One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-03-29 20:57:31

Morti

Re: Early Tool Overhaul - Stone, Copper, Bronze, Iron

Malachite is still freely available on the surface.
Would be easy to make copper hammer required to make steel hammer.
The hot steel hammer head would require copper hammer, instead of rock and wrought iron would also require copper smithing hammer instead of rock.
Copper ingots could be heated using one load of charcoal, whereas iron and steel could require two loads, to reflect the increased heat requirements.
Also, maybe a dedicated person on the bellows, to increase oxygen flow to the furnace. Maybe clicking on the bellows after the two loads of charcoal have been lit, increases the intensity of the light and sound and puts the person in a 3 second animation lock, and only in that time can a crucible with iron and charcoal be fired, so it's a two person job.

Copper tools could last as long as existing steel ones, and steel tools could last twice as long.

But...

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1239
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 270#p11270

2018-04-28 15:36:17

jasonrohrer wrote:

This game is not a historical simulation.

If people didn't make backpacks in ancient times, that doesn't matter.

There will never be a bronze age in this game.

This is a game about modern people starting over from scratch.

I suppose he said there'd never be a bronze age, didn't say anything about there not being a copper age.

And even then, we could just chalk that statement up to Jason being artistic, and have a Bronze Age, if he was really willing, or, kindly persuaded enough.

Copper could require stone, bronze could require copper, iron could require bronze and steel could require iron. Then tungsten carbide could require steel and unobtainium could require tungsten carbide.

#27 2020-03-29 21:53:27

Psykout

That quote was from almost 2yrs ago so hopefully could rethink that. I think it's just really hard pressed to make steel feel special when it's what every single thing is made out of.

Also rather than doubling up the charcoal add coal from the mines and boom. Also that would reflect that early steel was made with charcoal but later steel was made using coal.

#28 2020-03-29 22:17:23

antking:]#

I hope Jason is listening and reading this

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#29 2020-03-29 23:46:27

Morti

Psykout wrote:

That quote was from almost 2yrs ago so hopefully could rethink that. I think it's just really hard pressed to make steel feel special when it's what every single thing is made out of.

Also rather than doubling up the charcoal add coal from the mines and boom. Also that would reflect that early steel was made with charcoal but later steel was made using coal.

Yeah, many times I have wanted to make the distinction between charcoal and bituminous coal, but just, never really felt the need.
I imagine Jason feels like that a lot, when some particular mechanic is on his mind, while people are asking for a dozen others.

Electric furnaces would be another thing. Speaking of which, do you guys know about aluminum and Iceland? Why they are such huge producers of the world's supply of aluminum? Because they have a massive abundance of electricity there, due to it being a natural geothermal hotspot right on the midatlantic ridge. I just takes too much electricity to justify processing, what was it, bauxite, into aluminum, anywhere else on Earth.

... or at least, that's was the case, prior to 2012?? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium … refinement

Wikipedia wrote:

Aluminium production is highly energy-consuming, and so the producers tend to locate smelters in places where electric power is both plentiful and inexpensive.[111] As of 2012, the world's largest smelters of aluminium are located in China, Russia, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, and South Africa.[112]

Not a mention of Iceland there...

Huh.

Maybe another "fact" I was either lied to about or misinterpretted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti … =158513228

I suppose as a % of their GDP, maybe it's higher?

There is this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_o … ufacturing but, anyway. It's important there, which, doesn't sound nearly as cool, as, THE WORLDS NUMBER ONE PRODUCER but still, cool, none-the-less. I think they had a financial crisis, at some point in the country's recent history, that involved global deals with aluminum production, maybe that was before 2007 and the earliest record, at least, for that list, on Wikipedia. Maybe someone knows a lot more than I do about it, that can clear it up.

But that's way off topic... but not that far.

I really want aluminum, or 'aluminium' in the game someday. Maybe, for baking potatoes and crafting lightweight aircraft?

Sure there are lots of, interesting, reasons for having aluminum. Especially if it came down to having to refine bauxite, and, generating electricity becomes like making charcoal, and people have to decide whether to gather branches, or cut into the towns firewood, drastically reducing the fuel and temperature (and food, water, iron and soil...) efficiency for the town.

How I long for the days, when batteries run out of juice, and we have to decide between paying the gas bill OR the electric bill, and living without one or the other, till we get the money.... no, I don't really wish to relive that last one in game, but, some equivalent would be a meaningful reminder.

Board footer