One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-02-16 04:53:25

testo

Re: Current Curse System

MrGold wrote:

For how long they stay on you should be lowered because 30 days is actually too much don't you think 30 days in donkey town lol.

Make it 60.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#27 2020-02-16 04:54:22

fug

MrGold wrote:
cordy wrote:

says someone from donkey town..................................

When you least expect it you will be there

Be incredibly toxic griefer then eventually get your just desserts. Honestly, people should be just as upset as you that it took this long for the system to actually work in the first place.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#28 2020-02-17 21:56:06

FulmenTheFinn

Gogo wrote:

I was meant to write I've never been in donkey town, but right now I got there even if nobody cursed me in many of my previous lives so wtf ? ? ? Help! big_smile

Having the exact same problem. One day I was playing fine, then took a break, only popping in to see if there was an apocalypse yet, there wasn't one so I SID and exit the game. The next day I'm stuck in donkey town, and that's now continued for days, despite having spent hours there by now and the UI claiming I have only one hour that I need to spend there. I was about to post a more thorough thread about it, but decided to come see here if there were others having similar issues. I have a second account so I've been using that for the time being, but I'll probably post about it tomorrow or later this week, if it doesn't fix itself. I think Jason screwed something up.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#29 2020-02-17 23:32:57

Navi

If you are a donkey, you deserve to be there.

#30 2020-02-17 23:39:54

FulmenTheFinn

Navi wrote:

This is the exact toxic immaturity so prevalent on these forums that put me off from making a topic about what quite possibly is a bug or at the very least flawed design, considering I've never actually griefed in the over 1100h I've played this game, unlike you, Darlene. smile

Might just be better to e-mail Jason about it.

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#31 2020-02-18 00:13:52

Navi

FulmenTheFinn wrote:
Navi wrote:

This is the exact toxic immaturity so prevalent on these forums that put me off from making a topic about what quite possibly is a bug or at the very least flawed design, considering I've never actually griefed in the over 1100h I've played this game, unlike you, Darlene. smile

Or, this exact toxic immaturity is why people have decided to curse you into donkey town. It takes a lot of curses to get there. I dont spawn there. Maybe the issue isnt everyone else. Maybe it's you.

#32 2020-02-18 00:30:14

FulmenTheFinn

Navi wrote:
FulmenTheFinn wrote:
Navi wrote:

Or, this exact toxic immaturity is why people have decided to curse you into donkey town. It takes a lot of curses to get there. I dont spawn there. Maybe the issue isnt everyone else. Maybe it's you.

Right. Which part of "played normally, did not get cursed, next day spawned in donkey town seemingly for 1h but unable to get out hours later" did you not understand?

#33 2020-02-18 02:13:46

mensrea

cordy wrote:

You can now get cursed within 200 tiles. Maybe you were stealth-cursed.

Q: How many people have you killed within the last 30 days?

Q: Are you generally unpleasant in-game?

People curse when you tell them they're screwing up. People can't seem to take criticism and I think it's a stupid person problem. Basically in the culture I know, the leftist progressive movement has been training people to become instantly offended 'and that's not ok'. Any view contrary to your own is wrong and cannot be tolerated. The problem is leftist views appeal to your quick instinct or emotions, rather than deliberate contemplation and thought.  A lazy mind is swayed more easily by the left. A conversation with a leftist is like this: "The amendment says purple trees are allowed." "Yea but who really needs purple trees anyway and their leaves are slippery so we should eliminate the right to have purple trees them for public safety."

At worst my behavior is antagonistic but people are using the curse when they're insulted. People with more playtime are more likely to become affected by the curse system.  Seems like my Chinaman social score is too low and I'm being ostracized to the sub-culture town.

Yesterday, there were at least five people alive in donkeytown. We used to have children there, but not anymore. I may to quit playing over this. I had one good Eve-ish start today and then I'm in donkeytown.

#34 2020-02-18 02:49:00

sigmen4020

mensrea wrote:
cordy wrote:

People curse when you tell them they're screwing up. People can't seem to take criticism and I think it's a stupid person problem. Basically in the culture I know, the leftist progressive movement has been training people to become instantly offended 'and that's not ok'. Any view contrary to your own is wrong and cannot be tolerated. The problem is leftist views appeal to your quick instinct or emotions, rather than deliberate contemplation and thought.  A lazy mind is swayed more easily by the left. A conversation with a leftist is like this: "The amendment says purple trees are allowed." "Yea but who really needs purple trees anyway and their leaves are slippery so we should eliminate the right to have purple trees them for public safety."

At worst my behavior is antagonistic but people are using the curse when they're insulted. People with more playtime are more likely to become affected by the curse system.  Seems like my Chinaman social score is too low and I'm being ostracized to the sub-culture town.

Yesterday, there were at least five people alive in donkeytown. We used to have children there, but not anymore. I may to quit playing over this. I had one good Eve-ish start today and then I'm in donkeytown.

From the way you've written this I can plainly see that you're probably not especially kind when giving "criticism". Especially since you use the word antagonistic to describe your own behaviour. If a lot of people don't want to play with you maybe it is not a "they problem", but a "you problem". If you wanna give people criticism in-game try to give it without hostility and maybe they might actually take it to heart rather than curse you. I certainly won't take advice from some rando who came and randomly shouted at me for something I did wrong. Also why is it specifically the left that can't take criticism in your eyes? There's plenty of people on the right that can't take criticism either, it's not a unique left trait.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-02-18 03:28:00)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#35 2020-02-18 02:54:17

Melea

Weird random politics rant there. Personally, I've never found it enjoyable to be around someone who starts randomly ranting about "leftist-this, rightist-that, progressives/conservatives blah blah blah". Especially when they're lumping millions of people into a single mindset, aka "A conversation with a leftist is like this..." Note: I'm not even a "leftist progressive", not that it matters.

Curses are a "I REALLY don't want to play with you for the next month" button. It's not surprising you're getting some curses "just" for being antagonistic or going around telling people they're playing the game wrong. OHOL is a game. It's supposed to be enjoyable. Apparently some people find your characters so annoying that they'll spend a precious curse token just so you won't be born near them.

If so many online people don't want you around, enough that you can't find an unprotected mother to be born to....well...it sounds like maybe you're better suited to a private friends-only server instead if you don't want the DT experience?

#36 2020-02-18 02:59:37

Legs

Last week I goofed around roleplaying in a bell town. Didn't hurt anyone, wreck anything, steal, insult, nothing really. I wore a devil mask and an all red outfit and goofed off about how so very evil of me to don my evil cloak and fooooolish mortals these evils berries shall convert your children to my ways etc etc. I even sat by the fire and YUMMED to use less food. At least until the posses started trying to murder me. I got 5-6 curses that life, for nothing. It was a really good case in point. People are stupid and democracy is wrong. If I'd actually been griefing I would have sneaked around hiding things when nobody was looking, changing outfits etc. I've done it on a few bitter lives after some bullshit and it's laughably easy to get away with griefing. I sat down and killed a town once and nobody cursed me because I was the least bit sneaky with some hearsay. You know what I always got cursed for? Killing a proper no holds barred griefer. Telling someone in brown town that their dream of building a car is hopeless. I'll be the only black guy in a town with newcomen@torn seal taming horses my whole life and three people curse me because hey!! That nigger is stealing horses!!! That's the reality in this game.

In practice people don't know shit about curses and they just apply it as a catchall for anyone they dislike at any moment. They see someone else curse, learn that curses are a thing, and they curse. My hardworking uncle in this eve camp didn't gift me his backpack when I was a baby? You'd better believe that's a curse. I stabbed a guy over a stolen ball of thread then someone healed the thief? Oh yeah that's a curse. Smith isn't willing to make a blade for me when I'm loitering at five years old? He'd better be ready for a curse, the griefer. That's the logic this community works with when it comes to curses. Especially now with racially enforced multiculti and only 2-3 actual towns in the entire world, a couple of braindead noobs cursing can wipe you off the map. When there are 2 places to spawn it's very easy to get forced into donkey town accidentally. I'll probably be there for a month- for literally no reason.

Hey look curses only benefit griefers who could have known

Last edited by Legs (2020-02-18 03:07:56)

Loco Motion

#37 2020-02-18 03:09:14

mensrea

Fair enough, both sides can be hard to talk to. I just write from the perspective I'm aware of. Communication using words is always unclear and with even less bandwith in-game it's more difficult to be clear in meaning. Given that, rest assured I'm not sparing any words to insult the individual, just the idea.

There are those who immediately take offense to correction. That's my complaint.

When the oven isn't built yet, the forge is next to the berry bushes, and people are building adobe walls, I get cursed for complaining. I go to donkeytown, I come here and vent. I wouldn't have complained if starvation wasn't at risk.

I'm working at improving myself. Anyone paying attention, I'm learning. Sometimes I care too much; remember to care a little less, especially about the things you cannot change. Your life will be easier that way.

#38 2020-02-18 03:11:30

DestinyCall

To be fair, they probably judged you as a troublemaker and didn't feel the need to wait for you to start sacrificing babies to the dark gods before taking action.    Life is short and if someone is intentionally acting really sketchy in the middle of town, they are pretty much asking to get cursed. 

Personally, I don't like to kill or curse, so I will generally wait until things get ugly before I take action.   From what I've seen, about half of the crazy talkers eventually become crazy killers and need to be put down.  The other half talk about the lizard king or encourage the babies to worship satan but never actual do anything noticeably harmful to the town.   Some people don't feel the need to wait to see if the town loon is going to snap.

#39 2020-02-18 03:31:54

Legs

Fun fact: mens rea is latin for guilty mind and refers to evil intent in committing crimes.

It's the vital difference between intentional and accidental or perceived wrongs.

Disregarding that is really ironic here when we're talking about relative morality and justice.

Loco Motion

#40 2020-02-18 04:33:05

mensrea

cordy wrote:

TL;DR You deserve to be in Donkey Town.

On what basis? That I enjoyed this game previously? That I described gameplay I found interesting in multiple forum posts? Are we on topic here?

You may have stressed some rules of forum etiquette. I don't have the time or interest to see which posts you pulled to figure out what a common theme among them is... Oh, looks like murder, nosaj stories, etc. It's in the game.

#41 2020-02-18 05:58:58

FulmenTheFinn

cordy wrote:

Q: Are you a SID-er?

Q: Are you being racist in-game?

Q: Do you grief by hiding things behind trees?

Q: Do you name babies using names that people generally consider bad?

Q: Baby napper?

Q: Do you continuously feed babies pies?

-A handful of griefers. This often nets me curses, since as an experienced player I tend to catch griefers before they slaughter half the town, and then a portion of the new players can't understand why I killed a player who just tried to randomly stab someone, or steal 15 buckets out of town.

-Usually I SID if born as a boy. Since the last time I logged on was only to check if there'd been an apoc/hard reset, I think the mother may have cursed me with "curse my baby" after SID'ing and exiting the game. But I'm unsure, since the command does not seem to target the latest dead baby if you have even one living child. Maybe I was her only child.

-No to the rest.

Last week I goofed around roleplaying in a bell town. Didn't hurt anyone, wreck anything, steal, insult, nothing really. I wore a devil mask and an all red outfit and goofed off about how so very evil of me to don my evil cloak and fooooolish mortals these evils berries shall convert your children to my ways etc etc. I even sat by the fire and YUMMED to use less food. At least until the posses started trying to murder me. I got 5-6 curses that life, for nothing. It was a really good case in point. People are stupid and democracy is wrong. If I'd actually been griefing I would have sneaked around hiding things when nobody was looking, changing outfits etc. I've done it on a few bitter lives after some bullshit and it's laughably easy to get away with griefing. I sat down and killed a town once and nobody cursed me because I was the least bit sneaky with some hearsay. You know what I always got cursed for? Killing a proper no holds barred griefer. Telling someone in brown town that their dream of building a car is hopeless. I'll be the only black guy in a town with newcomen@torn seal taming horses my whole life and three people curse me because hey!! That nigger is stealing horses!!! That's the reality in this game.

Yep, people are liable to curse you over just about any social interaction. A griefer might curse you for fun, or if you catch them in the act and try doing something about it. Or they might just tell others how you're a naughty griefer and get a bunch of people to curse you. That's happened to me a lot in my over 1.1k hours.

Last week my daughter got cursed by 3-5 people literally only for saying she thinks there should be an apocalypse. People then went around claiming she's a griefer. She was a normal, averagely decent player.

It does feel silly that anyone, regardless of experience, is given such powers that can be so easily misused or abused. The current curse system actively discourages people from interacting with oneanother and pre-emptively dealing with griefers. The safest course of action is to simply lay low, not speak to anyone unless an absolute must, and let griefers kill half the town or steal half the tools before enough people band against them. Not a very fun way to play.

Board footer