One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-02-18 02:42:30

fragilityh14

Re: how were you all playing before?

DestinyCall wrote:

No, I would not wear a fur coat in the desert in the real world.   Or a wool sweater.   But I also would not be able to walk from the burning heat of a desert to the freezing cold of the tundra by taking a few steps.  Sometimes concessions must be made between realism and gameplay mechanics.

You wouldn't do it by taking a few steps, but if each second was 6 days, it might happen.

Granted, we do need to find the balance that it can never be fully realistic in that regard, but it isn't too much to ask of players that you avoid the desert if you're wearing a fur coat.

It's not terrible that a person might drop a fur coat at the edge of a desert biome and put it back on during the trip back to town.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#27 2019-02-18 05:22:49

DestinyCall

No, I would not drop my fur coat before entering the desert in OHOL.   Come on, I don't want to die.

I would wear my fur coat when entering the desert to avoid heat shock, then keep it on to slow heat absorption.    When my internal temperature reached close to equilibrium with the biome (since I'm a lizard), I would then keep the coat on while I fled to a colder biome so it could protect me from heat shock again.    Only after I left the desert would I strip off my fur coat so that I could warm up more quickly.   Otherwise, the fur coat would trap all that coldness inside! 

Realism.  It is why I play video games.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-02-18 05:23:11)

#28 2019-02-18 06:05:27

JoshuaN

Being perfectly honest you should never take your clothes off unless you're under 10% temp as its quicker to recover temp naked. If you're going into a desert be sure to keep running until you get to the other side WITH your clothes on.

I ran through a desert with nothing but a reedskirt, my heatshock was perfectly freezing once i left, i stopped at a berry bush and stuffed my face until i had reached 10% temperature again which is baseline for naked people. (100 food pips per minute / 600 food pips per life / ~40 bites of mutton pie or 120 berries)

If you had a full set of clothing you would be at somewhere around 20-30% temperature. When you recieved heatshock you would be at 70-80% respectively, and you would slowly heat up to max temp. The bright side is if you exit the desert quick enough, you will be slightly above freezing when you return to the cold. You consume food 3x faster freezing/heatshocked than you do naked in green biome. You consume food 11x faster at freezing than you do at perfect temp. (1800 pips per hour when freezing/heatshocked compared to 163.636 pips per hour at perfect.)

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#29 2019-02-18 12:07:18

Peremptive

in warm biomes, clothes protect you for the first five secs but make everything worse after. so take them off unless you are leaving the biome straight away.

#30 2019-02-18 12:11:14

hmrka

Only thing I don't like about this update is temperature shock. Makes no sense if theres just two tiles of desert in your house that is made on green, and its making everyone die...

Other than this, I'm easily able to live to 55 and longer if I feel like staying. Just undress, warm in fire, dress up, go work. Constant famines can be surviveable, most newbs don't know shucked corn can be eaten. And with everyone dying all the time theres lots of clothes,backpacks,aprons laying around. I don't like how in most villages there is just one house, which often ends up being a bakery, or a bakery-smith house, or a nursery... or the worst option, all the things. Seriously I was in a town with a house like that yesterday. Not only was it extremely cluttered, babies kept running around and yelling f, most of them starved. While smithing I sometimes picked up kids by mistake lol. Or just picked them up to put them somewhere else, its faster than telling them to move.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#31 2019-02-18 16:10:58

fragilityh14

everytime i've been born in a civ my parents have been able to cloth me, despite all the haters saying that's impossible and we'll spend all our time making clothes. Rabbit skin stuff last a whopping 15 generations, measured at 20 years a generation, and rabbits respawn hourly. Just farm milkweed and send someone out with a cart, 4 baskets, and three snares, and they can bring in rabbits like crazy.

We do need more clothes though, especially full body desert robes, as i keep saying.

Last edited by fragilityh14 (2019-02-18 16:47:00)

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#32 2019-02-18 19:14:11

Peremptive

fragilityh14 wrote:

We do need more clothes though, especially full body desert robes, as i keep saying.

anything that makes hot biomes playable again would do a lot to fix this update

#33 2019-02-18 20:52:59

honikker

I'm not playing any different than I was before. Upon reaching a comfortable age I had a tendency to go out and scavenge for things to bring back to camp--missing plates and bowls, iron, abandoned carts, miscellaneous items from abandoned villages, clothing, 'shrooms; whatever I could get my hands on--usually naked unless I found something along the way or was given something as a bebe, so I haven't really noticed the temperature changes. I think the only real difference is that I don't go through deserts or jungles as much unless I have food on me, usually just a basket minus one slot for a sharp stone, to stave off the faster drain or the temp shock.

...I've also been able to survive just fine as a kiddo in an Eve camp, even after the Eve has died early or after I've gotten lost so long as I'm able to pick stuff up. Twice now I've been left with a sibling in the wild, young and naked and without a mum; the first time we both made it over 40 and we all died out because there were no surviving fertile women in neither our camp nor our long lost mother's camp; the second time I died to yellow fever while bringing back bananas to my sister, who'd been feeding the kiddos at the fire we made. I think if it weren't for the mosquitoes we could have lasted for a while. Maybe.

tl;dr i spent most of my time naked and outside of the jungle/desert meta anyway so i haven't really noticed a change

I'm one of those spoopy roleplayers your mothers warn you about before they tuck you in at night.

Board footer