One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-19 00:00:25

Draicclan

Organization in the village!

Hey, have you ever felt like your village was running in circles not completing anything?! Do you wish people had dedicated jobs such as "Carrot + Wheat Farmer" or "Road Designer"?'

Well, do I have the solution for you... may I present the THRONE.

Players may now build a throne, just like any other mostly permanent object within the town. The throne is somewhat expensive, requiring gold, steel, rare minerals, and wood to complete. However, a player can claim the throne for him/her self, naming themselves the king/queen by saying "I am king" near the throne.

Wait! Don't Go, I promise that this isn't a pointless addition to the game!

Being king is meaningless on its own. After all, a king is for his people. Other players in the village can consent to the kings' rule by going to the throne and taking their oath "Long live the king". This is what the throne is for. Once a player takes the oath, he/she is added to a list that only the king can edit, but any oath-bound player can view.

The list would look something like this:

Name:               Job:
Mary Boot          Not assigned
John Boot          Berry Farmer
Joe Smith          Diesel Engine
Emily Boot         Doctor + Guard (grief prevention force)

As you can see, the king is able to traverse the list and give a "job" to those who have submitted themselves to the throne. I believe this would, not only increase the role-play aspects we all enjoy within the game but allow one player to provide true direction to the rest of the town. The throne is voluntary and those who wish to do their own thing would not be hindered in any way. I believe this would provide an interesting new dynamic to the game at best, and at worst, just be another ignored item (though I firmly believe it would be utilized once constructed).

Thank you for reading through my crazy idea! Feel free to tell me what you think, would you use such an item if it was added to the game?

#2 2019-05-19 01:19:20

RodneyC86

Re: Organization in the village!

So basically a person armed with a duty roster, which may or may not be obeyed . It'd be hectic,Aube worth it, but if compliance is poor it's pointless. Maybe some executioners can change that

#3 2019-05-19 01:27:33

RodneyC86

It may be interesting though. A group of thugs, all wielding their own knives, forcing the populace to obey, otherwise stabby stab. Living under a tyranny would be a nice change from unbridled freedom.

#4 2019-05-19 01:28:28

Spoonwood

It would just lead to kus and more inter-family murder.  So such is not for a game that is supposed to be about playing for the sake of your family.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-05-19 01:29:53

Spoonwood

RodneyC86 wrote:

It may be interesting though. A group of thugs, all wielding their own knives, forcing the populace to obey, otherwise stabby stab. Living under a tyranny would be a nice change from unbridled freedom.

Yea... because tyranny and oppression is what the world longs for *rolls eyes*.

Danish Clinch.

#6 2019-05-19 01:35:44

RodneyC86

Spoonwood wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

No one said you can't fight your way out. Imagine the stories that can be told. Resistance members covertly stashing materials to Smith weapons. Makes a cool story.

I'm not a fascist tyranny dictator IRL , don't worry. One can't deny it has happened before , and living under one in game would be an interesting change of pace.

#7 2019-05-19 02:03:30

DestinyCall

RodneyC86 wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

No one said you can't fight your way out. Imagine the stories that can be told. Resistance members covertly stashing materials to Smith weapons. Makes a cool story.

I'm not a fascist tyranny dictator IRL , don't worry. One can't deny it has happened before , and living under one in game would be an interesting change of pace.

For about five minutes maybe.    I'm betting it would get old very fast.   Dictatorships are fun when you are the dictator, but a lot less fun for everyone else.

Instead of a throne and a "king", why not just make a village job board?   Anyone can walk up and post their current job, profession, or project.   You could go check the job board to see who is currently doing what jobs at a glance.   Ideally, the job board would also list each job holders current age and if they are dead or alive.   This would let people coordinate and train successors for multi-generational projects more easily and let people know when the village baker dies of old age.

#8 2019-05-19 02:14:14

RodneyC86

DestinyCall wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

For about five minutes maybe.    I'm betting it would get old very fast.   Dictatorships are fun when you are the dictator, but a lot less fun for everyone else.

Instead of a throne and a "king", why not just make a village job board?   Anyone can walk up and post their current job, profession, or project.   You could go check the job board to see who is currently doing what jobs at a glance.   Ideally, the job board would also list each job holders current age and if they are dead or alive.   This would let people coordinate and train successors for multi-generational projects more easily and let people know when the village baker dies of old age.

That's also a good idea.

With regards to tyranny, to be honest , it won't last. Lives are too cheap in a game and anyone would gladly join the resistance to overthrow a king, and for this reason paradoxically I think joining the oppressed is more fun.

I like that games always have these options open though.

#9 2019-05-19 03:36:04

Spoonwood

RodneyC86 wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

That's also a good idea.

With regards to tyranny, to be honest , it won't last. Lives are too cheap in a game and anyone would gladly join the resistance to overthrow a king, and for this reason paradoxically I think joining the oppressed is more fun.

Alright, so you'd rather join the revolution against the oppressive SOB, right?  Well, then you wouldn't want to live under a tyranny.  Hence my original sarcastic comment about the world longing for tyranny and oppression.  I mean, you aren't longing *to live* under that tyranny.  You just want to be a revolutionary who successfully dethrones an oppressive tyrant.  That's different than *living* under a tyranny where you accept your oppression like a willing slave (a very rare thing for people to do), or you are forced to be a slave.  Fighting against a tyranny resists living under one.

Danish Clinch.

#10 2019-05-19 03:43:10

pein

so basically a list of all people you need to kill to make a working city big_smile

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2019-05-19 03:51:13

RodneyC86

Spoonwood wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

That's also a good idea.

Alright, so you'd rather join the revolution against the oppressive SOB, right?  Well, then you wouldn't want to live under a tyranny.  Hence my original sarcastic comment about the world longing for tyranny and oppression.  I mean, you aren't longing *to live* under that tyranny.  You just want to be a revolutionary who successfully dethrones an oppressive tyrant.  That's different than *living* under a tyranny where you accept your oppression like a willing slave (a very rare thing for people to do), or you are forced to be a slave.  Fighting against a tyranny resists living under one.

Yeah of course. That is interesting drama that can unfold in that. As I said, I do t expect a tyranny to last in these kind of games but that life would be fun. Authoritarians Vs Libertarians.

Certainly more interesting than griefers who have no motive other than personal pleasure from seeing other people suffer . Tyrants and dictators have motives beyond that , sometimes they even think their strict organisation is the way for the town and civilization to move forward. Imagine they kill all loafers, RPers, and people who basically don't add to their production machinery.

Spoonwood, I'm probably not only speaking for myself that you're a boring idealistic straight-laced person. Also at this point I think you're harassing Jason to move things your way or the highway.

Oh wait, that makes you a dictator doesn't it?

#12 2019-05-19 12:21:08

Solbusaur

Yeah but I prefer being a jack of all trades each life. I make a bit of compost, a few clothes, maybe hunt and forge a bit

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#13 2019-05-19 16:19:20

Draicclan

To address some of the things I've been seeing:

* The true purpose of the throne would be to organically provide clear direction to the village. Feel free to come up with different ideas that accomplish this same goal. I know someone suggested a board, that's great, how would you implement that into the game? If calling the "boss" of the village a king seems like it will cause too many issues, how about renaming it to Shaman or something along those lines?

1. Players who prefer to do their own thing would (most of the time) not be hindered by the throne. Only those who wish for direction would be given it, after taking the oath. How many times have you had your children BEG for a job or you've been uselessly walking around the town not knowing what to do.

2. Like any change to the game, it could end in disaster. I believe the king would definitely find himself at risk of being assassinated. However, people would get tired of going after the king over and over, and this provides more reason to have dedicated guards in the village. Think about all the different stories that could be made! Murder is already an issue, happening in almost every life I have anyways. I don't think this would make it much worse.

3. I don't expect this to actually be implemented. At least not exactly how I described it. Maybe this will inspire something down the line though, I know I've seen Jason on the forums talking about ways to spice up even one more of your lives and mentioning leadership a couple of times. I believe the rulership system would be a step towards that goal. In fact, not every town is going to have a throne anyways. They WOULD require a decent amount of resources to make. If balanced correctly, you won't have to spend every life rebelling wink

#14 2019-05-20 00:00:36

Cookie

I would like for players to have assigned jobs (that they agreed to of course) but the main problem I see is unwillingness and lack of communication. So many times the minute I fire the forge someone grabs the tongs or the smithing hammer without having talked to me first and end up making a third file while we have no shovels.

#15 2019-05-20 01:35:40

Spoonwood

RodneyC86 wrote:

No, I'd have to have subjects to be a dictator.  I would have to have political power.

Danish Clinch.

#16 2019-05-20 01:53:31

Peaches

I love the idea, nobody's forced to build it and nobody's forced to obey it (unless, of course, a king ends up with bodyguards)
It hurts nothing to add it to the game, just to see what would happen

The Frank to your Cleopatra

#17 2019-05-20 02:49:31

TheNoddude

Maybe a "jobs board" would be better? Can write which tasks needs to be done and leaves a "- you name" after so everyone can see who wrote it. Task disappears after 10 min.

#18 2019-05-20 05:08:23

antking:]#

I think that what we need is a clip board

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#19 2019-05-20 07:13:40

testo

Not a bad idea, terrible implementation thou.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#20 2019-05-22 00:13:10

Draicclan

testo wrote:

Not a bad idea, terrible implementation thou.

Yeah, I'm no game developer. Let's look forward to something along these lines in the future though!

#21 2019-05-22 00:16:02

Draicclan

TheNoddude wrote:

Maybe a "jobs board" would be better? Can write which tasks needs to be done and leaves a "- you name" after so everyone can see who wrote it. Task disappears after 10 min.

I actually really love this idea. We could also place a job board next to a smithy and make requests for tools as well. No more having to smith hoes when I'm busy making compost!

It could have a double function, general job board and serve as a way to communicate with people holding a specific job in the town! Again, a great contribution!

#22 2019-05-22 02:07:16

RodneyC86

Spoonwood wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

No, I'd have to have subjects to be a dictator.  I would have to have political power.

Thank goodness you don't

Board footer