One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-05-14 15:36:46

Tarr
Banned

Re: Swords...... Aren't as bad.

Dodge wrote:

Having a stagger would make wars unviable, dont forget when you go at war with another village you are on their territory, if there is stagger they could easily kill the invaders then heal wounded people with their supplies.

Armor and shield is only garbage because of the way you think it would work, but what if when someone hits an armor both players get slow for 10 seconds and the sword is unusable for a period of time, it would give time for others to kill one of the person they want to kill (invader) and the person attacked could run to safety while both are slow, could be a one time usage repairable.

Just an example, maybe not the best, but an armor is not necessarly shit it only depends on what it would do.

Obviously the whole safe area has to be surrounded by fences or ancient walls...

Stagger definitely doesn't make war unviable. You can just chuck down a bloody sword and pull out a knife to protect the sword on the ground. I don't even know why the fuck you would send more than one person to conqueror another village because right now you don't need more than one person and that's problematic. The lone attacker shouldn't have the advantage against a full town of armed people but you know what? They 100% have complete advantage due to how the mechanic works right now. Sure towns can heal people but you can stab six people in the same time it takes for them to be able to even prep more pads. Adding 10 seconds of stagger with the ability to chuck the sword and protect it with a knife makes more sense than this running in circles simulator.

So you're suggesting murder stagger because you wear armor but not because you injure someone? Doesn't that sort of seem dumb? You're specifically saying "hey you get slowed because you wear armor and get hit/hit someone" but not for actually you know hitting a random in the first place. Armor/shields is just convoluted and you should just get 10 seconds of murder cooldown with the option to drop and draw a second weapon.

And no, that's a pretty shit idea considering we already have something like that slow for both players and that's when you get stabbed and stab someone.

fug it’s Tarr.

#27 2019-05-14 16:14:42

Buggy

If we assume most people don't like to be murdered. Every death  someone causes in game is fun for the person killing and bad for the person killed. Some people enjoy protecting their family and fighting against these murderers so they will have fun if conflict starts. Therefore if in game one murder happens and you catch the murderer that is one person having a bad time to two people having fun so it is good for the game overall. However if someone is able to kill five people before someone stops them that is tipping the balance to the negative.
If people rarely use swords or they turn out to be bad that is the best case scenario. Tarr seems to be able to do pretty well with them though lol.

#28 2019-05-14 16:24:07

lychee

I also think it takes a little bit of practice to get good at swords -- which means that the people who are best at swords are people who have killed the most with them.

So there's sort of a contradiction of the concept of a "peaceful swordwielder" because 9 times out to 10, the raider will be better at the click meta than the peaceful civilian.

And if a "peaceful civilian" wants to get gud at swords... and I guess the best option is to go raiding yourself, right?

#29 2019-05-14 16:29:41

Dodge

Tarr wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Having a stagger would make wars unviable, dont forget when you go at war with another village you are on their territory, if there is stagger they could easily kill the invaders then heal wounded people with their supplies.

Armor and shield is only garbage because of the way you think it would work, but what if when someone hits an armor both players get slow for 10 seconds and the sword is unusable for a period of time, it would give time for others to kill one of the person they want to kill (invader) and the person attacked could run to safety while both are slow, could be a one time usage repairable.

Just an example, maybe not the best, but an armor is not necessarly shit it only depends on what it would do.

Obviously the whole safe area has to be surrounded by fences or ancient walls...

Stagger definitely doesn't make war unviable. You can just chuck down a bloody sword and pull out a knife to protect the sword on the ground. I don't even know why the fuck you would send more than one person to conqueror another village because right now you don't need more than one person and that's problematic. The lone attacker shouldn't have the advantage against a full town of armed people but you know what? They 100% have complete advantage due to how the mechanic works right now. Sure towns can heal people but you can stab six people in the same time it takes for them to be able to even prep more pads. Adding 10 seconds of stagger with the ability to chuck the sword and protect it with a knife makes more sense than this running in circles simulator.

So you're suggesting murder stagger because you wear armor but not because you injure someone? Doesn't that sort of seem dumb? You're specifically saying "hey you get slowed because you wear armor and get hit/hit someone" but not for actually you know hitting a random in the first place. Armor/shields is just convoluted and you should just get 10 seconds of murder cooldown with the option to drop and draw a second weapon.

And no, that's a pretty shit idea considering we already have something like that slow for both players and that's when you get stabbed and stab someone.

So you drop the sword pull out the knife then stab someone and get an even longer stagger? Seems good....

Why wouldnt one knight with a sword not have an advantage over peasants and unarmed villagers?

Also no if the villager is armed with either a bow or knife he as no disadvantage over a lone attacker, it's the one stabing first that wins.

Maybe you're right about the part where you can just stab someone with the sword drop it and take a knife, maybe you shouldnt be able to drop the bloody sword so you would have to be careful about your food before attacking, but definitly not getting slowed down 10 seconds after stabing someone with the sword.

Because instead of using a knife like you say, you could take 3 steel rods and a hammer in your backpack and just turn them into sword or rods whenever you want wink

Drop the bloody sword, take a rod hit it with hammer and you got a new sword  tongue

The armor was just a quick example but basically if you wear one and someone stabs/shoots you both the attacker and victim are slowed down so villagers have a chance to kill invader while he is slow and victim can run in a safe place.

And if the invader has one then first hit would get both slow then would require a second it either by someone else while invader is slow or by same person after the slowdown period.

#30 2019-05-14 16:46:31

Tarr
Banned

Dodge wrote:

So you drop the sword pull out the knife then stab someone and get an even longer stagger? Seems good....

Why wouldnt one knight with a sword not have an advantage over peasants and unarmed villagers?

Also no if the villager is armed with either a bow or knife he as no disadvantage over a lone attacker, it's the one stabing first that wins.

Maybe you're right about the part where you can just stab someone with the sword drop it and take a knife, maybe you shouldnt be able to drop the bloody sword so you would have to be careful about your food before attacking, but definitly not getting slowed down 10 seconds after stabing someone with the sword.

Because instead of using a knife like you say, you could take 3 steel rods and a hammer in your backpack and just turn them into sword or rods whenever you want wink

Drop the bloody sword, take a rod hit it with hammer and you got a new sword  tongue

The armor was just a quick example but basically if you wear one and someone stabs/shoots you both the attacker and victim are slowed down so villagers have a chance to kill invader while he is slow and victim can run in a safe place.

And if the invader has one then first hit would get both slow then would require a second it either by someone else while invader is slow or by same person after the slowdown period.

Because having a drawback is supposed to enforce the idea of a band of raiders working together and not a one man army sort of thing like we have now. You either choose to hold the sword and go slow (thus risking getting stabbed) or swap weapons to be able to defend yourself properly. I'd say just have your friends protect you in slowdown but you can literally just click and run at max speed thus making it moot to have anyone defend yourself.

A lone attacker has the ability to snipe a bunch of unarmed people with zero consequence in the current system as you can just run by, click someone, run off without any penalty what so ever. The lone attacker with a sword has much higher advantage at killing than anyone else armed in the city as he can easily pick off whatever target he wants. The town has one target who they have to chase and unless the swordsman is specifically trying to stab armed people he isn't in any actual danger.

Now that you've brought it up he probably should remove rods from being containable as it's a way to sneak swords into a place without alerting anyone to the situation. Stealth swords were dumb because they're almost not visible in shorts and like knives some of the models could completely hide a sword in their hair.

You would have to give EVERYONE in the village armor and disregard clothes otherwise instead of picking fights with the people with weapons they would kill all the normally dressed players. There's zero risk what so ever to target the unarmored and unarmed as you can just bolt away after every attack. Basically every noob without armor is 100% dead any time anyone with a sword would come around to town.

fug it’s Tarr.

#31 2019-05-14 16:58:04

Dodge

Tarr wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Because having a drawback is supposed to enforce the idea of a band of raiders working together and not a one man army sort of thing like we have now. You either choose to hold the sword and go slow (thus risking getting stabbed) or swap weapons to be able to defend yourself properly. I'd say just have your friends protect you in slowdown but you can literally just click and run at max speed thus making it moot to have anyone defend yourself.

A lone attacker has the ability to snipe a bunch of unarmed people with zero consequence in the current system as you can just run by, click someone, run off without any penalty what so ever. The lone attacker with a sword has much higher advantage at killing than anyone else armed in the city as he can easily pick off whatever target he wants. The town has one target who they have to chase and unless the swordsman is specifically trying to stab armed people he isn't in any actual danger.

Now that you've brought it up he probably should remove rods from being containable as it's a way to sneak swords into a place without alerting anyone to the situation. Stealth swords were dumb because they're almost not visible in shorts and like knives some of the models could completely hide a sword in their hair.

You would have to give EVERYONE in the village armor and disregard clothes otherwise instead of picking fights with the people with weapons they would kill all the normally dressed players. There's zero risk what so ever to target the unarmored and unarmed as you can just bolt away after every attack. Basically every noob without armor is 100% dead any time anyone with a sword would come around to town.

Yes that's exactly my point someone with a sword should definitly have a killing advantage over several unarmed villagers

I still dont see how an attacker with a sword has an advantage over a villager with a knife or bow, you click = you kill first one who clicks other first kills the other. Sword doesn'tmake you faster or protect you from knives and bows.

No just give the armor to important villagers (fertile womans and maybe the guards), why couldnt you wear clothes under the armor?

Were knights naked under theirs? tongue

#32 2019-05-14 17:01:36

Dodge

And instead of making the rods not containable it would be better imo that to make a sword you need to use the hammer on a hot rod, even better a hot rod on a flat rock with the hammer.

Makes no sense turning cold steel into a sword (unless you can do that to steel irl but i dont think so)

#33 2019-05-14 20:48:15

Tarr
Banned

As stated before the only defense against a sword is running around like a chicken. You can't gain speed on someone running unless running along a diagonal or running on a road. People aren't going to "git gud" in these situations, all it does is make the stabbed party get upset that some random person is clearing out there village and they have no real way to fight back.

u9NGfLp.png
Yq80NSU.png
nruTKBE.png
gPi7NME.png

This shit isn't balanced and anytime someone pulls a knife on me history repeats itself. The only time I've been killed doing this is when my own son ambushed me because he was one of the players I had killed. I've even raised children while doing this sort of thing. It's not balanced, and it's ridiculous that Jason thought this was a good idea.

fug it’s Tarr.

#34 2019-05-14 21:06:50

MultiLife

Would be nice to disarm people with tools.
Won't fix the magical sword, I'd still rather remove that, but yeah. Irl we can grab anything to defend ourselves with. Sharp rock, stones, bats, nightsticks, boiling water...

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#35 2019-05-14 21:38:27

The_Anabaptist

Yup.  Just got to experience the new darker game for the first time as I haven't previous run into another non-speaking group since the update. 

Born to an immigrant black mother?  Although I think she claimed we were the indigenous people?  Rest of the population was white and no relation (Su family)  I grew up.  I went out and gathered a big pile of firewood to show that I was helpful.  Then I took an unused rabbit snare and filled a basket with rabbits.  Returned to town and was unloading them in front of a group of people when an elder woman (Jesse Su) decided to war sword me.  Nobody lifted a finger to try and medicate me or curse Jesse.  I was just a dirty little girl to them all.  I was young enough that I couldn't even curse Jesse if I had wanted to.

I no longer consider this a "fun" game.  This game might as well be labeled a training tool to radicalize the youthful players into thinking hate is acceptable.

The_Anabaptist

#36 2019-05-16 18:24:33

Tarr
Banned

Jason: "Just use fences and walls and that'll fix the problem."

Reality:
d1Fb41U.jpg

fug it’s Tarr.

#37 2019-05-16 19:28:03

Booklat1