One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#176 2018-06-03 14:56:15

Mirelli

Re: Missed Connections

Ribbz wrote:

Hey Great Uncle Tobias, told you I'd see you on the other side. Our family is doing well after the two of us retrieved that lamb. I continued to hunt for the rest of my days killing off the surrounding wolves so the Mouflin could easily breed for reliable mutton. Without all the mutton I was able to bring in we were able to have a decent stock of pies and its thanks to you.

Your great nephew,

Greenlee

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=236659

Hey! So happy to hear everyone was still going strong. I was able to get the lamb into the pen when you left but was worried that it might be able to escape. I deliberately died in the middle of the pen for dramatic effect lol. That teamwork tho <3

I usually play as Eve Storm. If you’re named Phoenix, Bear, Winter, or Summer, it’s probably me smile

#177 2018-06-03 16:33:02

D3mon1cblack

Dear nameless uncle
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=237952

You raised me as if i were your kid (mom didnt care) I brought you guys some soil and bunnies popped out some kids aswell
you were our great carrot farmer. i had a kid named lucky because he would have been my last then i popped another one.  I was planning to abandon him but you gave him a berry so i took care of him. not long after that you died of old age requesting a grave with headstone. I made you one. the kids went tending the farm and i ended up dying by a snake bite
I hope i will see you once more
mutch love nameless girl

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#178 2018-06-03 20:48:49

Lotus

To Kimyah Green, my mother

I was your firstborn Alex Green. You threatened to kill me if I moved. You told me there was a huge camp and you set off for some reason and couldn't find it, so you recolonized.

You had no girls so I was forced to find the camp. I did, returned to you, and lead you down there. But as we reached the edge of the camp, you abruptly transformed into a pile of bones. I was heartbroken, I wanted so badly to see you reunite happily with your family.

I stole another lost soul's gravestone and burried you in a great green field, where you could have peace and quiet away from the rest of your fallen family members. I picked a rose and put it onto your grave, and wore your skirt for the rest of my life, which I lived happily in the town.
--

Last edited by Lotus (2018-06-03 20:55:52)

#179 2018-06-04 01:02:52

happynova

This is a message for the Miller family and concerns the most dramatic plot twist I have experienced in this game.

I was born to an Eve who didn't seem to have settled down, but was instead wandering from berry bush to berry bush.  I tried to follow her, but at some point we got separated, and I despaired of ever finding her again.  Instead, I found a good spot and set up a camp of my own.  I had two boys, Jojo and Benjamin.  Jojo died young, but Ben lived to adulthood and was an all-around great kid. 

I also had two little girls, very close together, and my biggest regret was not being able to keep them alive.  I don't know what happened.  They both sounded super-competent, and we were discussing plans for what they would do when they were old enough.  Then one "F"ed, so  I went to pick her up -- I wasn't far away -- but before I got to her, she died!  I turned to the other to feed her instead... and she died!  Did I get so caught up in talking, so eager to share all my knowledge of the area around us, or oblivious in my excitement to have someone to carry on my line, that I wasn't paying enough attention to them?  Did the text of my words cover up their pleas for food?  I don't know, but I lost them, and I blamed myself.  (I should have made a fire!  Why didn't I make a fire?!  They even told me they were cold, but I just took it as a cue to tell them about the lack of desert around us and how we hadn't hunted any bunnies yet, but had a comfortable food supply.  I hang my head in shame.)

I grew old with no more children, and in my waning moments, I told Ben my story, how I had (literally) lost my mother, and that it's possible he might still have family somewhere.   Then I walked just a little way away from Ben to get more food  And, at that very moment, a stranger comes walking in nonchalantly from the west with a casual "hi."  It's my brother, Bobby!  A little brother I never knew! 

He was at the bottom of my screen, and Ben was just out of my vision to the top.  I don't know if they even saw each other.  But I think they both heard me scream, "My brother!!!"

And then I dropped dead.

And I gotta know...  Ben, Bobby, anybody from the Miller family, if you're reading this...  Did you find each other?  Did--?

Oh.  Wait.  I just reloaded the family tree as I was typing this, and the story looks like it ends sadly and all too soon.  But I'd still like to know what happened!

(And, while I'm at it, I apologize to those two girls.  I think one of them is probably around here, because I think I remember a "Q."  What can I say?  I like to think I'm gettning decent-ish at this game, but sometimes I'm still an idiot.)

#180 2018-06-04 01:07:20

lostlandofcarrots

To the Sun family-

Words cannot describe how happy I was when I returned to our village in my old age, after a life in the wilderness, and discovered that not only did my griefer of a mother not wipe you out, but that you were thriving even more than before. I am sorry I ran from her when I was young; I've taken a vow not to kill anyone in this game ever again. I hope you find the little camp I set up in the north; I hope it is of use if anyone griefs again.

To my nameless little sister: thank you for staying by my side until the end.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=242972

#181 2018-06-04 01:17:43

Stankysteve

I just wanna bring the thread back around with a post like OP's, since so many people are calling out very specific connections.

-The unknown connections, the lost ones - The missed connections. The people who taught us before we knew how to do some of the most basic of activities. The people who showed us the prep rituals needed to work ovens kilns and forges. The patient tired parents who explained what a seed row is and how berries regrow. The relatives who inspired us to be more then food sponges wandering from one meal to the next, but rather creators of something. I'm sorry I never got to thank you more personally, either because I ran off and/or died, you ran off and/or died, forgot, or we were so busy with doing our work together there was no time. Whatever the case may have been, thank you for getting me to where I'm at in the game now.

#182 2018-06-04 01:17:51

lostlandofcarrots

happynova wrote:

This is a message for the Miller family and concerns the most dramatic plot twist I have experienced in this game.

I was born to an Eve who didn't seem to have settled down, but was instead wandering from berry bush to berry bush.  I tried to follow her, but at some point we got separated, and I despaired of ever finding her again.  Instead, I found a good spot and set up a camp of my own.  I had two boys, Jojo and Benjamin.  Jojo died young, but Ben lived to adulthood and was an all-around great kid. 

I also had two little girls, very close together, and my biggest regret was not being able to keep them alive.  I don't know what happened.  They both sounded super-competent, and we were discussing plans for what they would do when they were old enough.  Then one "F"ed, so  I went to pick her up -- I wasn't far away -- but before I got to her, she died!  I turned to the other to feed her instead... and she died!  Did I get so caught up in talking, so eager to share all my knowledge of the area around us, or oblivious in my excitement to have someone to carry on my line, that I wasn't paying enough attention to them?  Did the text of my words cover up their pleas for food?  I don't know, but I lost them, and I blamed myself.  (I should have made a fire!  Why didn't I make a fire?!  They even told me they were cold, but I just took it as a cue to tell them about the lack of desert around us and how we hadn't hunted any bunnies yet, but had a comfortable food supply.  I hang my head in shame.)

I grew old with no more children, and in my waning moments, I told Ben my story, how I had (literally) lost my mother, and that it's possible he might still have family somewhere.   Then I walked just a little way away from Ben to get more food  And, at that very moment, a stranger comes walking in nonchalantly from the west with a casual "hi."  It's my brother, Bobby!  A little brother I never knew! 

He was at the bottom of my screen, and Ben was just out of my vision to the top.  I don't know if they even saw each other.  But I think they both heard me scream, "My brother!!!"

And then I dropped dead.

And I gotta know...  Ben, Bobby, anybody from the Miller family, if you're reading this...  Did you find each other?  Did--?

Oh.  Wait.  I just reloaded the family tree as I was typing this, and the story looks like it ends sadly and all too soon.  But I'd still like to know what happened!

(And, while I'm at it, I apologize to those two girls.  I think one of them is probably around here, because I think I remember a "Q."  What can I say?  I like to think I'm gettning decent-ish at this game, but sometimes I'm still an idiot.)

Mom! I was Benjamin. Bobby stayed at the camp after you died. I wanted to make a forge, to make a shovel and chisel so I could make you a proper grave, and he helped me out by bringing stuff, but I unfortunately starved right as I was making popcorn.

The situation with my sisters might have been an unfortunate case of lag. It's happened to me before, kids just randomly dying.

I had a lot of fun in that life though! I hope we meet again in-game sometime smile

#183 2018-06-04 01:29:03

happynova

Benjamin!  So glad to see you here!  And I don't mind that you didn't get the chance to make me a grave, but I'm genuinely really touched by the thought.  I'm just sorry to know you died before you got to eat any of that popcorn.

I had fantasies of there perhaps being a big family waiting somewhere to take you in, with children to make a future for, but it looks like it wasn't to be.  Still, I'm glad there was a reunion of some sort at the end, and I will probably never get a more dramatic exit. smile

And you might very well be right about it being a lag issue.  I was experiencing a good bit of lag off and on that life, myself, although I never know if it's the game, or just my sometimes-flaky internet connection.

#184 2018-06-04 01:36:08

happynova

Stankysteve wrote:

I just wanna bring the thread back around with a post like OP's, since so many people are calling out very specific connections.

-The unknown connections, the lost ones - The missed connections. The people who taught us before we knew how to do some of the most basic of activities.

Specific and missed aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, as I think the story I told above about my long-lost family might illustrate. smile

But this is a lovely idea, and if we're doing this, I'd like to say a hearty "thank you" to the unknown person who patiently taught me how to make pies, at a point where I knew how to do nothing much more complicated than picking carrots.  Whoever you were, you made me feel like I really could contribute, and that activities that looked dauntingly complicated from the outside are actually totally doable once someone walks you through them a little.

I still think of you sometimes when I bake.

#185 2018-06-04 02:25:36

Cothfotmeoo
Website

To the Hilton family last night:  I, Lolita, made it through to old age after the bear ravaged our civilization murdering all the rest of my family.  As the last living woman I carried on the legacy to 2 new generations, having the great pleasure of being the grandmother to Paris.  Although we had plenty of food some of the kids and grand-kids died of starvation but I finally ended up making both the shovel and axe my mother had tasked me with as well as a chisel and adze head before I died.  Great memories.

#186 2018-06-04 02:42:24

WomanWizard

lostlandofcarrots wrote:

To the Sun family-

Words cannot describe how happy I was when I returned to our village in my old age, after a life in the wilderness, and discovered that not only did my griefer of a mother not wipe you out, but that you were thriving even more than before. I am sorry I ran from her when I was young; I've taken a vow not to kill anyone in this game ever again. I hope you find the little camp I set up in the north; I hope it is of use if anyone griefs again.

I was your nephew, Dwan! A whole bunch of us lived well enough to die of old age and my nephews were smithing by the end of my life. We had a shovel and I wanted to bury mom's bones, but I couldn't find them anywhere. You two were real troupers and the family thrived despite our griefer grandmother.

Of course, they aren't the Suns anymore since grandma didn't name you guys. That's a shame.

#187 2018-06-04 08:33:04

Realcooldude

Kids you did great. Sorry my other daughter ran off and died. Im still holding out hope for you yet.
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=246753

#188 2018-06-04 08:54:15

Feldspar

To my nameless son I killed- I'm soo sorry my boy! You were born mid hunt-I shot you by accident sad

Also Old Man Will- thanks for giving me your stuff. I placed your bones n the graveyard but couldn't find a shovel. When I came back a new gravedigger had come along and buried you. I was sad I never got to hold you a proper funeral but atleast you did get your final wish anyway. Thanks for telling me where the mouflon were, we have sheep once again.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=246846

P.S I didn't get to pass on the hiding spot of the bow. I hope some future hunter finds it and uses it well. Preferably not accidentally shoot their own son in the process.

just here putting off doing my assignments

#189 2018-06-04 08:56:18

Mirelli

To my mom Raven-

I was your daughter Neleh, born right next to that iron vein you found at the edge of the desert. We were running very low on iron so I made it my life’s mission to make that iron mine. I noticed I hadn’t seen you in years and as I was bringing the stanchion kit to the pit, I discovered your corpse in the desert. I assume one of those nasty snakes got to you as they almost got me many times. Your backpack and gear aided me well along my journeys. With it, I was able to bring back around 20 iron or more in my lifetime.

I made sure all my kids knew where the mine was, and I even gave birth to a few children beside it. I had them follow me home just like you did with me. I’m sorry I couldn’t see you off from the world but I hope I made you proud in the afterlife. One of the men built a trash sheep pen and compost had been started. I saw some of my granddaughters before I died and passed your backpack along to her. We were doing well and I hope we’ll continue to thrive <3

-Neleh
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=246848

I usually play as Eve Storm. If you’re named Phoenix, Bear, Winter, or Summer, it’s probably me smile

#190 2018-06-04 18:59:32

FounderOne

Dear namless eve mum,

I did it! I was a baby, but i went into warm lands

You starved at the age of 24 infront of a berry bush when I still was a baby. I found a desert tile and waited with banging knees untill I could eat. At the last bar I was able to pick a berry.

You already build a really good farm and oven. I finished your work and gave birth to some babys.

Some of them were weird, other very smart. I think you genes were not the best, but also not the worst.

In my lifetime one of my grand children didnt wanted to life and got a bear out. We manage do make a bow and arrow and then we killed him. I tried to make the rock area next to the berry farm clear of wolfes, unfortunatly I died trying.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=249557

It seems that there was another bear. Well...!

Last edited by FounderOne (2018-06-04 19:01:02)

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#191 2018-06-04 22:41:04

JonySky
Website

Dear brother Patrick Onley, do not worry if you could not finish the cart it was difficult you had to travel far, you were alone and you did not have much life ... but the important thing is that you tried, you did not give up ... I will always be proud of you, you were my younger brother ... but you were a great person for me, just like our sister Sarah Onley I remember you with a lot of love! I hope to see you again in another life...  your Bro! Charles Onley....

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=251357

Last edited by JonySky (2018-06-04 22:42:21)

#192 2018-06-05 05:44:34

Aurora Aurora

To my dearest Hazzel

I’m sorry I wasn’t the husband you wanted, I always knew you deserved someone better. I’m sorry I was a lazy coward who never took you on a date even though I knew how much you wanted to go. I’m sorry I didn’t look up to you like the royalty you were like everyone around us. I’m sorry I never got you nice things like the roses you would so often give to me. I’m sorry I never told you how beautiful I thought you were. I’m sorry for being a horrible father to our children. And I’m most sorry for not being able to protect you like I promised I would.

Love,
Tommy

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#193 2018-06-05 06:57:11

zennyrpg

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=254073

To my daughters Arti, Venus, Calli, and Lolita, sorry I barely said a word to you.  I was just so incredibly stressed with the weight of wanted to build a life for you.  All of you did an excellent job setting up the farm!

To my nameless Eve mother.  Thanks for keeping me.  You ran looking for a place to settle and never found it.  You died in the wasteland carrying me.  But you held on long enough for me to have a fighting chance.

#194 2018-06-05 22:38:28

happynova

To Art, from Sapphire:

Your courtship was sweet, and your gifts, which I deemed "acceptable," pleased me more than I told you.  Sadly, I did not make use of them as well as I should, for I did not carry enough berries in the backpack you so nicely gave me.  I grew hungry.  But I was so young, and the civilization we lived in so sprawling, that I could not quite remember where the berry farm was in time, when I found the wild bushes I had been eating from bare.  Alas, I perished, thinking of you.

If you found my body, I hope you do not grieve too long, and that you find someone else to give the backpack and the lovely sealskin coat to, and live a long and happy life.

#195 2018-06-05 23:06:01

Trick

My mother, Sky, told me I was unwanted the moment I could open my eyes.  She said she was feeling 'generous' and would let me live, but she played with my life as if I were disposable.  When a grizzly started ravaging our town, she suggested using me as an offer of sacrifice.  Thankfully, I was able to escape her torment and began fending for myself.  Unfortunately, my cold-hearted mother was just as callous to my siblings as she was to me, and my unnamed little sister was deeply scorned.

In my early twenties, my Great Uncle Greg went mad from old age and murdered his brother, my namesake, Aaban.  Seeing this murder play out in front of her, my little sister was filled with bloodlust and took it as an opportunity to get revenge against our abusive mother.  She shot our mother with an arrow through the heart.  At first, I was a bit upset - though she was nasty, I had seen some kindness beneathe the rough facade.  After all, I had survived and she had left me alone when I was old enough to fend for myself.  I questioned my little sister, but when she told me of the abuse and neglect she had also suffered at the hands of our mother, I forgave her.

I am not too sure what happened - maybe all the murders scared the children off into the woods, or maybe the grizzly had been all too successful at its feeding frenzy.  Either way, it was only my little sister, my cousin Emma, and me left in the village.  We puttered around, going through the motions for a short while, until we realized that this was the end.  They, the final two women, were no longer having children.  So, we gathered around the berry bushes to reflect on the inevitable end of our lineage.

But then something magical happened.  Both my little sister and my cousin started having babies!  Girls!  Lots of them!  It was incredible!  We had a renewed sense of hope and purpose, and all quickly went back to work.

As I neared my end, I wanted to pass on my wisdom.  I had spent much of my life as the town baker, dutifully preparing succulent pies for my townspeople.  I asked if anyone wanted to be my apprentice, and my niece Chelsea stepped up to the plate (literally and figuratively).  I patiently taught her each step of the process, starting with the wheat and ending with the fillings.  Before I left, I wanted to be sure she knew what a good apprentice she had been.  I hope she carries the knowledge on.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=259599

#196 2018-06-06 01:42:48

Lotus

To King Johnny

I can’t remember my name but I was your knight, teacher, servant, pastor, peasant, and priest. I wed you to your queen who only wanted you for power, and afterwards you gave me your daughter’s hand. We spent a long time chatting, I’d say about twenty years, and we turned out to have very similar personas. You told me to find you on a “crappy pony game” but I don’t have WiFi, so I’ll be sure to do that when I get home from my vacation within a vacation.

Thanks my guy my fry my eye my die. Good experience. Glad to have you as my king, and glad to serve the best damn king there ever was.

From,
I forgot my name

#197 2018-06-06 02:14:53

IronBear

To Hawk, son of Ella

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=261253

Sorry you starved while I was teaching you to hunt rabbits.  I told you to stay and when I returned you were gone and I had to run to food.  I saw you running the other direction out of the corner of my screen and could not stop.  I found your grave later.

I hope you enjoyed learning to hunt rabbits though and it serves you well in the next life. I enjoyed it.  There is rarely any time to teach anything in this game and I loved teaching you.

Love mom

Last edited by IronBear (2018-06-06 02:17:07)

#198 2018-06-06 09:03:36

DrButtCheeks

happynova wrote:

To Art, from Sapphire:

Your courtship was sweet, and your gifts, which I deemed "acceptable," pleased me more than I told you.  Sadly, I did not make use of them as well as I should, for I did not carry enough berries in the backpack you so nicely gave me.  I grew hungry.  But I was so young, and the civilization we lived in so sprawling, that I could not quite remember where the berry farm was in time, when I found the wild bushes I had been eating from bare.  Alas, I perished, thinking of you.

If you found my body, I hope you do not grieve too long, and that you find someone else to give the backpack and the lovely sealskin coat to, and live a long and happy life.

Art had eyes for you since he could feed himself. I was with him when he came across your remains, he didn't take it well to say the least. He buried you with a stone and rose, wanted to mark your grave but neither of us knew how.  -Arts mother Anja

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=259633

#199 2018-06-06 09:13:30

happynova

Poor Art.  It does not look like he lived a long and happy life.  *sniffle*  Thank you for letting me know.  I wish you'd had the chance to become my mother-in-law.  Such a tragic tale...

#200 2018-06-06 10:39:32

lostlandofcarrots

WomanWizard wrote:
lostlandofcarrots wrote:

To the Sun family-

I was your nephew, Dwan! A whole bunch of us lived well enough to die of old age and my nephews were smithing by the end of my life. We had a shovel and I wanted to bury mom's bones, but I couldn't find them anywhere. You two were real troupers and the family thrived despite our griefer grandmother.

Of course, they aren't the Suns anymore since grandma didn't name you guys. That's a shame.

Hello Dwan! Yeah, it's sad the family name was lost after that. Our mother, Nami Sun, actually tried to kill, at least me, as a baby. She went out of her way to travel three screens away from the village, and dump me in a tundra. I only survived because there was a desert there, so I stood on the edge to set my temp to the ideal level, and thus managed to run back to the village, where someone else fed me.

Nami followed me around after that. Maybe she was surprised, and maybe even spiteful, because she interfered with a lot of the things I, in particular, tried doing, haha.

Looking at the family tree, it seems they survived for a while longer, without much killing, and only died off because of a lack of girls. I think it's one of the good ways for a bloodline to end, so I'm happy with that.

Board footer