One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#101 2019-11-13 20:17:23

DestinyCall

Re: Coming soon: Character skills (tools)

Even more annoying than lasso?

#102 2019-11-13 20:24:59

Kaveh

How is lasso annoying?

Tongs being a tool feels silly to me too. Oh you need to smith something? Use up two tool slots instead of one like every other task where at least you have the option of splitting the tools between you and another person if it requires more than one tool.

#103 2019-11-13 20:35:55

DestinyCall

Kaveh wrote:

How is lasso annoying?

Have you ever used the lasso?     It is very annoying.

#104 2019-11-13 20:43:18

Saolin

Also hatchet and axe should be just one tool slot for both. Hatchet can't do anything different and is just a worse axe.

#105 2019-11-13 22:04:02

Kaveh

DestinyCall wrote:
Kaveh wrote:

How is lasso annoying?

Have you ever used the lasso?     It is very annoying.

I have, so that didn't answer my question lmao

#106 2019-11-21 05:16:29

Spoonwood

Alright, so I watched Twisted on a Twitch stream run out of tool slots in one life.  The village had compost piles that weren't composting (no flies on them), so he told some boy to follow him and shovel the sheep dung and that's what the boy did.  I saw new players standing around kind of acting like the children who have said 'job?'.  One of them said something like "I can do stuff for you, if you tell me how to do it".  Another 'what you need?'.  So, I would imagine that this system might have other instances where new players receive more direction with this system than before it existed with what happened with Twisted.  And maybe they are learning more than before.  But also, they can't learn as many different things in a life.... not by actually doing themselves at least.  So, I'm not so sure that linking this to gene score is on target... if new players are running out of tool slots.

The benefit in Twisted's example wasn't from the constraint, but the result in that the interaction of Twisted teaching someone else something which maybe he doesn't stop to do otherwise.  The benefit I think more for the player just standing there.  Maybe it made it easier for Twisted to ROLEPLAY as if he was parenting or a village wise woman, so I could see benefit to him in that respect.  Still, I think the benefit of that happening lay more for the new player than Twisted. 

I don't think village tours are happening because of this.

It might be kind of nice if players got a tool slot boost for interacting with each other.  Like if there existed a mentor/apprenticeship role where they were working together on some project like getting sheep.

Hmmm...

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#107 2019-11-21 05:33:28

Spoonwood

I think there's a more powerful way, if this idea makes for a good one (I don't see a single benefit for someone Eve-chaining, but I digress) than linking the number of tool slots to gene score.  Implementation of this so far has relied on the assumption of a constant number of tool slots over one's life (unless I missed something).  But, what if as one could talk with more and more characters s/he got less tool slots?  Or that the number of tool slots one had was low in childhood, peaked in adulthood, and declined in old age?

The idea here isn't to constrain more players, but rather to encourage them more into a mentoring role as they age/simulate the physical abilities of people as they change throughout their real lives.  Since they know they won't be able to do things as they reach old age, they will have to find help or think about what the village can use.  They won't be able to do as many specialized tasks.  So, they would have to do more basic things, or have to take on a mentoring role/village elder role.  Decreasing numbers of tool slots in old age would also seem to fit rather well with objective 6:

jasonrohrer wrote:

To increase the importance of communication between village adults and incoming children.

I mean if you can't hammer out an axe or shovel with a smithing hammer anymore because you don't have the muscles anymore, there's some need to try to communicate that knowledge with incoming children.

Though... as Pein might want to object... with something like the lathe or the hammer, the machines run out so fast, and other factors, that mentorship of that sort of thing would be rather difficult if the survival was depending on a diesel water pump getting up.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer