One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-03-05 17:10:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Why can't we say "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" ?

Also, only Joriom can say numerals.

(Shout out to any old-timers who know what I mean.)

#27 2019-03-05 17:19:59

InSpace

Speaking of roman numerals, I think I encountered a bug with players having the same name, where Bob 75 bugged out and got random roman numerals or something

#28 2019-03-05 17:20:22

Chard

jasonrohrer wrote:

*shudder*

#29 2019-03-05 17:49:14

fragilityh14

Chard wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

*shudder*

"I AM SANTAN"

Anyway, i personally do find this pretty annoying, though what bothers me more is often I have to input text twice, I think there's a cooldown between statements or something. I do like the aesthetic though, and see his point.

I'm for sure down with Roman numerals. How often do you need a number bigger than XVI in this game? That's a cart, IV full baskets, and a full backpack not carrying food, so in reality, a full load of most things is XIV or XV

I suppose tiles, but even so, you have L, C, D, M if you're looking at tile distance, though fewer people know those off the top of their heads (I just looked it)

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#30 2019-03-05 20:38:40

futurebird

PeaGirl wrote:

I doubt cavemen talked about numbers. Earliest sightings of number usages were from almost 4000 years ago or farther back, we never know.
You could though try to say them in short like "thirfour -fifseven" for x: 34 y: -57 for example. Perhaps use roman numbers like XXVI which is 26, XIX is 19 and maybe like seven- XIV for 74. Always remember that high valued need to be drawn first,
X = value of 10
V = value of 5
I = value of 1
IV = value of 5-1
VI = value of 5+1
Though for better understanding I think discord communicating might help, although not everyone is able to have both in process (Me included)

I'm all over this.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#31 2019-06-06 19:58:16

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

This is on purpose.  It follows the MLA style guidelines:

https://www.mlanet.org/page/mla-style-m … -and-dates

I'm trying to maintain a comic book look-and-feel.  That is also why it's forced all caps, and the punctuation symbols are limited.  I don't want a lot of L334 speak or ASCII emojis.  This isn't a chat room.  This is a game where you are playing a real human being, in a cartoon world.  Consider this utterance:

BRING BACK 3 TINDER, JUST IN CASE

If I allowed it, people would obviously make use of it all the time, and you can see how that looks pretty terrible, and breaks the immersion.  No comic book would ever format such an utterance this way.  It would always be:

BRING BACK THREE TINDER, JUST IN CASE

I'd say that "F" for food is pretty realistic.

My oldest kid's first word was "Eeeee!"  By which, he meant "Eat!"  But he literally said a single-letter sound at first.

Jason, first off, I once had a son who asked me for my discord name.  Now I didn't satisfy what my son wanted, but discord names need numerals at the end.  If I had known how to get it at the time or had figured that out quickly enough, I probably would have used words.  But also, it's more difficult to say things with words.  Parenting in this game is difficult enough as it is and it will remain that way for the foreseeable future.  Parenting is also a fundamental concept of the game.  So, your taste here might be likely to result in fewer people feeling inclined to parent well in the game because of the difficulty of parenting well.  In other words, your personal taste has a conflict with one of the game's concepts.

jasonrohrer wrote:

If I allowed it, people would obviously make use of it all the time, and you can see how that looks pretty terrible, and breaks the immersion.  No comic book would ever format such an utterance this way.

People create comic books however they like.  You think that no one would ever do that?  But, you don't know every comic book writer.

Additionally, people CAN chose to use a numeral system where letters get used in a consistent manner with a base system.  Roman numerals did exist using roman letters.  No, they didn't have a base system.  There also existed another possible problem in something like a Roman numeral system a consistent base system in that words might have been able to get produced with such a system, and then who knows if a word or numeral got produced?  Well, in English, since words with only consonants don't exist (or at the very least are extremely rare), there's a way around that problem.. and I detailed such a system here : https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6863  Its a type of Major System in the memory improvement literature and The Major System has existed for since the 17th century.

Thus, you simply can't block an efficient way to refer to numerals using English letters (The Major system already exists!).  The only issue is whether or not people ever take up such a system.  Maybe saying something like "NEED TG IRON FOR DIESEL ENGINE" is L33T speak (it's not conventional L33T speak at least), so maybe it's not in line with your taste, but as I said before, that taste can conflict with the fundamental concept of parenting in the game.  So, I don't see why your personal taste should get preferred in this case.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-06-06 22:39:47)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer