One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#76 2019-12-15 18:30:37

Spoonwood

Re: Other off-the-wall ideas for "making you really care"?

DestinyCall wrote:

The first leader is the Eve.

If a young woman unfollows her mother who is an Eve, that perhaps would make for a logical method by which a new family line could get created (though working this out in the family tree mechanics might be another story... I don't know the code).  As I think you know, "Baby Eveing", where a child of an Eve basically functions as an Eve, starting early in life when her mother dies by natural means, has been a thing.  If a new family line were to get created this way, it would enable players who have been baby Eves to get as much recognition as Eves have had.  At least, if baby Eveing is still happening.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#77 2019-12-15 18:41:38

Melea

DestinyCall wrote:

Re-reading this thread makes me realize that the recent update really should change so you automatically follow your MOTHER, not your mother's leader.  ...  I think this would be a small but powerful change.    Everyone should automatically follow their MOTHER.  Not their mother's leader.   The first leader is the Eve.

Oh, this sounds like an excellent idea!

#78 2019-12-15 19:49:13

arkajalka

Melea wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Re-reading this thread makes me realize that the recent update really should change so you automatically follow your MOTHER, not your mother's leader.  ...  I think this would be a small but powerful change.    Everyone should automatically follow their MOTHER.  Not their mother's leader.   The first leader is the Eve.

Oh, this sounds like an excellent idea!

hate to bump this necro thread again, but...

+1

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#79 2019-12-15 20:09:54

Lava

I love this idea!! Because then, by default you will support your mothers leader and also it will create large hierarchies.

Last edited by Lava (2019-12-15 20:10:26)

#80 2019-12-15 21:48:09

jcwilk

DestinyCall wrote:

Re-reading this thread makes me realize that the recent update really should change so you automatically follow your MOTHER, not your mother's leader.

It would work thematically (your interactions are with your mother and you can't pick a different leader until you are an adult)  and it provides a real in-game reason for mothers to care about their own children more than other people's kids.    By treating your kids properly and proving that you can be trusted, they might continue to follow you as an adult.   If your daughters follow you, then their children will become your subordinates as well, raising your rank.    If your daughters hate you, you will not rise up the hierarchy, because they will follow themselves or choose someone else when they get older.

It also helps to spread out the hierarchy so it doesn't get too "flat" with everyone under the same leader and naturally elevates the village elders into a position of authority over time, as more children are born in the village.   It creates a natural matriarchy, with the oldest women rising toward the top of the hierarchy.  But only if they have been successful mothers who raised other players to also be good mothers.   A woman who has no children would gain no automatic followers.   A bad mother would lose the respect of her children and they would quickly leave her following.   A low ranked old woman was either infertile ... or a really shitty mom.   Men would naturally rank lower than women.   No surprise - this is an OHOL village, after all.   Reproductive power is the strongest force.

However, a man (or infertile woman) could rise up the ranks by gathering his own following or proving his worth through good deeds.  It would be harder to achieve a high rank for a man, because you wouldn't get any "free" followers just by popping out sky babies.   But you also have more time to focus on productive work and political campaigns.   In fact, if you focus your efforts on getting young WOMEN to follow you, then you will gain the benefit of their reproductive status AND a vested interest in their reproductive success.  Their children become your subordinates too.

I think this would be a small but powerful change.    Everyone should automatically follow their MOTHER.  Not their mother's leader.   The first leader is the Eve.

I strongly agree with this and think that the consequence of happenstance countesses is an empty concern. I played a few lives since this new feature and the only time I ever saw badges is when i nagged people to try it, and then there would be a bit of momentum after that but if everyone was in trees automatically it would be way different.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll be more open to this when it flops without it I guess

Board footer