One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-05-18 05:26:59

BlueDiamondAvatar

Re: Jason's Vision

jasonrohrer wrote:

People from different parts of the world speak different languages and look different.  That is exactly what "diversity" means.

I'm still thinking about how this will shake out long term, and maybe even thinking about marriage and other things (though they are very complicated to get right).

Personally, I like the language features in the update, and the way you tweaked them to be learn-able through age six.  i don't have a problem with the game getting language diversity as well as ethnic diversity.

I'm much more concerned about the combination of families suddenly being racially pure, because you eliminated variation in model skin tones, and people have a way to slaughter non-family members that is so OP.  From what I've experienced of this update's meta - this is what makes it impossible for multiple races to share a town.

Saw the bow precision, the recipe modification for the sword, and the cooldown updates.  I think all of those are good steps. 

IMHO, There have been some good discussions of marriage and adoption on the forums, especially recent ones led by futurebird.  Hope you'll take a look at that resource as you consider your options.

Best,
Blue Diamond

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#27 2019-05-18 06:50:45

CatX

Buggy wrote:

If there were some things in game that could only be built inside that may help. Like an electric stove ,space heater , or a baby bed that would keep infants at the perfect temperature if it was indoors. Things that wouldn't work outdoors that would improve our lives if we built them.

I like this.

And I like the "usefulness"-approach overall.

How to make dogs useful:
When given the command "find axe", they run in front of you to the nearest axe. Extremely useful.

How to make walls useful:
A shelf that has to be placed on a wall.

How to make doors useful:
Springy doors open automatically, and the pathfinding is not aware of them at all, but finds the way through a closed springy door.

How to make civilization useful:
Civilization is not only needed to survive, it makes surviving easier. Like in Stardew Valley, when upgrading your tools and building sprinklers make farming a lot easier.

Cameras are fun. I suspect they might be in use more if it was easier to find the ingredients for photo paper. My sister showed me how to use it in one life, I spent my whole life searching for electrum, we took a few pictures, and I've never used the camera again.

When it comes to the fun things in general, we will do them if and only if we have an abundance of food and clothes. In an abundant town where we don't risk starving to death (or be killed by random griefers whether insiders or outsiders), we are free to play around with the non-useful toys. But that requires that at some point in the tech level, surviving is no longer the main challenge. When the town is always at the risk of dying, there's no time for hobbies.

As for races, even though I see the value of having different families of one race only, it still does tingle my 'political correctness' sense. It seems a little off in 2019 to implement something like this. Now I don't think anyone should be limited by political correctness, but at least be aware why this might be an issue and seem of poor taste to some.

A solution, which I don't think is a good solution, is to let families start giving birth to different skin colors than their own if they are exposed to other families of that race. But it can perhaps seem a little "rapey", another political correctness issue...

Personally I'm fine with how it is, I would be fine with a change like this, and I was fine with how it used to be.

#28 2019-05-18 07:00:44

DestinyCall

CatX wrote:

How to make doors useful:
Springy doors open automatically, and the pathfinding is not aware of them at all, but finds the way through a closed springy door.

YESSSS!@@@

#29 2019-05-18 11:25:11

mrbah

Hey Jason, thanks for answering.

I have seen the trailer (and was a bit dissapointed to find out that some items of the trailer are ahead of the tech we have in the game, I also took the sentence "staying one step ahead of the players" too literaly, thinking that your plan was to always have items the players have not achieved yet)
It does not tell me if you want to single thread civilisations (oven-bushes, fire-rabbit,bellows-steel tools) or be able to sidegrade (in some countries the majority of the population lived nomadic sheperds and whatnot until 60 years ago)
There is out of design or programming-convenience often only one way to do something, when (using real life logic) a lot of other ways would achieve the same thing.
Ultimately it causes every civilisation in the game to look similar. That's the "flaw" I am currently seeing, in real life, towns are radically different, because they have different cultures, because they have different geography, because they have different industry.
This was the case for hundreds of years, not every town needed silver, it was sufficient when one town in the kingdom had silver from which to mint coins for the entire kingdom.
There is a critical path to survival and it allows for very little compensation. When the eve can't find a rabbit, she will never be able to do iron tools, even if you have sheep already.

I realize that creating dozends of different viable alternatives are out of the scope of a weekly update,  but ultimately, the only thing making towns distinct is the amount of replenishing ressources (ponds, oil, wild gooseberry bushes, rabbits) and the actions of the players (building houses or fences).

Board footer