One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-28 02:11:32

TrustyWay

Re: Knives and Raiding an Impossible Idea?

Woooff, I put my heart in those many knives making, I was upset that someone could kill everyone from the inside for being a dead hobo

I dont really matter if anything happend to them, it's life.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-03-28 02:32:00)

#27 2018-03-28 02:26:07

Smiley6

This msg is to the "raiding village"
If you think you can kill people/ raid a village without consequences. You need to rethink your life. In game of coarse.

P.S. If i see people making heaps of weapons they will promptly die by there very own creation.

How is making heaps of weapons progress?

-from
just a humble pine castle  builder.

#28 2018-03-28 04:33:14

Avalikia

Hmm, all I'm seeing here is a player who can dish it out but can't take it.

#29 2018-03-28 05:02:38

fragilityh14

why are you murdering an old woman on a small farm, when you don't even need her things? If murdering a random old woman is legit choosing to kill a parent is.

I mean, it's within the mechanics of the game that some people will be destructive unproductive raiders, but why is that who you would want to be?

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#30 2018-03-28 05:45:33

lesslucid

Goliath wrote:

3. What you did by growing up as a child and slaying your own mother over a previous life event is called griefing.

"Thieving and murdering for no real reason is fine, it's just roleplaying as a thief and murderer lol." 
"When you get me back, though, that's griefing, it's unfair, you shouldn't be allowed to do that." 

WTH?

#31 2018-03-28 06:40:19

Goliath

I think a few people in this community justify griefing because they've never been apart of a community that has a 24/7 world before.

Still zero reason a baby kills her mother for it's past life memories.

I can understand everyone's point but missing you are missing the point that this game is. "Limited resource base"
Has "pvp"

I guess the only solution after raiding a rival village is to kill your offspring for 10 years in game because there is no reason to raise the village you conquorer.

The old hag had a farm with resources to gain.
I still don't understand how people are justifying past memories then griefing.
It's hilarious, I'm not even salty.
I'm literally wrighting on a forum to inform the community of the broken mechanic. Either you have the eyes to see or you don't. Next time I'll just be sure to not give people knives that don't deserve it.

This game is in some kind of nomad stage, the only people that deserve a knife are royalty with golden crowns.
Other then that thanks for everyone's point of view.

It was a great roleplay experience, even if the spirit of a dead hag came back to bite me. Its still bs. But if that's going to be an aspect of the game, then be prepared to receive it.

Last edited by Goliath (2018-03-28 06:42:10)

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork.

#32 2018-03-28 07:26:16

Zwilnik

Goliath wrote:

I think a few people in this community justify griefing because they've never been apart of a community that has a 24/7 world before.

Still zero reason a baby kills her mother for it's past life memories..

No.

A player who you griefed got revenge on you for spoiling their game. You were the crappy player. Deliberately setting out to annoy other players.

#33 2018-03-28 08:19:25

Goliath

Zwilnik wrote:
Goliath wrote:

No.

A player who you griefed got revenge on you for spoiling their game. You were the crappy player. Deliberately setting out to annoy other players.

Debunked.
PvP, limited resources based game.
You forget I was a den mother of a bigger village.
I declared war with a small stone in a bigger idea and I was destroyed from within by a broken mechanic.

If I'm a crappy player after helping create middle tech to conquor, then so be it carrot farmer.  Lol!

#34 2018-03-28 08:34:19

Zwilnik

You can’t even see that you’re the arsehole can you?
You bullied another player for absolutely no reason at all and then expected them to do nothing because in your head it’s ok?

#35 2018-03-28 09:03:10

Dagar

Goliath and TrustyWay, in my opinion you are the ones who were griefing. Others already tried to explain why you are not in the position to complain, and you chose not to listen, but let me try anyway, if only for the sake of adding my voice.

You wanted to roleplay raiders. Cool, I can totally go with that. There were and are many great people and nations basing their sustenance on taking from others, like the sea people the Mediterranean, the Mongols, pirates. They took valuables from weaker nations and fueled their campaign with what they got from them.
What did you do? You had a rich settlement with advanced weapons and the infrastructure to make them, and you went to another village to steal... carrots. The food that is the easiest to come by in this game state. And you killed players for it, razing the whole village so that no one was there to farm more carrots for you in the future. In other words, you did not raid to take valuables while keeping the option up to come back later to raid more, you attacked for the thrill you get when having power over others. That's not roleplaying raiding, that's griefing, or at least roleplaying a village of psychopaths. No real raiders would have done something like this, because they risked their actual lives for stuff to keep themselves alive and well. You just killed people for a bunch of crap you could easily have made yourself in less time and with much lower risk than what you actually did.
If you want to roleplay raiding, do it right and in a sensible manner. If there is a poor village that just manages to make carrots, let live whoever does not fight back and let them pay you tribute instead of slaughtering everyone. Use your force not as an end in itself, but to accomplish things. Else you are roleplaying psychopaths, and you don't need to wonder if you give rise to more psychopathic behaviour. In addition to being called out as the griefers you actually were.

#36 2018-03-28 14:23:28

IronBear

Goliath wrote:

Just a thought, was kind of bummed to see such a good village go down to a griefer that we raided previously.

Solid Role-plays up until that point.

I personally love that she did that.  We have enough of a problem with real griefers.  If murder became mainstream, then nothing would get done.

#37 2018-03-28 14:29:57

IronBear

Ditto on what Dagar said.  You were not role-playing a raider, you were role-playing a griefers.

Also don't have to kill people to take their stuff.  One time I wanted to found a new village and I easily snuck in and ran off with stuff for my new village.  A large town is so busy and rich that it won't notice cartloads of stuff vanishing.

#38 2018-03-28 14:29:59

TrustyWay

At the end I just do what the game let me do, if you hate raid village, just take over one, take weapons and make them your slaves, remove iron and milk weed, take tribut, ask for sacrifice.

That is what is cool with the game, freedom. I was a mean bandit and smith master once, why couldn't I be a hero next time.

I dont kill people I trust or family but I am mean indeed

Old rag died while running first time I see that, that was an impressive stab.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-03-28 14:35:05)

#39 2018-03-28 16:35:16

Aname

Thorware wrote:

Trusty, you seem to be thinking Yogotronik was the old hag. He was not. I was. He cannot speak for me. He is simply responding to the story as an interested outsider.

For the record, I did not "slaughter the town." I killed exactly one person, my mother. I left everyone else alone, on purpose, except Aname who sparred with me for the rest of my life. A one-for-one exchange seems to me to be a reasonable revenge, not an out-of-control griefing spree against a superior village out of jealousy.

As I understand it, there was infighting after my single attack, and this caused the town to wipe out. I don't know how this played out as I had already run off for awhile.

yea but the only person we needed was the mother because she was the only girl in the town so when she died town was ded too.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#40 2018-03-28 20:31:15

Goliath

Aname wrote:
Thorware wrote:

Trusty, you seem to be thinking Yogotronik was the old hag. He was not. I was. He cannot speak for me. He is simply responding to the story as an interested outsider.

For the record, I did not "slaughter the town." I killed exactly one person, my mother. I left everyone else alone, on purpose, except Aname who sparred with me for the rest of my life. A one-for-one exchange seems to me to be a reasonable revenge, not an out-of-control griefing spree against a superior village out of jealousy.

As I understand it, there was infighting after my single attack, and this caused the town to wipe out. I don't know how this played out as I had already run off for awhile.

yea but the only person we needed was the mother because she was the only girl in the town so when she died town was ded too.

yeah baby that killed raiding mom was a griefer.

I love how people think the two raiders were griefing.
When they were just using game mechanics that the developer even eluded to.
Limited resources.
pvp.
You raid people. Period.
Your baby shouldn't retrain information from past life and then proceed to kill the den mother.

I could only imagine other perspectives in your actually life on planet Earth, if this is how you game in such a interesting game like this. LOL

plus if you havn't noticed. the Word "hag" was the reason he griefed.

Developer needs to implenment a report button.

Because at this point. pvp and raiding are broken.
And trust me. I play gmod, I don't need to listen to newbs justify griefing.

If that's how you play, is to grief, once you've been beat.
Then like I said. You sew what you reap.
Be prepared to receive professional major league gamers. That look for exploitations like this, such as myself.
Why else would I be complaining? I could just of let it go, and used it to my advantage but i'm a professninal gamer. No need for exploitations especially in pvp and when its centered around limited resources. This is such a dynamic game and can be crippled by babies killing moms after 10 mins because that "tribe" offended them in their past life.

Anyways thanks for everyone opinion.
Just remember when you're griefed. Don't complain because it's all part of the game like so many people have said.

Raider or Exploiter. This community has made their stance on new lives and revenge.

Last edited by Goliath (2018-03-28 20:33:04)

#41 2018-03-28 21:04:22

Yogotronik

Goliath, I just don’t understand where your getting these rules, cause they’re not from this game. I also don’t understand why you feel that people not playing by your rules is a broken mechanic. I know your frustrated with it, but if you could make some arguments or present some evidence that would help me see where your coming from.

I see you insisting your right, but I don’t see you actually giving a reason why. It may be my failings to understand. I can accept that. But I don’t want to dismiss your perspective before hearing out your reasoning.

#42 2018-03-28 21:14:41

Aname

Zwilnik wrote:
Goliath wrote:

No.

if killing another settlement for resources is griefing then is raiding impossible to do. do you think in real life there where no raids.

i dont think that raid was griefing only if we destroyed youre whole town by placing adobe ovens and making trash pits everywhere then it was griefing.

but we took those supplies for our own village so its raiding not griefing. and if you annoy some player by raiding him thats just stupid and too bad for that person because it can happen to everyone.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#43 2018-03-29 02:01:56

Hiker170

I agree with Goliath, that the mechanic is broken. If you happen to kill a so-called griefer and they return to the village they can just kill you again and again as long as you have the village going. The reincarnation mechanic is a negative for both raiding, village creation and war. This is due to the fact that if you spawn in amongst the enemy nothing stops you from becoming trying to kill them from the inside. 

Goliath coming from Gmod probably respects the idea of rp death and that if you were killed by someone it is part of the game and you should move on, cause it happens. Yet even though his justification for killing the "old hag" is weak, you gotta look past it guys. The resources in this game are limited and people will eventually fight over them because they cross into each others borders. Even carrots in this case could be seen as valuable if they were low on seeds.

Goliath though you gotta realise as well that your aim to create a raiding village also crosses a line, if you constantly try to create a raiding village then you are also carryiing on previous infomation. Along with carrying on crafting recipes and rules that you may have created in previous lives so its more of a question on where each person chooses this line is. Like you said maybe during a war or raid you don't allow any new children to be born into the village as a rule you create for wartime. Maybe Jason makes it so on death you are forced onto another server, but eventually after enough deaths they may still come back wanting revenge. It is an interesting issue to think about dealing with.

I feel that calling someone a griefer for killing people in this game is ridicoulous, the fact that you can respawn instantly and have infinite lives, means you can keep coming back with no permanent effects on the land you came from, maybe you find it again maybe you don't but it will still be there waiting for someone to find it. I feel the true griefer within this game is those that permanently destroy resources making it impossible for a town to keep going or start up again.

#44 2018-03-29 03:40:29

Lily

Personally I don't like the idea of raiding much but I have to agree that if you raid and steal someone's supplies that is at least legit. Building an oven or something to block people's towns off and stuff is lame however. That clearly isn't playing the game as intended and they are going to have to fix that in a patch.

#45 2018-03-29 03:48:38

lesslucid

Yogotronik wrote:

Goliath, I just don’t understand where your getting these rules, cause they’re not from this game.

"I want to do whatever I like, including killing other people for no real reason. So, I've invented some rules for myself that make this all OK." 

"However, I don't like it when other people do the same thing back to me. So I've invented some more rules that make it wrong for other people to behave in ways that inconvenience me. Now I'm going to pretend that these rules I made up to justify my selfishness and hypocrisy weren't my own invention, but in fact descended from the heavens on stone tablets and should be obeyed by all players because of their inherent and obvious deep legitimacy."

#46 2018-03-29 03:57:39

Lily

Dagar wrote:

What did you do? You had a rich settlement with advanced weapons and the infrastructure to make them, and you went to another village to steal... carrots. The food that is the easiest to come by in this game state. And you killed players for it, razing the whole village so that no one was there to farm more carrots for you in the future. In other words, you did not raid to take valuables while keeping the option up to come back later to raid more, you attacked for the thrill you get when having power over others. That's not roleplaying raiding, that's griefing, or at least roleplaying a village of psychopaths. No real raiders would have done something like this, because they risked their actual lives for stuff to keep themselves alive and well. You just killed people for a bunch of crap you could easily have made yourself in less time and with much lower risk than what you actually did.

That is true. Honestly, you could just show up with a cart and just steal everyone's stuff. If you are in a small group and all armed, no one is going to stop you. You wouldn't have to kill anyone unless they resist and people would probably respect them more if they roleplayed being raiders and took their stuff. They might still die if you take enough from them but at least they have a chance.

#47 2018-03-29 09:45:47

Cyniko

Lily wrote:

That is true. Honestly, you could just show up with a cart and just steal everyone's stuff. If you are in a small group and all armed, no one is going to stop you. You wouldn't have to kill anyone unless they resist and people would probably respect them more if they roleplayed being raiders and took their stuff. They might still die if you take enough from them but at least they have a chance.

I hope I did the quote right, I usually dont skim forums but this game is fantastic and here I am.
THIS method of raiding would have been epic, it would have created an amazing RP dialogue, shown a more cunning force, and would have made it clear you were after "supplies, stuff" and not some kill thrill.

I wouldnt doubt that it would have given a greater possibility to a past memory pardon, rather then a backstab. But here I am attempting to tell others how to raid or 'play' the game. I think the comparisons between RL and video game have a limit. Can of worms sort of thing.

I do not see anyone really in the 'wrong' here. PvP happened and in a survival game PvP can sting, it can really cut deep. Just remember that when slaughtering unnarmed people trying to have their own fun as well. And always if you -rise to the FIGHT, prepare for the FATE.

#48 2018-03-29 10:26:38

Yogotronik

Hiker170 makes a great point, I disagree that the reincarnation mechanic is broken due to the random spawn factor, but it is exploitable. Killing people isn’t greifing but exploiting mechanics of the game is. I personally wouldn’t say killing your own mom out of revenge from a past life is an exploitation of the in game mechanics but it is cheap. So is raiding tiny carrot farms, but I understand the disagreement on the issues.

PvP is an intended mechanic, through that one could argue raiding is an intentional mechanic as well, and I could see how raiding is broken. At the same time I doubt that’s gonna be a focus, and I can’t say I mind that. A game is always a balance of intention and mechanics. Where it will go in the future will depend more on that then minor grievances of how people wish they could play the game.

#49 2018-03-29 11:05:56

Rebel

Thing is, Raiding is not griefing.

Thing is, Growing up in a raiding village and not liking what their family does so they take action against it, isn't griefing. EVEN if that person was someone the village killed in another life.

As Good villages have the problem of spawning Bad people,
Bad villages also have the problem of spawning Good People.

Board footer