One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2020-04-04 21:10:12

Caiaphus Tarwater

Re: Do most of new players give up because they can’t do anything?

I've been playing this game for about three hours (not through Steam), and I have experienced the frustration at not being helpful to which OP refers.  That was not a lot of fun.

At first I sped through the tutorial, accomplishing only the minimum, and I didn't discover the extended areas of the tutorial that allow one to practice some basic skills.

I can see that Onetech will be a breakthrough in helpfulness, and I have installed the latest mod with zoom.

So reading this thread was salvation for me.

The passionate discussion of pies is no doubt critical but probably belongs elsewhere.

#52 2020-04-04 21:54:30

Glassius

You see it the wrong way. Jason gave in past a lot of his thoughts how to make the game a unique, one time experience to make this one particular life matter. He even considered charging a microtransaction for each spawn.

All of that is to discourage new players from the game! When veterans point all of it out, he claims he has made a most complicated solo game and still earns a lot of money thanks to it. So selling a game to people who will play it once and quit seems as a mission complited. You should rather talk how to further discourage new players from playing!

Remember veterans, too. They also need to be discouraged. It's obvious, language, tool slot, skin tone specialization and tricky toddler feeding is not enough. What can you propose new?

For me it was magic with property fences. I stopped playing there.

Last edited by Glassius (2020-04-04 21:56:33)

#53 2020-04-04 22:09:52

Legs

The homeland update sort of nerfed new players learning too in a way.

Best way to learn is doing it yourself and that's impossible now. You can go eat wild food but that's pointless without kids. They're what make pressure to settle and plant. Without that it's pointless.

Loco Motion

Board footer