One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-02-17 18:52:14

elemental_slim

Re: Eve Problems?

CrazyEddie, ok, that is more in depth than I originally took your post for. I concur that the game may be inclined towards a different play style than how I play OHOL. But it is doable.

After all, I do still raise children. I have raised Spoon, Lory (another frequent server player), Deg, Jack (whom made clear that was not IRL name...lol), twins (that were trying to get back to their base), a korean player, along with the other Eves. So I don't think my game play is too askew from the game maker's, Jason's, intent.
I also tell these players to branch out, but not too far from the base. The third Eve did just that! Originally, it was just myself and my friend. A road was built to connect us. I found out that we have another addition via that eve. So, we are growing. Just not at a stupidly uncontrollable rate.

You also make a point on setting up a private server. Also, doable. /if (set up a private server) .then/(strict limitation of player interaction), ..
I still want to be able to interact with new players... but not on the scale of a heavily populated server....
anyways, to even be able to get a private server going I would have to educate myself on "how to," which is probably very simple.

#27 2019-02-17 18:57:28

Kirk

Anandamide wrote:
Kirk wrote:

You not reading closely enough. He said that Jason originally intended to charge $5 per LIFE, and $20 for FOUR LIVES. Stop, breath, and read before you smash your caps lock button off the keyboard.

Yes, and that never came to pass, literally no one has ever payed per life on this game. If you read closer, my calculation was for his cost per hour of playtime, I didn't assume how many lives he has lived. He clearly stated that he is not getting enough percieved value out of this game, which is absurd because he has played this game as much as he has stated he has. Also, btw, you don't smash the caps lock, its a toggle, not a pulse. You might say, smash the shift button wink.

I was picturing you hitting your caps lock button once as hard as possible, so I wouldn't change what I said. I did see your calculation, but your reply missed his point; he's saying (1) the game isn't fun anymore, and (2) the idea that it could be worth $5 per life is laughable. I agree on his second statement, and I am trying to figure out if I think the game is still fun.

Check out my blacksmith/crafting tutorial : https://youtu.be/LiLjH4HIFSs

#28 2019-02-17 19:32:17

Rage
Banned

Sorry but not sorry I offended your god. I paid 10 bux for rollercoaster tycoon a decade ago and still play it today. And 100 of those 500 hours were spent running around trying to figure out how not to die. Jason should pay me for that.

Last edited by Rage (2019-02-17 19:32:35)

#29 2019-02-17 19:38:43

Anandamide

But no one is saying that? Obviously no one is going to pay $5 for a life. Even if Jason thought that before, its totally irrelevant because he has clearly departed from that model. You don't even have to pay for the game, just to play on his servers, and its never been pay per life. You two are harping on an issue that was never actually a problem. If the game isn't fun for you now, then come back after future updates or don't. I don't know about your playtime, but I know at my playtime, and Rage's, we have certainly gotten our $20 worth. I have netflix, I have soundcloud go, and a few other online services. These all cost about $10 a month and im a pretty average user of both. The average netflix user watches 40 hours a month. A movie ticket costs around ten dollars. A cheap meal at a cheap restaurant is about that much. To get 500 hours of entertainment out of $20 is a fantastic deal. To get 100 hours from $20 still outpaces a the vast majority of entertainments and enjoyable things in life. When you bought this game you knew that one person was making it, and that he was going to work on it alone for potentially the entire development, management, and support of the game, and that like all humans he has a limited time in each day to do all of those tasks.

#30 2019-02-17 19:48:56

Rage
Banned

Yes you got it i am arguing that 1 1/2 months of play is NOT worth 20 bux nor the time it took to learn the game well enough to enjoy playing. When i first got the game i thought it was too hard with the constant need for food and asked for a refund and was ignored. So instead i chose to learn how to be better. NOW, it is worse. Not to mention i have recommended this game to a shit ton of gamers. Today i have to go back in my skype chat and tell them DO NOT GET THIS GAME.

Was this worth 20 bux NO. Again i will reiterate- i consistently pay FAR less for games that are much more enjoyable. ZERO dollars for fallout shelter and simcity buildit. And they are great. Under 10 bux for ceaser 3, rollercoaster tycoon, theme hospital etc and can still play and have fun.

20 bux for morrowind and that is extensive, great graphics and a great game. Yes i come into this knowing it was just one guy. And that it was Beta. But beta USUALLY means working on making the game better for all.

I am pissed. I put a lot of time and effort and free damn advertising into this game, and instead of it getting better it has gotten a LOT worse.

I am also pissed that new players get starved get dead don't get support and now if they buy the game, they are just going to do a hell of a lot of dying.

This is a rip off. That is my opinion and i will keep it. My biggest regret was i didn't buy the game on steam where i could have gotten a refund when i asked the first time.

#31 2019-02-17 19:49:30

Anandamide

That is part of the game, there is a tutorial. I played before the tutorial and it still only took about a day, with the wiki to be able to do basically everything at an eve camp. If you've spent over 100 hours just trying to figure out how to stay alive then, well you kinda suck at this game. Im no pein or tarr. Im pretty average, and I know I have spent more than an order of magnitude less time getting started than you're claiming you have. If you didn't like the game, say ten hours in. Twenty? Maybe even thirty, then I wouldn't blame you for realizing the game isnt for you. But now 500 hours in? And you cant keep up with the temp changes and somehow that means that the previous 500 hours weren't worth your time? Most of the players with more than 100 hours have mostly adjusted. People have built villages, and pumps and are getting along. Will the temp probably be changed again? Yes. Does it make the game unplayable? No. It has clearly been demonstrated that you can survive, and build and advance.

#32 2019-02-17 19:52:52

Kirk

Anandamide wrote:

But no one is saying that? Obviously no one is going to pay $5 for a life. Even if Jason thought that before, its totally irrelevant because he has clearly departed from that model. You don't even have to pay for the game, just to play on his servers, and its never been pay per life. You two are harping on an issue that was never actually a problem. If the game isn't fun for you now, then come back after future updates or don't. I don't know about your playtime, but I know at my playtime, and Rage's, we have certainly gotten our $20 worth. I have netflix, I have soundcloud go, and a few other online services. These all cost about $10 a month and im a pretty average user of both. The average netflix user watches 40 hours a month. A movie ticket costs around ten dollars. A cheap meal at a cheap restaurant is about that much. To get 500 hours of entertainment out of $20 is a fantastic deal. To get 100 hours from $20 still outpaces a the vast majority of entertainments and enjoyable things in life. When you bought this game you knew that one person was making it, and that he was going to work on it alone for potentially the entire development, management, and support of the game, and that like all humans he has a limited time in each day to do all of those tasks.

I've gotten my $20 worth, never said I hadn't. I am simply informing you that your all caps reply wherein you called another forum member "entitled, screeching, ... [and with his] head up [his] ass" was not even a response to the actual point he was making. It was a minor point tangential to his main argument, and you decided to focus on it and pretend that he and I are under the delusion that pay-per-life is the current business model. Grow up, talk to others with respect, and stop straw-manning people's arguments.

Truthfully, if someone has played for 500 hours they have gotten their money's worth. 100% agree there. It's your lack of courtesy that is off-putting.

Last edited by Kirk (2019-02-17 19:57:04)

Check out my blacksmith/crafting tutorial : https://youtu.be/LiLjH4HIFSs

#33 2019-02-17 19:53:54

Rage
Banned

I CAN keep up. I have an eve camp prolly better than 1/2 on the main server. I just want to enjoy the damn game instead of always being damn hungry and worrying if i go looking for iron will i die and lose my eve camp.

Ya i didn't read wiki i watched twisted which really didn't teach me shit, and hoped to be taught by players in game AS JASON SUGGESTED. But eventually i did get on wiki.

If you think people get this game quick i can link you to about 100 video's on youtube that will show you even players who have been around a while and are doing live streams do not get this game.

#34 2019-02-17 19:56:34

Rage
Banned

Also there is no head up 'his' ass. I am female. Assuming will get you nowhere. And when there are nothing but caps and not one second of trying to understand what is being said I just ignore it anyway.

#35 2019-02-17 19:59:35

Peremptive

My dude anandamide, Rage suggests that Jason not have done something, not that he would do more, really.

This update really messed up everything in the game, it was done with no official explanation, no heads up at all. It turned the entire meta since week two of the game on its head. It made two biomes into certain death traps. It has made the game suck and stressful. I still survive. But it feels gets tiring and boring, to the point that I look at the clock and wish for my life to be over.

People keep saying there are towns out there. No shit. You can keep a fire going until all firewood runs out, to a distance that you won't have time to get to and save the fire. I could keep running out in the grass and find bushes with one berry on to survive. But most didn't. The graveyards continue to be twice the size of cities. You keep finding bodies all over the place. I kept seeing 2-3 dead right at the entrance of jungles, despite all of them wearing clothes (not all full sets of course). All heat is almost certain death and way worse than snow, since it turns all other biomes worse when you cross over from it.

The farms are completely wrecked. There are only huge berry farms to be found, mostly graying constantly. Pockets of useful crops are here and there, but rarely used since there is no soil left for anything and of course no iron to tile anything. I saw stick farms. No pies or any other food source stays for more than half a minute. In late towns with pumps and so on, everyone keeps starving all the time. Everywhere I played, I had a very strong sense that people just used all the soil they could get naturally (which is more now because we are building on grasslands), and no way of doing this sustainably. I saw almost no composting, and at least three different griefers taking over the nursery as "wet nurses" and starving all the babies. People were planting berries all over the place to get closer to water, abandoning upgrading wells since it is impossible. And griefers were out killing by the wild berry fields everyone must use now and then to survive.

Super awesome gameplay. If I want to get stressed I can do my machine learning projects, I dont need ohol.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-17 20:04:14)

#36 2019-02-17 20:00:48

Anandamide

All of those games were made by larger dev teams, except for rollecoaster tycoon, and rollercoaster tycoon came out twenty years ago, and was a completed game on its release. You knowingly bought an incomplete game, but one where the creator laid out his vision for the game, and this is exactly in line with that vision. Youre wanting this game to be something it isnt. Go play factorio or rimworld if you want a variable amount of challenge that suits your needs for bootstrapping something from nothing. There are many many games that have that base concept, and Jason is trying to create a game for a very specific niche of that already very specific genre of sandboxy survival games. There are so many other games that fill those different niches of this genre. So find the one that actually suits you vs trying to have this game become something it shouldn't. Unlike a lot of games, in this one the hardest part is the beginning, because thats how real human development has gone. We traded difficulty of survival for the burdens of a more complex society. He makes lots of abstractions but at the end of the day this is a game that rewards bad choices and bad luck with death, just how real life used to be.

#37 2019-02-17 20:06:31

Peremptive

Anandamide wrote:

one where the creator laid out his vision for the game, and this is exactly in line with that vision. Youre wanting this game to be something it isnt.

Please show me the creator's vision on the Steam page of the game. The part that says you are supposed to die most of the time. Even if you know the game well, you should still die, because lolz it should be hard.

We want this to actually be a game, not a stressful ordeal.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-17 20:09:58)

#38 2019-02-17 20:11:10

Rage
Banned

When he refunds my damn money like i asked when i first bought the game i will do exactly that. But for now i have invested too much time and effort and it is a sad world where people think that just because a creator has a 'vision' it has to be right.

I have been playing 1 1/2 months now. Daily. I spent a lot of time and effort to be able to play this game. You never seen me bitching on forums until now. And because i was okay with the hard game play but not this EXTREME game play that the update caused.

Jason is NOT a god. Not here not anywhere he is just a dev who made a GAME and games should be fun.

You can have your opinions that jason's word and his vision are celestial all you want, but as for me i am going to call it out when it is something as stupid as this update.

If you personally want me gone how bout this- You refund my money.

#39 2019-02-17 20:44:59

Anandamide

I didnt buy the game on steam. But it does have a website and these forums. Jason gives over a week of heads up typically on what the goals of the next update are through the discord under live-dev-changes. There was lots of talk about this update before hand. As for the goal, it really became crystallized in this post: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=63. While this talks about resources running out, you can see the sentiment that he want the game to be very hard. That he wants the game to constantly be a struggle, because when you do get born into a developed village, it should be a bit of a "wow, so much had to go right with so many people to get to this point". This was right after the steam integration. Should he have more information on steam, maybe, but even better would be more direction to get people to come to the forums. While it doesn't cover all the points, the trailer video still gave me the impression that the game would be hard and that achieving something would carry some meaning because you can only achieve through said adversity. This is not a casual game, despite what it looks like, and should not cater to casual players. Play a casual game if thats what you want or go on or run your own server. I play factorio, and no body got upset at the science update that increased the difficulty and complexity some 3 or four fold. And thats because its not an easy casual game. Thats the huge divide here, people who want to play more casually vs those who dont. I have around that many hours as you and have had to leave and come back multiple times. While I enjoyed coming back and having all this machinery, after building all of it multiple times, I felt that the game was just too easy. Going on an iron run? I could get to ten yum in an established camp,  grab a cart, and eat only two or three things on a massive journey crossing many biomes and return with tired hand cart of iron. And that was naked. There is no way to get people to play with clothes in the old meta. Most people would only make one or two long foraging missions(iron, or hunting)in a life,if they even went on a journey like that, and that was for the most part the only time you would really need clothing. A village was more efficient on food with clothes, but that reduced food consumption so much that there was nothing to do. Can temps be made to work better? yes. Is this more "realistic" and pushing players to actually utilize more technology. Yes. Luckily, this is a not a complete game yet, and there is still just so much in the works. If this was the last update, and Jason was like"yall on your own now", then yeah id be mad. But I know that this is not the end and so im gonna embrace the difficulty bump, and wait for future updates that will tie into the new meta. We have at least another 50 updates to the game, He said he intends to update it for around two years or so before final release.

#40 2019-02-17 21:11:24

Spoonwood

Anandamide wrote:

All of those games were made by larger dev teams, except for rollecoaster tycoon, and rollercoaster tycoon came out twenty years ago, and was a completed game on its release. You knowingly bought an incomplete game, but one where the creator laid out his vision for the game, and this is exactly in line with that vision. Youre wanting this game to be something it isnt. Go play factorio or rimworld if you want a variable amount of challenge that suits your needs for bootstrapping something from nothing. There are many many games that have that base concept, and Jason is trying to create a game for a very specific niche of that already very specific genre of sandboxy survival games. There are so many other games that fill those different niches of this genre. So find the one that actually suits you vs trying to have this game become something it shouldn't. Unlike a lot of games, in this one the hardest part is the beginning, because thats how real human development has gone. We traded difficulty of survival for the burdens of a more complex society. He makes lots of abstractions but at the end of the day this is a game that rewards bad choices and bad luck with death, just how real life used to be.

So humans evolved from apes living grasslands, prairies, or swamps... even though apes live in jungles nowadays?  Humanity doesn't have any sort of history in a jungle before agricultural, despite an archaeological scientist like this one: https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-ev … ts-0010663 suggest that humanity lived in the jungle before agricultural?  Jungles have rich sources of medicine https://www.thoughtco.com/tropical-rain … et-1204030, but also only have mosquitoes that give you a disease?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#41 2019-02-17 21:41:35

Rage
Banned

If jason didn't want this to be a casual (playable by most) game he probably should not have taken it to steam.

Here is my solution the same one i gave jason via email directly after he ignored my request for a refund. Sure he has a vision. And more power to him and that vision. But why not give us 'beginner' or 'easy' servers where there is not so much stress. He has 15 servers. When i started before the 'big server' update, there were about 3 or 4 of those servers being used regularly.

At any given time there seems to be between 125-200 players on this game. That is not enough players to make this game something that will last except for the certain little niche of a cult he has created.

He is selling this game as is on steam, it should be playable for all. He should listen to the community. He could do exactly what i have said and still keep his STUPID vision where you are starving every 4 seconds if not sooner, can only make five sets of cloths in a life time if you are really trying hard and build an airplane. Where is farming machinery and the looms everyone is asking for. Not to mention storage, but instead how about killing off and driving away any casual or new players that don't want to max it out every time they play.

Ya i am complaining in this forum, maybe instead i should do what everyone else who HATES this game does- greive. Maybe if there are enough greivers jason will do something to make his players HAPPY instead of thinking his game is so special it has to be hard.

#42 2019-02-17 21:53:36

Anandamide

Spoonwood wrote:

So humans evolved from apes living grasslands, prairies, or swamps... even though apes live in jungles nowadays?  Humanity doesn't have any sort of history in a jungle before agricultural, despite an archaeological scientist like this one: https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-ev … ts-0010663 suggest that humanity lived in the jungle before agricultural?  Jungles have rich sources of medicine https://www.thoughtco.com/tropical-rain … et-1204030, but also only have mosquitoes that give you a disease?

First off I think you quoted the wrong comment because that quote has nothing to do with where humans evolved. Now aside from that, we didnt evolve in the jungle. We literally evolved in the Savannah and grassland areas in Africa, and just so happened to have traits that made living in jungles suitable when humans reached those environments. Clothing was absolutely essential to reach say, the jungles of central and south america though, because they crossed during the ice age when the land bridge between asia and north america was above the sea level. They absolutely needed clothing to make this trek. South america had no mosquito borne diseases until the columbian exchange brought over diseases from africa like malaria with the slave trade. Almost all of those potential medicines require more advanced technology than any civilizations that rose up in jungles have ever had. Natural herbal medicines are no replacement for antibiotics, even if new antibiotics could be produced from the jungle under the right circumstances, so any "buff" a jungle civ would get from all of this is kinda irrelevant because they couldn't utilize those resources beyond ameliorating a small number of symptoms for specific things. ***Adding to this, the new world had no plagues. There were diseases but no plagues. They only domesticated the alpaca, and domestication is the source of the vast majority of our plagues as in "diseases that either kill you or you live and are immune" And this is why 95% of the population died within a few hundred years of first contact while Eurasia and Africa didnt have to contend with any new diseases.*** Anyways though, thats all irrelevant when discussing clothing, and the temp update, and why we should need it in game. Humans didnt invent clothing and hominids wore clothes for some hundreds of thousands of years before the first actual civilization came into play. It makes no sense that people run around naked making diesel engines and planes, and this is going to force people to cover up. ***Also, no one said humans never lived in the jungle before agriculture, we reached the jungles of this planet thousands of years before then, and you can have clothing without agriculutre, and in fact, its a prerequisite outside of the tropics because there is winter and even a mild one requires clothing and shelter to not die.*** map_human_migration_yourgenome.png

Last edited by Anandamide (2019-02-17 22:06:21)

#43 2019-02-17 23:01:22

fragilityh14

what's been driving me crazy is people using hunter-gatherer cultures as a counter example. You can easily live a nasty, brutish, and short life running around eating bananas and berries if you want. It's actually really easy to stay alive in fresh wilderness in this game, but it's a limited number of circumstances where anyone moved significantly past hunting-gathering on the real life "tech tree". So that you can live naked in the desert is well demonstrated, but look at how they live.

also though, this is supposed to be post apocalypse in the sense that we have modern ideas and knowledge, we're just starting from nothing. Jason has discussed this before, I believe when he was introducing the Newcomon pump and talking about how improbable the industrial revolution was at all, and how long it would take for people to figure it out again with the ideas we have now but starting with nothing.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

Board footer