One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-06-10 04:25:03

lychee

Re: Lychee's Beginner Mega-Walkthrough to OHOL

I finally finished the first real post! XD (takes so long!!)

Spoonwood wrote:

This looks like a good project Lychee and it looks like you're off to a great start.  I wish that the tutorial actually had more areas like the smithing area, so players could get more comfortable with farming and cooking, but I can imagine that it might get argued that such would weaken the 'parenting' aspect of the game.  Anyways, this guide shows a lot of promise and seems good for what it is so far.  And I don't doubt it will take you a good bit of time also.

I agree it would be nice if the tutorial had more sections! I'm not sure if Jason will ever add more (maybe?), but I think it's a very valid point that OHOL's steep learning curve probably chases away a lot of players. I'd love to collect data on this -- although I think Jason has said that tutorial lives are not tracked in the Lifelog, so it's not possible to calculate the attrition rate from the tutorial.

I have calculated general statistics for something like the month of May 2019 -- we see that ~40% of players in the Bigserver2 lifelogs only played a single day in the entire month -- which I think does to some extent reflect the general attrition rate of OHOL's new players.

K2VAyW2.png

Spoonwood wrote:

A while back I made a list of a series of challenges that people could do in the tutorial area (later I thought up more like making a newcomen atmospheric core and trying to make as many buckets as one can... people have made a horsecart also, and I don't doubt other ideas exist or can exist).  Here's that list: https://www.reddit.com/r/onehouronelife … iring_and/ and I hope that adds something to your post.

That's a cool post!

I don't think I will add these to the first lesson in the guide, mostly because I think that many of these topics can be better learned by a beginner on a lowpop server (or playing normally on bs2). In my mind, the challenges are a little bit more of a novelty limited by the fact that it takes ~20-30 minutes for a typical player to break out of the tutorial to begin with, so everything is done with with greater time pressure.

It can also get a little boring to replay the tutorial many times, so I'd like to keep as much variety in the recommendations in the guide -- so new players get as much exposure to different kinds of settings and play-styles.

The walkthrough guide aside, maybe it would be cool if some players regularly tried to set and break various random records. XD IDK who keeps track of this kind of thing though. xD

Last edited by lychee (2019-06-10 04:25:48)

#27 2019-06-10 04:43:24

RodneyC86

Thinking back, I guess it should have been obvious that the whole point is that the parents teach kids to be useful members of society. Still this doesn't explain why a smithing area is made but no farming area

#28 2019-06-10 18:29:52

Spoonwood

For more advanced things, someone set up a custom server with a bunch of challenges.  You can find the relevant information in this video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/434808177

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer