One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2020-01-01 13:51:32

Spoonwood

Re: Voluntary OHOL Antagonists; The Future of Griefing that OHOL needs

Mekkie wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Nope, I don't agree.  There is no 'ideal' play state, and the game isn't balanced around any sort of family size, nor should be.

The ideal play state is below 15 people, when racial restrictions aren't activated.. :3

I definitely agree with that.  I find nothing interesting in principle with walking into a jungle tile and dropping items, because I would be a ginger.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#52 2020-01-01 14:08:23

Mekkie

jasonrohrer wrote:

Because such things will create interesting and varied stories.  There are already lots of interesting life stories coming out of the game, and I'm extremely proud of that fact, and I love those stories.  But I want MORE.  I want to turn that crazy/interesting story knob until it twists all the way off.  I want no two lives to ever be the same.  Not even a little bit the same.  Not even similar.

*Spends every single life running around looking for brown people before the well inevitably dries up...*

#53 2020-01-02 01:04:58

Punkypal

petaldancing wrote:

i'm still having trouble getting over the fact that someone in this thread legitimately thinks no one plays vanilla minecraft.............. and that by not having griefers, this game would somehow become vanilla minecraft??? LMAOOO

OK, then direct me to the vanilla Minecraft server that has an active player base? Many Minecraft servers that have multiple different types of play, from economy to skyblock or PvP also run a vanilla server. When you pop in there it's empty. Occasionally someone jumps in to muck around a little, but nobody is doing anything substantial there. When someone is there it's because they want to be alone 99% of the time, just like people on OHOL that don't play on the main server.

The Vanilla server option on the most busy and most popular servers has usually 10 players max at peak times, and every server that has multiple play options, vanilla is always one of their dead servers. And that's how they manage to function in the face of the inherent anarchy. You kids didn't ever have to deal with this, but once long, long ago there were actually mostly only vanilla servers, and they would have dozens and dozens of players at anytime. Banning people was the only way the had to deal with griefers, but griefers didn't care because there were 100's of servers out there. If you got banned off one, you just went to the next one. Also, it was easy enough to get around blacklists. On such servers with high population things went down exactly as I described. If someone could find your "base" they wrecked it. If they found you they usually tried to kill you and loot your stuff. And as soon as modded servers because available and known, players flocked to those and vanilla servers have been dead ever since.

I honestly find it hard to believe you really play on a pure vanilla server anyway. It might be mostly vanilla with only minimal anti griefing mods, or a whitelist. That's still "semi-vanilla" and not the same thing as pure, no rules, anything is allowed vanilla. UNLESS you are there to loot and steal and kill other players and you like the chaos because you help create it. In that case you're probably doing the same thing here in OHOL and you're the reason vanilla Minecraft servers are unpopular.

Petaldancing, in regards to no griefers being like Minecraft. I said the opposite, that allowing unchecked griefing WOULD make the game MORE like vanilla Minecraft, not less like vanilla Minecraft. I skimmed the other posts and I didn't see anyone saying no griefers would = Minecraft. Where you talking about someone else's comment that I overlooked?

UPDATE: Oh, perhaps were you talking about Gomez's post before me? I assume when he said "OHOL becomes Minecraft without griefers" He is talking about modded servers, because that's what almost all servers are and where more than 99% of players actually play. He never said "vanilla minecraft".

Last edited by Punkypal (2020-01-02 01:43:25)

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#54 2020-01-02 18:24:23

Wuatduhf

Punkypal wrote:

OK, then direct me to the vanilla Minecraft server that has an active player base? Many Minecraft servers that have multiple different types of play, from economy to skyblock or PvP also run a vanilla server. When you pop in there it's empty. Occasionally someone jumps in to muck around a little, but nobody is doing anything substantial there. When someone is there it's because they want to be alone 99% of the time, just like people on OHOL that don't play on the main server.

CivCraft 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0.

It's shutdown now after running for about 4-5 years, and was purely vanilla w/ Plugins. "Civilization Craft" was designed for building civilizations and carrying out whatever politics you wanted with other players.

Its plugins enabled this by doing the following:

• Citadel - enables player groups and allows adding 'reinforcements' to blocks; you can spend resources on blocks to make them require multiple breaks before they would "actually" break. The most expensive reinforcement, diamond, would force you to break a block 1,500 times before it would actually break.
    If you weren't in the player group that the object (chest/door/etc) was reinforced to, you couldn't open/interact with it.

• PrisonPearl - killing a player while keeping an Ender Pearl in your hotbar would trap them in The End. The pearl would take their name and would keep them trapped there for a cost of 8 Coal per day

• RealisticBiomes - All crops and trees are biome-restricted. Crops/trees could be in either 1) their ideal biome for 100% growth speed, 2) growable biomes at reduced speed, or 3) inhospitable biome to that crop/tree.

• Map generation changes - all metals reduced to 1% of Vanilla spawn rate.

Massive biomes meant long-distance travel to get other types of crops, which further cemented the point of RealisticBiomes.

• Experience Orb changes - You no longer earned orbs by doing activities

• Ore Obfuscation - Ores are replaced with Stone unless you are within X blocks from them.

• Factories - Chest + Crafting bench + Furnace arrangement could absorb a massive amount of resources to make one of several types of 'Factories'. They followed the industrialization idea of "massive upfront cost for bulk-goods recipes more efficient than vanilla". The factories can't be moved once built; no refunds either.
    In addition, factories were the only way to produce Experience Orbs, which required burning through thousands of crops to get a couple dozen bottles of Enchanting.

• Jukebox Alerts - Noteblocks and Jukeboxes could be turned into minor and major "Snitch" blocks. They were created by reinforcing them using Citadel.
    The snitch boxes could be named for easier identification.
    1) Noteblocks simply reported when someone outside of the player group entered its 15x15 area.
    2) Jukeboxes reported entry AND kept a log of all interactions within their 15x15 area - opening doors, breaking blocks, placing blocks, breaking chests, opening chests, etc.

• Enchanting blocks - Emerald blocks were removed from the game. In exchange, EXP bottles could be turned into Emeralds at a 9:1 ratio. An Emerald block was 81 EXP bottles.

• No Nether, No End - The Nether and The End were disabled. The 15,000-radius map had to be traversed on foot. No exceptions*.

The servers basically became city-states with hundred of players residing in various "nations". On average there were around 80-150 people online depending on the hour and if a conflict was ongoing.

An economy around diamonds and EXP formed. 1 Emerald was worth 3-5 diamonds, and 1 Emerald block was worth 3-5 Diamond blocks. From that, an economy basically worked on everything else.

At its peak there were something like 25 different nations, all with their own spheres operating with their own philosophies and politics and interactions with the other nation-states.

r2LzRV.png

ntKCk3J.jpg

2B2T - 2 Builders 2 Tools

An even more anarchy version of CivCraft. It has few plugins because it's mainly geared towards cheat-prevention. The world itself is relatively anarchy, and most groups operate on secrecy of hiding where their "homes" are, which was what made Citadel on CivCraft so distinct.

I know of this one a lot less, but you can probably get the gist if you can get CivCraft.

Hundreds of people still play it to this day, to the point that there's a short-long queue timer (hours) to get in depending on the time you try to login. There's also a much shorter queue (hour-ish?) if you're a paid member to 2B2T.

Last edited by Wuatduhf (2020-01-02 18:40:01)

Board footer