One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-07-03 18:17:26

ollj

Re: Using the name "Hope".

actually, i was able to chose my name twice, in the same town, and it was some minor silly fun bonus in the context of the town:

born into the town that had fertiles in the tutorial zone, i was asked what my name should be two times by adoptive caretakers, due to a large number of neglectve awestruck moms in that famioly. Both lives where this happened to me there, i asked to be named "jesus", not for reigiously loaded reasons, but for the sillyness of its roleplay potential, as i was kind of trying to guide a whole town of people, who where mostly awestruck by being born in the tutorial arera.
and i made screenshots, to honor people that folowed my wishes.
th main idea here is to be a "jesus" that stabs griefers , greedy people and greedy murderers.
Then, people must at least type "curse jesus", and thats a silly win win situation too me.

roleplaying as "jesus" leader, i tried to inspire people to cooperative and mutually beneficial projects (mostly roadbuilding related).

It kinda worked, i started the road south, when i realized i was in the tutorial area (noone else at the moment seemed to care to tell me this for 15 mionutes of my second life there, when everyone was building a kitchen together), and others at least build it till the southern founding-village.

it kinda worked, i taught two people how to cooperate to break a wall with pickaxe, and i met them later, both of us reincarnated, making fun of our past lifes, now with all walls decayed, the lessons taught where locally obsolete.

it kinda worked, i had a child that repeated "im new, what to do?" and i just replied "wath and imittate others", because thats just very basic gameplay.

it utterly failed, berry farming newbies will stay berry farming newbies. wasting water, soil and time; and greedy fuckers will just make at least two knifes per person, which leads to mass murder, instead of snake cleansing.

it utterly failed, people where dumb enough to make more war swords, when i told them, that tne closest foreign family is 10k far away, and unlikely many foreign people will ever arrive by planes at once. theres no air raids in ohol. (the founding mom posessed a war sword, back then it made sende, because she was semi-alone and may not be a mayority for long)

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-03 18:29:06)

#27 2019-07-03 20:38:01

AdelaSkarupa

HumboldtStoneHoe wrote:

naming your children hope is a great way of showing them that they're the village's last resort, a woman capable of doing a bottleneck and turning a humble town into a megacity, it's a beautiful show of this game's culture and yet you resort to stabbing children with that name simply because you don't like it thus stripping them of their constitutional and international and moral right to living in that town simply because of their name (did i mention it's beautiful) stab people who speak up against "hope", name your children "hope" or you may just be a light handed gentleman

I agree with that point. Just naming a child Hope quickly communicates the situation of the town and what their responsibility is going to be. You can say "You are Hope" or you can say "There are no fertile women left in town and you are the last girl, so have a lot of kids." I also think when you see a bustling town, to meet a woman named Hope quickly communicates that they are the one that saved the family.

I think the emergent culture of the players is a beautiful thing.

#28 2019-07-04 01:36:44

Jk Howling

I mean yeah its definitely one of my least favorite names in recent times because of how commonly it's been used, but I'm not going to doom a village just because "reee the name I don't even see on my screen 90% of the time and doesn't affect me whatsoever is one I dont rly like D:"

With name cults fixed [no more Steve Steveson and Steve Steveson II, it just automatically goes to the next unused name now] I don't rly have a problem with stuff like this anymore. Your name doesn't affect your life whatsoever in this so its pretty irrelevant. I might roll my eyes or /ill at a name I dont like but no need to suicide and potentially doom a family over it?

-Has ascended to better games-

Board footer