One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-03-14 17:30:46

Booklat1

Re: Top 7 Reasons the Area Ban needs to be Fixed

Tarr wrote:

It's just a game of cat and mouse at this point where you "fix" something and we go around it in one way or another. All you ended up doing was bothering normal players and the people targeted by the area ban effect just go around it.

Its particularly bad after another big change like heat overhaul. Those changes opened a lot of space to improve content that currently has little use like buildings. It seems like changing spawn mechanics will cause all this to get dropped for a while.

This reminds me of iron nerf and pump updates, both very needed updates that made the game closer to the "no steady states" philosophy, but had the consequence of making the game economy more unidimensional.

#27 2019-03-14 17:53:50

fragilityh14

I'm on the side of keeping the area ban and making it smaller, this is arbitrary, but 2x Eve spiral distance seems right to me, [so, i believe 500 tiles]

i don't have any good way of measuring, as home markers don't show distance until 1k, but i believe when i run away to start a new village, 500 that's is roughly how far i travel most of the time.

In my recent iron expeditions, i've seen 2 live villages and 1 dead one. Granted, one live village I think was still less than 500 tiles, it was directly south, so i believe it was actually the circle have gone all the way around again, improbably enough. Another time, i found a civ that was relatively new but doing pretty damn well, a good distance northeast. Another time i found a dead civ with good iron stocks. All of these were well under 2k tiles.

in none of these instances were the tribes away of eachother. And obviously, the intention of the area ban is not to people from one of these tribes from being born into the other one, if they are not in contact.

Even with the low Eve survival rates, a 4000 tile diameter is enormous, a huge number of total Eves get placed in that...

All of this is predicated on the idea that i'm correct that Eve distance is 250 and area ban is 2k.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#28 2019-03-14 19:12:23

ryanb
Website

Looks like the area ban only applies to the birth location. I suggest shrinking it down to 200 tiles and basing it on both birth and death locations.

This solves the situation where a mother is scavenging away from town, has a baby, then returns and the child grows old and dies. It would also prevent someone who sets up a new outpost village beyond the area ban from returning to either village.

While your at it, consider raise the starting spiral radius when a server restarts so the initial eves don't spawn so close. I have spawned in a village after a server restart with a half dozen other eves.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#29 2019-03-14 19:31:20

Oblong

Eddie. You underestimate how much babies /die. Many, MANY players get removed from the pool. 7 children, 5 of which /die. That’s 5 people lineage banned. Then you’re born in a bigger town and would prefer early game. That’s more babies doing /die. EVES ARE HURT BY THIS ESPECIALLY IF THEY SETTLED NEARBY OTHER EVES OR TOWNS. It can range from 10-30+ people being banned in an area. Sure, we have ~100 or so people currently playing, but that’s the amount of people currently alive.

Last edited by Oblong (2019-03-14 19:33:42)

I don’t talk in-game unless it’s dire.

#30 2019-03-14 19:42:02

Spoonwood

I don't like it.  On server12 we had a new player join, and s/he is like 2k from the closest town that we know of, which suggests s/he got born to someone else and then started as an Eve after an area ban.  That's a lot of road building, when before new towns seemed to be well under 1k from each other in distance.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#31 2019-03-14 19:51:17

Dodge

I personally like as much continuing others project as i enjoy working on my own, sometimes one more than the other and vice versa

But i want to see towns get really big and the current system prevents that, atm even if a town is sucessful and everyone does everything right, towns never get to really big cities and eventually die out because of the current system and not player's bad decisions

How about a lineage + area ban with a much smaller radius, but also make the ban based on server running time and not time played, since you pointed out that you'd want players to take more breaks and do something else, this would encourage that, instead of keep playing to pass the ban and get to the same village.

Last edited by Dodge (2019-03-14 19:53:21)

#32 2019-03-14 21:22:37

Dodge

Part of what motivates us as humans to care for future generations and try to do something meaningful is that we know (or think we know) that it will benefit them someday and that they will be able to eventually do something with it and play their own small part in human history.

But what if we knew in advance that everything will be lost in a couple of generations, not sure what average lineage is but let's say it's about 70 generations, now let's say there is a new generation every 20 year, that would be equal to 1400 years, if you are born at the 35 th generation for example that would mean that everything would be lost in about 700 years.

Now imagine if you knew that everything you make would be lost for sure in 700 years, would it still have the same meaning?

Sure the sun is going to explode or wathever someday and bring us all with it, but it's far enough that it doesn't matter plus there's  that possibility of another scenario that would be beyond our comprehension with our current knowledge of the world, think space travel, dimensions and all that crazy sci-fi stuff.

Point is, villages should die because of mistakes and lack of actions made by the players (not getting iron, not resolving conflicts etc) and not because the game mechanic makes it impossible to have long lasting cities it should be theorically possible to have a city stay indefinitly (not a lineage since server reset)

Board footer