One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-11-07 17:46:14

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Idea to reduce food waste and make "big foods" more beneficial

Yes, tobiasisahawk, good thinking there.

You're right that it wouldn't make the game fundamentally "easier" long-term.  Short-term, it would definitely change the rhythm.  I've never thought that the current rhythm was all that great.  Food is running out over time, that's the main threat.  Dealing with that threat requires a lot of planning and skill.  Remembering to eat every X seconds is more of a necessary annoyance than anything else.  It's just busy work necessary to make the food run out.

But if people could "tank up"... well, it really creates some interesting situations.  Take it to the extreme as a thought experiment.  Say you had 100 or 1000 food pips instead of 20.  Now what?  Well, it would be possible, as Eve, to eat every damn berry around, which would give you a huge personal stockpile and make starvation impossible for you.  But what about everyone else?  Well, they're all screwed!  Suddenly, there's a whole new moral game to play.  Can I justify tanking up?  What do I need that personal stockpile for, exactly?  In the current game, someone munching pies repeatedly on a nearly-full stomach is griefing to waste food with no benefit to themselves.  But if each person had 1000 food pips.... that pie-gobbler would be reaping a huge personal benefit at the expense of the collective.  That's a much juicier moral situation.

And yes, it would make it more difficult, collectively.  When your neighbor starts gobbling food, what do you do?  You see the food disappearing, better gobble some too, right?  Seems like this would open up the game to all kinds of rationing schemes, etc.  Looking at it another way, food you put in your own belly becomes your inalienable personal property.  This is similar to taking a bunch of pies in the current game and putting them behind your fence.  But everyone is carrying their own personal fence with them at all times.

Most extreme thought-experiment version:  everyone has infinite stomach size.

Anyway, this is definitely food for thought, amirite.

The one place that I'm still given pause with all of this is babies and children and old people.  They currently have a faster rhythm than everyone else, and I don't want to undercut that.  If we pick a fixed stomach size that we like, say 40, then it seems like BB stomach size could start at 4 and grow up to 40 by age 16, just like it does now.

#52 2019-11-07 19:01:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Also, tobias, 2x stomach size doesn't really help to make "big" foods better than small foods.

That's why I'm still tempted to handle this as overflow, and not allowing you to eat more until the overflow is consumed.  This would pretty much not affect the rhythm of the primitive game at all.  But late game, if you eat the best pie, it would slow the rhythm down a lot.

To avoid buffing babies, the simplest option is to make overflow only possible when you have a full-size stomach.  Maybe you get a little + next to your stomach when you are in this state.  This starts at age 16, and ends at age 40, so 24 minutes.  A good chunk of your life.  And if you are a fit elderly person, this will be a longer time (you keep you 20 pips until an older age.... I could adjust it to work this way).

#53 2019-11-07 20:24:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, I decided to do this, using a similar curve to what miskas suggested.  Thus, this pretty much doesn't change baby care at all, and children and elderly people are still vulnerable.

But it also opens up a huge range for possible big foods, like feasts, and fixes one huge hole in the existing foods:  6 nibbles of a small food are no longer functionally equivalent to one huge gulp of a big food.  You cannot tank up on small foods.

The curve for how big your overflow is, based on how big your base stomach is, is here:

TCDSoSX.png

You can see that it's at least +2 always, so that even babies and get a small taste of it, and it ramps up in your teens.  It is currently effectively infinite in adulthood, because there's no food that big (yet).

When your overflow area is full, you can't eat anything else.  This gives new meaning to the FULL display, which was always on the screen very briefly before.

I was hesitant to do this because of the hidden curve, but I think players will get it.  They can "tank up" more and more as they get bigger.

I don't think this necessarily makes the game easier.  The big foods that have the biggest impact are more expensive and difficult to make.  This has almost no impact on your basic berry muncher, or on wild-forage-based journeying.

Griefing through overeating, at least for adults, is now impossible.  Though of course repeat-nursing to burn food is still an option.

#54 2019-11-07 20:26:22

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Aw heck, I'll make it +1 always, instead of +2.  No sense in making the childhood game too much easier.  But I still want there to be some indication of overflow possibilities.

#55 2019-11-07 22:08:56

Coconut Fruit

Idk, this curve feels weird and unintuitive. Further more vanilla users don't even know their age.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#56 2019-11-08 04:24:37

miskas

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Idk, this curve feels weird and unintuitive. Furthermore vanilla users don't even know their age.

you don't need to know your age , but your stomach pips and these are displayed.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#57 2019-11-08 09:30:47

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

I didn't know about the yellow fever exploit that keeps yum.  I'll fix that.  Yellow fever is supposed to require help of others to nurse you back to health.

45x, 906+ yum I think was the record: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/411734181

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#58 2019-11-08 14:20:25

Tempted

Keyin wrote:

why not do something similar to Haven and Hearth to balance it out?

In Haven and Hearth, when you overeat it makes you slow(to represent being stuffed)

Something like 20-30% lower speed I think would be good. 

If you decided to do that, you'd also need to make it so that people can't overfeed you to make you slow as a way to grief/troll.

Also, maybe lower the food pips to 15 like you were saying and make your max food bonus 3x your stomach? so a baby with 3 pips max bonus could be 9 pips.

This right here. Not ridiculously slow, but it nerfs you some. So if you practice this, you may end up being an unhealthy fat ass, but it won't kill you. Make it a risk vs. reward. In some situations, maybe it'll be beneficial, in others, not so much.

Board footer