the Gay's to the Slinkey's, but I want to make one connecting the Gay's to the Golds, that way all towns are connected to Gold Town.

Something like this.

QSeSQ14.png

#27 2020-03-14 07:06:28

Morti

Jesus Family is just west of the old Gay Family Town

J is Jesus Family Home
L is Old Gay Family Home
S is Old Slinkey Family Home
T is Tarr Monument
G is Gold Family Home
R is Argentina Family Home
Z was just a point on the road between Gold and Gay I was just using to keep myself aligned.

pgOzX21.jpg

cJqGDU1.png

#28 2020-03-14 08:33:50

miskas

Morti! You are the greater builder Ohol ever meet. You have to start a construction company, have you ever tried to hire someone to help you ?

Hierarchy is nice for co-operation, I use it for rabbit hunting.
One is doing the work and the other brings the raw materials using a horse cart.

Last edited by miskas (2020-03-14 08:34:03)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#29 2020-03-14 08:42:02

Gogo
Banned

Oil pump I mentioned:

map.jpg

To the left from Gold family town, it can be already exhausted, cause there was a guy that was eager to bring many tanks.

#30 2020-03-14 17:28:38

Morti

Morti wrote:

"for the rest of the night."

It's now 11:46 AM.

Now it's 12:18, spent half an hour looking at the maps, wondering whats going to come of all this.

miskas wrote:

have you ever tried to hire someone to help you ?

I like to work hard at my own pace, but it's nice to see people helping.
It's tempting to lay each cart of flat rocks out ; it can be a small reward with each return trip, but it's far more effective to spend 40-45 minutes gathering and laying out flat rocks, before spending the last 3-10 minutes just repeating the staking and swapping of the stone with the flat rock, stake with the stone, etc.

I've taught maybe 20, maybe 30 people to do it in the last two years, but I'm guessing most people just pick up on what works on their own.

I have worked with other people, but, it's usually someone that comes to the end of the road, asks what I'm doing and then asks if they can help.
I like getting to know people through work. I like when a relationship, just sort of emerges, from the job.
It's similar to the pies, farming and smithing, but we see each other a lot less often and we don't talk much. We just like to see the world.

When I decide that's what I want to do, thats what I do, life, after life. And it's nice to find the same horse, and all my old clothes  and tools, and just get right back to the job. I kind of want to keep going, but if I don't take a break I'm going to get worse. I died a few times this morning, before hitting 60, just, slipping. Hunger when I wasn't clothed enough, I think a boar got me once... I killed most of the snakes and wolves, but there are still a few in the areas.

Two things people could do to help would be locking up the mosquitoes in a corner of the jungle southwest of the main Gold Family Home, and maybe putting some waystones at the intersections near the gold family, where the roads split three ways. Just so people who aren't yet familiar with the roads can touch the stones and get an idea where they lead. I saw a stack of maps one life, but I didn't grab them. I know some people like to make really large batches of paper and maps, that'd be really handy for putting some waystones around.

It's nice to just focus mostly on one thing, like gathering the flat rocks, because, I know where I've been for the last day, and, I like bringing in clothing, tools and food that I come across out in the woods, where people have starved or had accidents with wild animals. I just put the stuff along the road so people are more likely to see it.

If people want to help, I'll leave it up to them. Getting to know where things are takes time, and it's really unfortunate to see new people die to snakes, wolves, boars, bears and mosquitoes. It's one thing if I make a mistake, it's another if someone else does and I have to wonder if I'm going to see them again or, if they're going to call it quits or do something else. I wouldn't expect anyone else to commit to the job the way I do.

Gogo wrote:

Oil pump I mentioned:

I'll try to check it out this evening. Maybe I'll run the road at y=0 to the west, from the intersection south of the gold family. Last night/ this morning, was just me getting back in the swing of things, with the roads; see what sort of effect the new update had on working away from home. I kinda miss caring for kids on the road, some of my best experiences working with other people, have been with my kids, away from home.

Even took a break this morning for a few lives, just to raise and help some kids  at the well at -320, -240, right in the middle of the road network. I think Venus was the only one that stayed, but, it was enough, lot of people stayed around from her kids and their kids. Had a good time turnin that hole in the ground into a new home, thanks to someone else that'd tried to do the same and left a few farms and tools there.

https://onemap.wondible.com/#x=-311&y=- … 1584579790
21dJNmY.png

#31 2020-03-14 22:39:41

Gogo
Banned

Oil pump to the left from Golds are exhausted, Argentina's died out and there are new gingers, they just made diesel well - 1.0k from Gold's to the south-west (more south). All races are living diagonally now.

#32 2020-03-15 02:57:24

Morti

Gogo wrote:

Oil pump to the left from Golds are exhausted, Argentina's died out and there are new gingers, they just made diesel well - 1.0k from Gold's to the south-west (more south). All races are living diagonally now.

Expect that to continue. The "Eve Spiral" is really more like an "Eve Slant" with a bias toward south and west.

To try and counter that I am going to star working on wells north and east of the Origin. It will cause us to be more spread out, but I'll try to keep up with the roads along with the wells. Those of you who stay in the southwest, I don't blame you, go with the flow. After a hundred more Eve's your towns down at -1000, -1000, will be the center, but after a thousand more Eve's, they'll just be some remnants long forgotten, far to the northeast. That is, if the trend doesn't change. Which, it has before, obviously, we had weeks of it pushing us WNW, and then weeks of it pushing us S and SSE of that. But rarely north, and rarely east. So, with the 5 hours of sleep I managed to get (somewhere set a fire alarm off at dinner and I woke at the PC, head on the desk) I'll try to push things northeast... but saying that makes it feel like a commitment, and, I'm not always great with commitments.

--

I'm not feeling good. Maybe I have the Corona Borealis... XD Got drunk with a friend of mine a few weeks ago and we spent an hour making up dumb virus names at 4 am. Carnivirus, Cabela Virus, Coronidus... Circus Ridus. Guess you'd have to have been there. We knew this shit show was coming. Every 5-10 years it's another reason for people to panic, as we dumb apes realize we're not the only life forms evolving on this planet. The panic, bad looks and distrust will do far more harm. They always do. The average routine for people is being pushed towards isolationism. We are far weaker alone; politically, socially, economically, and, biologically. We have to decide what we value more, our own lives, or, our routines, our cultures, our reasons beyond ourselves.

I'm sure you understand; we have our towns, our roads, our tools and our jobs. Our lives last an hour, but the world goes on.

The world we make, goes on.

Don't die. I'll see you in game.

#33 2020-03-15 03:33:58

Legs

I don't want to contradict you in your own thread but the fact is that we are only strong alone. Isolation is a pillar of existence. Every man is an island. Everyone dies alone.

Don't let it get you down though you helpless idiot this just makes our shitty flawed human contact all the more precious for how shitty and flawed it is. Every day I make a conscious choice not to kill you, and you love me for it. Together, that's how we make society work.

Loco Motion

#34 2020-03-15 04:18:22

Morti

Wells of the northeast.
(Except H, that was someone's horsecart, brought it back to 200, 200.)

2ZTZWYz.jpg

#35 2020-03-15 04:34:30

Morti

Legs wrote:

I don't want to contradict you in your own thread but the fact is that we are only strong alone. Isolation is a pillar of existence. Every man is an island. Everyone dies alone.

Don't let it get you down though you helpless idiot this just makes our shitty flawed human contact all the more precious for how shitty and flawed it is. Every day I make a conscious choice not to kill you, and you love me for it. Together, that's how we make society work.

There are expressions to help tide over people in any situation. Thinking that you are strong alone because of some of them, doesn't actually make you stronger. It just consoles you in your isolation.

Life works best when it is densest. Your body is a perfect example of that, trillions of cells, all performing their role in a blob with the surface area of a meter or two.

On a smaller level, the organelles work the same way, as do the molecules and atoms inside them.

Stop trying to justify your isolation. It's not healthy, not for the whole. But there is a good justification for it. You can be a scout, a guinea pig, an example. As life pushes out into new areas, it has to send loners. What we used to refer to as cyberspace, is not that much different from actual space. We get to fuck ourselves over for the good of everyone watching. We are spectacles, for the sane people of the world, to watch and say "Oof. Glad I'm not THAT guy." while they please their wives and feed their children. And humanity grows; life, learns, from it's mistakes.

Being alone is a mistake.

But so is not making any.

#36 2020-03-15 05:21:49

Gogo
Banned

Without his roads we will be isolated for sure. xD

Morti wrote:

Expect that to continue. The "Eve Spiral" is really more like an "Eve Slant" with a bias toward south and west.

That's why I reclaimed abandoned well for whites to bring them closer to others, from Gold town south-west road till ancient walls, then straight right by spring path, they now live in 2 towns.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-03-15 05:22:12)

#37 2020-03-15 07:30:02

Morti

Gogo wrote:

Without his roads we will be isolated for sure. xD

I am not the only player fond of making roads. There are probably a dozen that play on a regular basis (weekly, if not daily).

When I first came back, in December, there were people making grand roads across the map. Decorating them with trees and food, that's the kind of thing I like to see when I look at wondible's map. That, and the towns, and the giant works of art.

Gogo wrote:

That's why I reclaimed abandoned well for whites to bring them closer to others, from Gold town south-west road till ancient walls, then straight right by spring path, they now live in 2 towns.

I see two extremes, for this new method of child placement. At peak hours we have 80, 90, maybe 100 people on simultaneously, on BS2. Either that is going to be 4 towns of, roughly 25 people each, or, it may be as many as 100 towns, where each person has their own well, knows their neighbors, and everyone knows the landscape and can opt to either stick around, helping the player they were born to, or, can return to one of their favorite places, and carry on building it up.

As the small camps surround the older towns, players can bring in oil near small camps, and take it to the stronger, centrally located towns.

Ideally the small ones would surround the old ones, but what we're going to get, if we let the Eve Spiral push us south and to the west, will be the old towns won't, be surrounded by fresh camps, players will have to travel 1k, 2k and 3k and more, if, they want to return to those old homes. That will make it harder and harder for the people born in the old ones, to get back, to the new ones, if what they want to do is layout farms, or, make their town's first bakery, or, anything. So, to avoid half life long trips back and forth, and to avoid players, having to reroll lives a dozen times, trying to get closer and closer to the place they want to be, we should be encircling where we have started, so that if you cannot be born at -600, -600, maybe you can be born at 600, 600, and you are only 600 steps away, if where you want to be is somewhere in the center.

From the start, that center was not 0,0. The first four towns that really got their heels in the ground were spread from x: -320, to -80 and from y: 240, down to -360.
That put the center of everything at about x:-120, y:-60 and it's begun shifting 200 to 400 southwest of that, each day. Yet, people climb their way back up, to the old towns, reclaim the wells for their family, and here we are.

This rubber banding is going to snap when it takes too long for people to go from the young towns they are born in, in the southwest, to the old towns they want to be in, near the center - when it takes too long for them to get home, and, go out to grab more oil. That might be a week from now, it might be a month from now.
I don't want people to lose their little personal places. Like their theaters, their shrines, their, bonzai sheds or their libraries. Those are the kinds of contributions to the world, that make the towns unique- it's what makes people want to be in one place over another, or this game, over... their farm in Stardew, or their settlement in Rimworld, or whatever other games people like to play.

I want these places to last. I want people to be happy, to return, and to find them; to find each other, in them. Just as people find their homes on Earth, welcoming places to return.

If we wind up 4 familes in a dozen towns, it'd be nice if those towns were all relatively close enough, that travel only took minutes, but far enough away that there is always a place, where you are welcome to be born. Otherwise we're going to be 90 people in 90 towns, community engagement will reach an all time low and this will be as much a failure as Castle Doctrine; some game you've probably never heard of. ;-)

Rips aside, I do want this game to be a great memory for everyone, and a good time for the rest of us. It'd be nice if the server wipes weren't necessary, or, encouraged, but as long as they are a part of what this is for us, and all our efforts, you know, maybe we could hold off on triggering them, at least, for a little longer each time? We'll see.

#38 2020-03-15 23:03:14

Gogo
Banned

Families won't split into several towns, they can't even split into two, my reclaimed town was dead today, Gold's were still living in Gold town.

#39 2020-03-15 23:28:45

Morti

Gogo wrote:

Families won't split into several towns, they can't even split into two, my reclaimed town was dead today, Gold's were still living in Gold town.

When one or more of the four, dies down to three, for lack of players, Eve's are forcibly spawned away from us. Many things could be tweaked to deal with this, but they have to work as well when it's 30 people, as it would if it were 300.

#40 2020-11-15 21:29:48

Morti

miskas wrote:

Morti! You are the greater builder Ohol ever meet. You have to start a construction company, have you ever tried to hire someone to help you ?

Hierarchy is nice for co-operation, I use it for rabbit hunting.
One is doing the work and the other brings the raw materials using a horse cart.

Auaa8FB.png

miskas wrote:

Morti! You are the greater builder Ohol ever meet. You have to start a construction company...

That's probably one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about me, Miskas.
Thank you.

#41 2020-11-16 05:08:56

Spoonwood

For the record, this isn't possible anymore on bigserver2 anymore, since there's basically only one well per family.

I wouldn't have said this, but Morti decided to bump this post.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-11-16 05:09:47)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer