One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-02-07 00:33:24

Telafiesta

Re: You can add one item to the game: what is it?

Fish variety, yummy swamp fish and desert fish!

#27 2020-02-07 00:55:22

Spoonwood

An easily crafted baby sling from scratch.

You ever wonder how many players have had their experience of the game colored by not getting fed as a child?

But really, why would make such an experience good for children matter?

jasonrohrer wrote:

I really like the way the Eve game feels right now.  It should be, absolutely, right on the knife edge of failure.  You get farming going right as the last wild food is eaten.  You barely make it.  You fail a lot.  Half your babies die.

Whenever I've tested the Eve game over the past year, it has felt right to me.  But even in more recent testing, I was NOT exploiting the Desert crutch myself.  I guess I was a "stupid Eve" in that way....  So anyway, I'm not sure how it felt, the way the "good" players were playing Eve (look for desert near swamp).

That makes me extremely hesitant to "bring the bottom up..."  because I don't want to ruin that frantic feeling.  That very intentional, frantic feeling, when you are naked in the wilderness.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … d=5304&p=3

How many people would feel that half of their children dying young would be a good thing?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-02-07 00:55:37)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#28 2020-02-07 01:06:13

QuirkySmirkyIan

I've been wanting beef for a while now. You could kill cows for meat maybe a cow specifically for meat. Then there would be sooo much potential for recipes!

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#29 2020-02-07 02:13:48

Legs

The thing about adding food recipes, it increases options to yum chain. Currently the yum mechanic is pretty balanced. A good player in a decent town typically eats 15 times in their life. Every 4 minutes on average they build the chain and doing it is a minigame. Adding too make food items trivializes that. It makes a healthy diet into something natural that anyone can develop with no effort. Additional food items would either have to be extremely few or extremely complex recipes to remain balanced.

Loco Motion

#30 2020-02-07 05:57:59

DestinyCall

I don't see how it really compromises the "balance" of yum if there are more types of food available.   There's already over forty unique food items in the game.   But you only need fifteen, give or take, to max out your yum chain and die of old age.   

Would it really make a difference if there were fifty foods instead of forty six foods available?   Even if there were sixty unique foods, most villages would just make a bunch of mutton pies.   I doubt food diversity in the average village would change that much.   

Jason has added multiple new foods over the past year and we aren't drowning in french fries or carnitas.   He could add a dozen new foods and I doubt it would change the food landscape that much.  And if it did ... I'd be happy.   The food tree is in bad need of a rebalance, so there is more interesting choices to make than just "rabbit pie or mutton pie?"

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-02-07 07:46:05)

#31 2020-02-07 08:38:39

Kinrany

Spoonwood wrote:

*laughs*  So, when the game was released weren't deep wells basically the most complex form of 'iPhones'?  Or did deep wells come later?

I'm serious, iPhones kind of are the pinnacle of modern technology, at least as far as personal items go smile

They're more than messengers. They're general purpose personal mobile computing devices with touch UI, which is also general purpose and the reason iPhones were such a breakthrough.

#32 2020-02-07 18:42:17

DestinyCall

Telafiesta wrote:

But there's no water in the desert ... will we hunt land sharks?

#33 2020-02-07 20:58:43

antking:]#

DestinyCall wrote:
Telafiesta wrote:

But there's no water in the desert ... will we hunt land sharks?

yes I think you mean Sand Sharks

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

Board footer