One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-11-24 00:50:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Coming soon: way stones

The collective is comprised of individuals, of course.

This is the primary tension of civilization.

There is no guarantee that dumping all resources in a communal pile and saying, "go for it, everyone" is what's best for the collective.  In fact, historical examples tend to run contrary to that notion, like the body count of 30 million laid at the feet of the Great Leap Forward.

Private property, which is present in some form in every modern human society that I'm aware of (even the collective ones) may be the "default" because it works so well.  The efficiency and motivational gains may make up for whatever inherent injustices private property entails.  The contrast between 30 million people starving to death and no one at all starving to death is pretty stark.

That said, I'm not convince that private property inside the game is the most efficient mechanism for organizing in-game society.  There are a bunch of different forces at work in-game.

But in a village that is looking low on food (every berry bush empty), if I want to ensure that all of my children live to 60, having a bit of private food production infrastructure doesn't sound like a terrible idea.

#52 2019-11-24 01:12:23

StrongForce

Re: Coming soon: way stones

The last two comments are very productive.

Bring an idea that's what this forum is for.

Baby dance!!

Board footer