One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#76 2019-06-07 04:52:55

Saolin

Re: Rethinking the player's role in the game

Spoonwood wrote:
futurebird wrote:

He didn't say that having 0 births as eve was griefing he said that Eve's who grief want to have no kids because they get in the way.

You're right that I misread his statement.  Your interpretation seems plausible.  Looking at what gotten written again, I find it strange that the 'unless' lies there.

Saolin wrote:

There isn't close to enough players to support 1000 eves per day.  Unless you're a griefer who wants to have 0 births as eve.

Oh... is what meant something like the following:

"There isn't close enough players to support 1000 eves per day.  Unless you want only griefers who wan to have 0 births as Eve."

Or maybe the 'unless' refers back to the first sentence (which would an unusual grammatical form)

"This is just wrong and you know it, spoonwood.  Unless you're a griefer who wants to have 0 births as eve.  There isn't close to enough players to support 1000 eves per day. "

The number of a 1000 didn't get used by either you or myself futurebird.

Anyways, back to what you said.

You said that families lasting long was an issue.  But, I don't agree that lineage length qualifies as a big concern with respect to the fundamental concepts of parenting and civilization building.  Lineage length is a means to motivate people to engage in constructive play involving the fundamental concepts.  At least that's how I interpret what Jason has written from the following:

jasonrohrer wrote:

The core idea in this game is that you care for your offspring because they are the future that gives what you accomplish in the game meaning.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5806

But lineage length isn't the only means.  Eve chaining exists (technically it exists on bigserver2, but there's a very short time period where it can happen during an update and who knows if anyone who lived to 60 as an Eve logged in within the right time frame... with respect to that I note that a few weeks ago I managed to jump in after quickly using /die on server1 during an update period and got reborn in the same spot where I had died in previous life... soon after the camp was bigger and got griefed by the time I Eve chained back to there... so it's possible to Eve chain on bigserver2 for a very short time period, even if it hasn't happened and is more difficult now).  Thus, lineage length seems only to be an issue in terms of how much people's feel of lineage length on a server motivates people to play constructively to fulfill the fundamental concepts of survival, parenting, and civilization building.

But, there's also the issue of how much parenting and civilization building go on at any time (to what degree are people playing according to the fundamental concepts).  From what I can tell, Eve camps almost invariably have parenting and civilization building go on to an appreciable degree, while it's less certain in later generations, because civilization maintainence comes into play and doesn't exist in an Eve camp.

Really, the number of Eves should only be a problem if

1. They are too likely to be griefer Eves.

2. Eves trying to play constructively aren't having at least one child who will also play in accordance with the fundamental concepts/constructively (note... the child does NOT have to be a girl).

3. Players will stop playing or start griefing, because they can't find anything else and won't play Eve camps.

At least that's my take on it so far.  When do you think the number of Eves should and should not be a problem?

Hmm i didn't realize this post existed at the time of my previous response.   Yes Futurebird accurately communicated to you what i meant.  Now that you've explained what you meant i will admit you have some good points as long as enough children are available to non-griefer eves.

To answer your question:  I think it's too many eves if they're forced to compete directly for resources with each other / nearby towns to the extent that the only realistic option is to join forces or attack (it would always end up in a slaughter at some point anyway), or if they don't get to birth any/enough children to have a chance to build a lineage.  It could be as many as a few kids, as long as those kids are tending to stick around.  I am also not fond of the idea of eves being able to continually re-spawn as a recurring griefer.

Last edited by Saolin (2019-06-07 05:02:58)

Board footer