One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-12-22 18:56:25

Cantface

Re: How do you feel with the game nowdays

DestinyCall wrote:

I don't find any of the hard limits enjoyable.   The tool slots are more tolerable, because they are easier to avoid.   I don't think they add anything positive.   Most people who "like" tool slots have more tool slots than they need - in another words, they are not being restricted by them.    There's nothing fun or interesting about running out of slots and being forced to give up on doing what you want or need to do because of an arbitrary limitation.

I don't enjoy any of them either, I loved playing the game before they were plopped in. I complained about tool slots in another thread as I have a habit of forgetting about the limit and using them all up. Even with a higher amount I find I still run out. I'm just saying If I'd have to choose one I'd agree about removing the biome/race specialties update. I'd love to get rid of both, but I'm guessing they took some work to implement so...whatever is easier lol.

Last edited by Cantface (2019-12-22 18:56:52)

Breasticles

#27 2019-12-22 19:29:15

arkajalka

Cantface wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

I don't find any of the hard limits enjoyable.   The tool slots are more tolerable, because they are easier to avoid.   I don't think they add anything positive.   Most people who "like" tool slots have more tool slots than they need - in another words, they are not being restricted by them.    There's nothing fun or interesting about running out of slots and being forced to give up on doing what you want or need to do because of an arbitrary limitation.

I don't enjoy any of them either, I loved playing the game before they were plopped in. I complained about tool slots in another thread as I have a habit of forgetting about the limit and using them all up. Even with a higher amount I find I still run out. I'm just saying If I'd have to choose one I'd agree about removing the biome/race specialties update. I'd love to get rid of both, but I'm guessing they took some work to implement so...whatever is easier lol.

I find myself abusing most of the tool i decide to pick up and use a slot on to. That brings a new tune to every life atleast for me. Im not even trying to do everything in town, just doing super big on the few things i decide to use my slots on to and make the most of it.

Really like it.

Can be a bit of a burden tho for people in the oil business trying to keep the towns watered and running.

Just chill and embrace it, you dont need to do everything alone.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#28 2019-12-22 19:52:22

Grim_Arbiter

This is the post that I wrote right after the rift.

"I support this new map change and have been wanting it for awhile now. YOU HAVE ONE SHOT to make the best of your life and the actions you take have more impact on the world. You now will have always been, and it will have ripple effects on everything. Every single thing now matters and there are not millions and millions of the same thing to be exploited at will everytime. Every dug rock, every iron bar, they all have more worth and meaning. I can even accept the well idea now if we actually can all utilize it together."

I still stand by it.

The rift is gone, but the above is still true because of people having to group together in towns, and having everything nearby those towns run dry.

I'm starting to see the bigger picture with it all, and agree with jason about the problem with ONE player being able to carry a village. We had too much power and not enough communication pre rift. While there are still things to be worked out, I think it's an improvement.

However I agree with fug's post here about the eve thing, and think that there should be a way to transfer biome abilities between families(maybe some kind of guidebook). So that the families STILL NEED to be found to progress tech, but not all need to survive at the same place for tech to happen. If that were the case, those "useless" races would have a chance to gain abilities to make their own towns, and would give more value to individual families. Every family wouldnt need to be in the same spot to progress tech, and one family could master the biomes, and with collective work and luck, become powerful. We're more likely to trade one item that can empower our family(guidebook?) rather than a ton of items themselves, I think.

"Hey trade me the desert guide"

Sure.. when yall trade us the jungle guide.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#29 2019-12-22 19:53:23

Gogo
Banned

Well, I feel bored and I will give up this game in new year, maybe come back later. I don't have problem with tool slots, I was 2nd or 3rd on leaderboard, have like 19 slot tools.

I don't mind tool update. I even don't mind race update. But the wells dry out too fast in my opinion. There is always (or it's coming) water crisis in town/village, I don't like this feeling.

#30 2019-12-22 21:44:27

Kinrany

Tool slots seem like a halfway solution. Usually you have enough tool slots for doing everything solo. So it's a feature that is sometimes frustrating, but not crippling enough that you have to actually change the way you play the game.

Imagine if everyone had one tool slot. And they could only use it to learn a tool before 30.

Tool slots are also tied to the gene score. If you're experienced enough that you actually use up your basic tool slots, then you have to care about tool slots.
But I suspect that few people are actually at this level. Personally I just live to 60 and have enough tool slots to do everything I want. In the rare cases that I don't, I just ask the closest person to do something for me. They usually agree because they also have enough slots.

Last edited by Kinrany (2019-12-22 21:45:07)

#31 2019-12-23 00:52:04

DestinyCall

Kinrany wrote:

Imagine if everyone had one tool slot. And they could only use it to learn a tool before 30.

I'm imagining it ... and then I'm imagining laughing really hard and uninstalling the game.

#32 2019-12-23 06:43:17

Mekkie

So just logged onto official to play a life... was born to a travelling mother and daughter duo.  She wanted to abandon me, but in the end i lived and followed... we made it to a town on the edge of a snow biome.  There was lots of clothes on the ground that we couldnt loot, because apparently only gingers are capable of picking things up in snow.  The town was abandoned, so i revived the berry farm, made a fire for the babies, and cooked some pies to keep us alive.  I ran out of tool slots almost instantly.  I couldnt shear the sheep, because i made compost and a fire and some pies to keep my family alive.  I couldnt loot clothing on the tile next to me because it was in the snow.

It was stupid.  Very stupid.  I quit official because of griefers, but this time around... i felt like the game itself was griefing me.

#33 2019-12-23 10:40:08

JonySky
Website

I have long since quit the game ... The game has become very repetitive and boring for me, maybe in the future I will play it again, but now I don't see the game making sense.
The cycle of cities is ALWAYS the same ... (water runs out, end of story)
Jobs in cities are also repetitions one after another
The limitation of skills has increased this feeling of repeating tasks
I am a player of Batlefield, age of empires, RUST, DayZ, League of legends for many years and I have never had the feeling of repeating the same thing in every game.

Many updates have been made this year, and I appreciate Jason's work, but the game is far from being "addictive" because sooner or later you get bored of always doing the same, or living the same stories.

The game engine is very limited and that also limits problem solving and adding new content.
For example the implementation of the weather, natural disasters, diseases, shared vehicles ... etc.

The network code for months is demonstrating varied problems and has never been definitively solved
This generates "patches and provisional solutions" similar to the current PVP system.

Most updates that he had this year are based on writing options (/ love .. curse xx ... own this ... or the recent hierarchy ...) writing in this game should be used only to communicate and not to perform varied tasks (every time we write a command we lose 6 months of life)
Some time ago I proposed a menu of circular options as in RUST ... remember that the games are international and for everyone (we do not oblige anyone to have to learn a thousand commands to play OHOL)

All games have errors, bugs, problems in the netcode, implementations of updates that are deficient or not properly tested, limitations in the game engine ... but the difference with OHOL is that it is not being solved as it should.

Example:
New update - We will implement new gestures: force the player to write commands ...
Result: it works ...
New update - War / peace: will force the player to write
New update - Maps: will force the player to write again
New update - will implement hierarchies and force the player to write the command again

With this we have saved the implementation of a circle of options and will remain so until we have to write so many commands to play that the community begins to complain

With the PVP, the shared vehicles and with a multitude of mechanics something similar happens ... not improve or a temporary patch will be created to solve the problem

Another great example is the weeks of balance in the game to force us to play in a rift ... until the numbers of OHOL players did not go down to historical lows, it was not decided to change strategy ... so no ... that not well.

Although 1000 more objects are added, they will feel bad if not done with some consistency ... (cooking in a fireplace and being able to drive a plane is absurd)

Today we still don't know where OHOL is heading ... I only see a lot of updates without a clear objective.
Killer robots ?, nuclear bombs ?, industrialization ?, where are we going?

Last edited by JonySky (2019-12-23 12:49:53)

#34 2019-12-23 17:31:34

happynova

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

However I agree with fug's post here about the eve thing, and think that there should be a way to transfer biome abilities between families(maybe some kind of guidebook). So that the families STILL NEED to be found to progress tech, but not all need to survive at the same place for tech to happen.

That is a damn good idea.

#35 2019-12-23 17:57:53

Toxolotl

happynova wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:

However I agree with fug's post here about the eve thing, and think that there should be a way to transfer biome abilities between families(maybe some kind of guidebook). So that the families STILL NEED to be found to progress tech, but not all need to survive at the same place for tech to happen.

That is a damn good idea.

Yea something like this needs to be done.

Imo tool slots need to either be static or not exist. The only way they are bearable from what i can tell is if you have a ton of them which basically defeats their purpose. Playing with 6 is a drag and i cant imagine most people enjoy grinding for more. Its a huge distraction and kinda forces everyone down the same path. Not everyone is born to good parents and overcoming that can be inspiring. I dont think diversity like that should be restricted.

Vets are still doing everything in the village. They are just grabbing who ever they can to do the next step in the process. Vets dedicated enough grind till they have a ton of slots and just do it themselves.

What purpose do tool slots serve and do they still preform that purpose when someone has 19? Are they balanced at 6? Do they hurt new players in the learning process?

Tool slot and biome restriction balancing needs to be seriously addressed. Its been weeks and weeks with few adjustments and ive seen very few people satisfied with the system. Except for those who say "its not so bad, i have 15 tool slots".

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-12-23 17:59:44)

#36 2019-12-24 14:26:38

The_Anabaptist

Combat is a hot mess.  To many convoluted systems and edge rules that only benefit the griefer.  Posse mechanics don't help at all.  Biome locks just allows griefers to hide.  The delay in the initial kill only works to their favor.  Don't even know if peace/war helps any, as I never see war used anymore.

The_Anabaptist

#37 2019-12-24 17:25:14

Stoop Kid

This game fucking sucks to play now. Any of the nice changes like walls finally having shelves, slot boxes, and rubber horsecarts are overshadowed by terrible changes like tool slots and race restrictions. It's a shame because some of the new tech was actually pretty fun to craft like glassware and wine, but unless you're black you basically can't make glass

Board footer