One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-12-13 21:28:49

DestinyCall

Re: Possible Update? Role for Dogs

To make it a fair fight, the orcas would need to be equipped with robotic exoskeletons and grenades, of course.

Just don't give them rocket launchers or they will be unstoppable.

#27 2019-12-13 21:42:59

MCzerotacos

DestinyCall wrote:

To make it a fair fight, the orcas would need to be equipped with robotic exoskeletons and grenades, of course.

Just don't give them rocket launchers or they will be unstoppable.

Agreed on that.

#28 2019-12-13 22:47:22

DestinyCall

To bring the discussion back around to the original topic, humans might not be at the top of the food chain, but wolves ARE apex predators.   And the domestication of wolves by primitive man has been suggested as one of the reasons why homo sapiens were able to outcompete neanderthals in prehistoric times.   

With the help of dogs, human hunters could track and surround larger prey more easily and with less risk of injury, including mega fauna, like mammoths.   Working with spear-wielding humans also benefited the dogs, who gained the coordination, strategy, and tool-using abilities of men along with a steady food source.   Together, they could successfully hunt, survive, and reproduce better than either species could alone.

It would be nice to see some of that cooperative advantage reproduced in OHOL, so dogs could be our friends, our allies, and our protectors, instead of a silly nuisance at best and a deadly time-bomb at worst.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-12-13 22:56:36)

#29 2019-12-13 23:10:36

jcwilk

Plus pets are just rad in mmos. I have fond memories of running around with a small troop of timbre wolves in Ultima Online. They would by default follow you after you successfully tamed them and you could make them stay, follow you, follow others, attack a target, might have even been able to get them to guard, can't remember... Was great fun though. Had to keep feeding them now and then otherwise they'd go wild again.

Sadly Jason never played uo, lots to learn from that game... They released it with a fully dynamic ecosystem but had to quickly nerf how dynamic it was because players would just kill everything always so the ecosystem would get decimated and bald over and over otherwise xD would be cool if there was a more dynamic ecosystem in ohol though, there's not the same issue of having predefined heavy traffic areas so worst case things would die out around a big town but that kind of tension is desirable anyways.

#30 2019-12-13 23:32:48

Toxolotl

Dogs have been used for a lot of stuff. Lewis and Clark had a few newfoundlands that saved their lives on numerous occasions. I remember reading somewhere that explorers would often have dogs with them because their body temperature is higher than that of a human so they were good for keeping warm. Also if food became too scarce they could be eaten.

I do think it would be cool to have dogs as a kind of accessory even if they had no function. With a command like "you are my doge" and it sticks by your side for your entire life.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-12-13 23:33:06)

#31 2019-12-14 00:15:24

FulmenTheFinn

The OP's idea is solid.

Having a shepherd dog in or around the pen could act as a positive modifier to the sheep, perhaps even doubling their production of wool, shit and offspring. Obviously with such a powerful modifier the effect would not stack if multiple dogs were added.

A guard dog could shield the town, or a portion of it, by blocking X amount of tiles around it from hostile animals, such as bears and boars.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#32 2019-12-14 02:02:21

DarkDrak

+1

Honestly, literally any use could do. It's so sad to see them in the game and not being able to do anything with them. And unlike Jack o' lanterns, christmas trees, snowmen and masks, here we have something that potentially could have so many uses.

Really, just tying a dog to a propriety gate and commandind it to bite everyone who tries to pass without having access would do.

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#33 2019-12-14 02:46:12

Punkypal

Spoonwood wrote:

I think that dogs mostly consist of pets these days.  I could be wrong about that, but I think they are mostly useless, no matter how lovably useless, these days.

Do you think there is no such thing as trained working dogs currently?

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#34 2019-12-14 02:55:49

Spoonwood

MCzerotacos wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Reduction and absurdum is a valid form of argument.

Right well I will say this last thing. The difference between you and I then is that you were making an argument using absurdum. When trying to persuade someone while using a fallacy, that is not a smart idea for it can make your reasons sound ridiculous.

I wish you were joking, but it sounds like you aren't.  You know how to write 'fallacy' and perhaps that some will take you seriously by using that word.  However, you have no clue about what a fallacy is or are lying.  Maybe you would do better to try talking to a logician before acting like you know something about logic.  I need even not refer to a source like this: https://philosophy.stackexchange.com/qu … ical-proof , because a quick duck-duck go search reveals abundant sources talking about reductio ad absurdum as a valid form of argument.  There also exist abundant formal logic and informal logic textbooks indicating it as a valid form of argument.  Mathematical intuitionists exist, but at the very least, I suspect that they would be cautious about crying 'fallacy' anytime reductio ad absurdum gets used.

MCzerotacos wrote:

I simply was trying to persuade you so that maybe just maybe giving dogs the ability to protect us and/or themselves would be beneficial to everyone.

Such would not be beneficial to those who enjoy the sense of danger that dangerous creatures in OHOL can provide or those who enjoy overcoming dangerous creatures such as wolves or boars by killing them.  Gogo is one player on record saying that he misses a sense of danger... see here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8371  A willingness to experience a sense of danger also could have benefits back when jungles were very close to mid-temperature level, before hungry work existed, and when desert next to a neutral biome resulted in good temperature spots.  I have a feeling that some players enjoy hunting wild animals in OHOL for sport also.  Or at least could be consistent with masses of bear skins sometimes seen. 

MCzerotacos wrote:

Remember we are supposed to be thinking about how we can benefit all players not just ourselves.

It's not always possible to come up with ideas that benefit all players.  Some ideas that benefit some players may make the game worse for others.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#35 2019-12-14 02:57:41

Spoonwood

Punkypal wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

I think that dogs mostly consist of pets these days.  I could be wrong about that, but I think they are mostly useless, no matter how lovably useless, these days.

Do you think there is no such thing as trained working dogs currently?

I am aware that dogs for the blind exist.  I didn't have that particularly in mind when I wrote the above, but I did write 'mostly'.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#36 2019-12-14 03:28:58

DestinyCall

Working dogs also include dogs trained for scent-work (drug/bomb detecting dogs), police-work, search and rescue, service dogs for people with hearing or mobility impairment, seizures,  mental illness, and diabetes, as well as dogs who are used by professional hunters and ranchers to assist their work.   

In parts of Africa, livestock guardian dogs are used to deter endangered predators, like cheetahs and lions, from attacking livestock.   The dogs are able to reduce livestock losses WITHOUT harming the big cats.   This allows low income farmers to survive and coexist with native wildlife and reduces "retaliation killing" of local predator populations.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-12-14 03:29:49)

#37 2019-12-15 03:48:29

Sopbucket

jcwilk wrote:

Or be able to turn them into clothing.

Fluffy disturbing the smith?...

Why'd you do it Fluffy?
On the porch...

#38 2019-12-15 06:52:34

jcwilk

Sopbucket wrote:
jcwilk wrote:

Or be able to turn them into clothing.

Fluffy disturbing the smith?...

Why'd you do it Fluffy?
On the porch...

Fetch papa's knife, Fluffy... Good dog, time to sleep

#39 2019-12-15 23:26:41

MistressZues

Basically the whole community is in agreement.... Jason we need working dogs! lol BTW did you know Pit bulls were ORIGINALLY bred to hunt Pest rodents : mice an rats an Muskrats an moles that would destroy crops

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#40 2019-12-17 08:10:06

w0wma

i haven't read any of the other posts, simply because of how long they have been. buuuuut anyway, jason should make alsatians and pitbulls guard dogs. (pitbulls were apparently cheap guard dogs back in the day.) chihuahuas could alert someone that someone is near their property, because they're notorious for being yappy little bastards. (if you own a property and have a chihuahua in it.) chihuahuas and daschunds would make good rabbit hunting dogs. basically dogs need assigned uses beyond being aesthetic. + some dogs would make good hunting dogs.

#41 2019-12-17 15:59:52

TitaniaDioxide

Rope + Dog + Gate - Guard dog.  Pitt Bulls, Airedales, Collies,and German Shepherds bite anyone who doesn't own the gate who come within 2 tiles of it.  Other dogs bark when anyone who doesn't own the gate comes within one screen of it.  (Alternatively, keep track of people the dog has met or been introduced to (say, someone who "knows" the dog and someone who doesn't feed it mutton or a rabbit in short succession, like an elder removal fence) and bark at/bite anyone who isn't that person or a direct descendant of them.

Rope + Dog + Fence - Animal Guard Dog.  Collie and Schnauzer prevents sheep or cows from eating the crops within one screen of the fence.  Other dog prevents within 5 tiles.

Rope + Dog + Rabbit Hole - Rabbit hunting dog.  Collies and Beagles can collect a rabbit from any hole without making the hole abandoned. Other dogs collect a rabbit from any hole, and deplete Rabbit holes but not  Family Rabbit Holes.  Similar idea for geese and turkeys (possibly certain dogs can kill/collect geese, but the hole will get a new goose later?)

Rope + Any Dog - Guardian Dog.  During your travels, if you would otherwise get hurt by a boar/bear/wolf/snake/mosquitos, your dog dies instead.  Chihuahuas, Poodles, Pit bulls and Dachsunds have a chance of killing the animal in the process.

Board footer