One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-03-23 03:20:42

futurebird

Re: I tried yumming "seriously" and it made a big difference!

As a stew maker, if you eat a raw corn or make popcorn please plant a corn plant and water it. Just keep it moving.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#27 2019-03-23 04:07:54

Spoonwood

Booklat1 wrote:

its not to bash on potatoes, I'd genuinely like them to be good again, it DOES feel great to have one in my bag, but they cost so so much.

And its not like im against yum either, which is why i keep suggesting corn 5 yum combo.

I agree that corn has a lot of strong uses.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#28 2019-03-23 04:09:17

DestinyCall

Thaulos wrote:

Funny how whenever someone mentions yumming, potatoes are immediately mentioned.

Strawman anyone?

Potatoes get mentioned because they are one of the few foods that provide two yum bonuses from the same food and the only double-yum bonus foods that can be stowed in a pack for portability   They are also a "low pip value" food, so you can eat two bites of potato and some other small food to raise your yum rapidly or get three yum bonuses in a row before heading out on a journey.   When looked at purely from a yum-perspective, potatoes are amazing.   Unfortunately, potatoes are pretty lame when looked at from a food efficiency perspective, since they have the highest iron consumption of any food and their low pip value means that you don't get much total food value from a single row of potatoes. 

Someone who values yum above all else will love the potato.  Someone who values efficiency above all else will hate the potato.   It is a difference in priorities, not a strawman argument.

#29 2019-03-23 04:18:06

Thaulos

(Almost) no yummer plants potatoes! No one cares about potatoes!

They are just a convenient strawman to go against yumming.

#30 2019-03-23 05:17:06

DestinyCall

Thaulos wrote:

Some yummers would disgree with your low opinion of the potato.   

Spoonwood wrote:

Potatoes can help children when young and out in the wild, so a mom planning to raise a child out in the wild might want a potato.

Love your child.  Hug a potato.

#31 2019-03-23 14:38:57

Booklat1

DestinyCall wrote:
Thaulos wrote:

Some yummers would disgree with your low opinion of the potato.   

Spoonwood wrote:

Potatoes can help children when young and out in the wild, so a mom planning to raise a child out in the wild might want a potato.

Love your child.  Hug a potato.

ty, idk how it could be a strawman when i was directly responding Spoon, who likes potatoes.

It's not just potatoes, any food that needs all bites eaten at high yums to have high food values are not great.
Thats carrots and beans too. Usually raw corn is awful, but comboing shouldnt be so bad in a pinch. In fact, if you're the last girl do eat whatever, any yum kinda helps, but if we want to raise towns' yums fast there's good and bad options.

#32 2019-03-23 18:56:32

fragilityh14

mric wrote:

If you put 3 pies in your backpack then go to work.
Do you spent less or more time on work than if you take time to up your yum?

I think yum is helpfull when conditions are scarce but in a developed town I think it is not.

carrying three pies has a big opportunity cost, in that you have a backpack but only have one available slot in it. So you probably spend more time hauling shit back and forth due to lack of backpack space.

also in an advanced town seriously there are almost always enough foods around that getting to 8-10 isn't inconvenient at all.

I didn't really follow spoonwoods point about how that story shows potatoes are good though.

Regarding potatoes my main point remains if someone else has already grown them and one is sitting on the ground, the least wasteful use is someone with a good yum chain.

It is seriously the optimal thing here: don't personally make foods that are wasteful, but consume ones you see as part of a yum chain.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#33 2019-03-23 19:09:12

Booklat1

fragilityh14 wrote:

It is seriously the optimal thing here: don't personally make foods that are wasteful, but consume ones you see as part of a yum chain.

except carrots post-sheep

#34 2019-03-23 20:32:15

DestinyCall

Let's talk pies in backpacks.   

Unless you are headed out on an epic journey (going to a bell tower, starting an outpost colony, leaving the village to live as a rabbit hunting hermit), you only need one full pie in your backpack.   Three pies is overkill for normal business, because you should be back in town before the first pie runs out.

So let's look at one pie in your backpack compared with yum-foods in backpack.  One whole mutton pie has four bites, each worth 15 pips and the pie takes up one slot in your pack.  That is 60 pips, spread over four meals.  If you wait until your hunger is down to four or five pips, the mutton pie will almost completely refill your hunger bar four times before running out, assuming you are a healthy adult with a full 20 pip bar.   

Now consider if instead of bring a pie, you bring yum foods.   Each unique bite gives the base value of the food, plus a yum bonus.  But each unique food also fills a slot in your backpack until it is eaten.  Let's say you have +12 yum chain going when you leave the village and you put three yum foods in your pack - cooked rabbit (10 pip), bean burrito (19 pip) and a piece of bread (8 pip).   After eating the rabbit, you get 10+13 = 23 pips.  After eating the burrito, you get 19+14 =33 pips.  And after eating the bread you get 8+15 = 23 pips.   The total food recieved is 79pips.  So you ate three times and recieved as much food as you could get from eating five bites of pie.   With an even higher yum chain the difference gets even more dramatic (although harder to maintain).  However, these foods took up more space in your pack and without the high yum chain, they would only give (7+19+8)=34 pips compared to the pies 60 pips in one slot.

Which is better?   It really depends on your situation.   If you have a high yum chain and there are available, portable yum foods around, you might get more "bang for your buck" by filling your pack and riding the yum train as long as you can.    But if your chain is less than ten and unique portable edibles are in short supply, the mutton pie will always be there for you - pip dense and ready to eat.

Lastly ... if you ARE setting out on an epic journey, you can fit up to four yum foods in your bag.   Make them variety pies for maximum effect.  Gain as much yum as you can from wild foods, then fall back on the remaining pies.   You will die of old age or animal bites, with a backpack stuffed with pies.  Although, to be honest, you will rarely run short on food in the untouched wilderness while wearing a backpack, regardless of your yum bonus, unless you are very young, very old, or very unlucky.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-03-23 22:31:49)

#35 2019-03-23 22:05:51

futurebird

If you are on a trip a sharp stone is almost better than a pie, just grab wild food as you go, once out of the radius of a town there is tons to eat. When I bring a pie I often bring it back un-eaten. Two pies is just nuts. The only exception is if you are on a horse, then a pie helps reduce stopping and saves a little time. But two pies? sheesh...

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#36 2019-03-23 22:35:56

DestinyCall

Except you can't eat a sharp stone if you run low on food while passing through a large tundra, swamp, or badlands.    Whether or not you plan on yumming while traveling, a full pie in your backpack is always a good investment.   Just make sure it is a new flavor, if you care about the yum.   The pie gives a lot more food than ANY single yum item can possibly give you and, after the first bite, it can act as emergency food, in case you run into trouble.

Board footer