One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#101 2019-01-23 08:08:01

Crumpaloo

Re: New Players Bad for Villages?

Just gonna top this thread off by concluding that noobs are infact bad for your village, wasting time to teach them or feed their bad eating habits only hurts the village and if they do learn something from you teaching them and start doing it, chances are you could of had it done in the time it took to have taught them it.

However noobs are what keeps the game alive so if its not completely retarded at-least consider raising it while you are doing something else, then when they get hair and you abandon them, if they are smart enough they will go to someone else and ask them to teach them.

Also if you got the time just tell them to look at onetech

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#102 2019-01-23 08:48:12

TAIOAN

wow

I always give my children a lovely Tâigí(Taiwanese) name, súi(beautiful)!

#103 2019-01-23 16:34:42

Jadelink

I'd rather have new players than dog breeders or car makers any day.

Getting someone through the compost cycle feels like an achievement.

I learned to never ever say I was new the day I started playing.  The killing of newbies (which i saw) slowed my ability to do useful things like farm IMMENSELY.  I would be very very careful who I asked about how things worked, and tinker with them myself to find out (oh my lord the resources I wasted). 

I learned the whole compost cycle in one lifetime on the third day of playing, someone decided to actually show it to me.  Very very easy to teach someone who wants to learn.  The occasional comment while just DOING the thing.  My aunt just took me with her as she made a compost heap from scratch, after that I was fine, maybe took her slightly longer to make the comments, but not much.

Every time you kill a newbie rather than teach them, you doom a dozen eve camps.

I suspect the game has a culture of people pretending they know what they are doing and wasting stuff due to fear of being killed if they admit they don't know something.

#104 2019-01-23 16:56:27

fragilityh14

Jadelink wrote:

I suspect the game has a culture of people pretending they know what they are doing and wasting stuff due to fear of being killed if they admit they don't know something.

For sure, and how i know this is because it isn't that GD hard to not starve in this game yet my kids are always dying in childhood (but after theyre off the tit) and i've seen many cities go into food crisis with a bunch of people standing around. I see it and run into the bush, where it's plenty easy to survive. The only time this really gets me is i've gotten back to camp near starving before assuming it would be fine.

My main problem with teaching, at least of older people, i'll often give BBs some basic advice etc, is that if i am actually playing in an established civ I usually work as a gatherer. This makes it relatively inconvenient for an inexperienced player to follow me and stay alive.

i play at new camps quite a bit, when possible, [as i said, i'm obsessed with this idea that the family lines should never die if the population spreads as it should] and i'm a caring mother, but it's often only noobs who will play with me, who see an opportunity to learn the early game stuff that you never learn if turned into a civilization.

And i used one-tech coming back to the game after months, but learning in game is part of the fun. i was _so_ proud of myself when i was first able to make fire from scratch.

another thing here though, seriously, some of us don't want to be constantly thinking about the most possible efficiency. For one thing, i'm confident that least some experienced players starve because they wait til the last minute to eat to save food. But secondly, a well running city generates a surplus pretty damn fast. This isn't a serious problem if people are contributing, but i would agree the biggest problems are probably the "elite" players insisting on building structures and making cars etc instead of the noobs.

At the same time, i still haven't figured out why i starve less the other people. When the burdock and wild onions were added I was the only person who said it made it too easy and that being an eve already wasn't very challenging (Jason was quite perplexed, that i thought being eve wasn't challenging enough). Anyway, i'm having some sort of fundamentally different experience than other players. For example, i'm rarely ever in a situation where I don't think more kids can survive in the wilds. People always say you need to limit them so you don't starve, but _I_ don't starve, all of my children do, so I don't really think lack of total food is the problem there. Just get a basket and forage and drop food off at camp. it's pretty damn easy, carrots and berries will be going in no time.

Anyway, what i've taken from all of this, is to tell my BBs i will keep them if they're noobs, cause i'd way rather they just tell me. The few times where someone told me and then learned from me all game have been magical.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#105 2019-01-23 17:07:10

Potjeh

I stay in pretty much every town I spawn into, doesn't matter how bad it its, but if I see you being a dick to newbs or boys I'm suiciding even if I'm the only girl and you just turned 40. Same if I see people locking chests.

Last edited by Potjeh (2019-01-23 17:08:04)

#106 2019-01-23 19:22:00

Crumpaloo

Jadelink wrote:

I'd rather have new players than dog breeders or car makers any day.

Getting someone through the compost cycle feels like an achievement.

I learned to never ever say I was new the day I started playing.  The killing of newbies (which i saw) slowed my ability to do useful things like farm IMMENSELY.  I would be very very careful who I asked about how things worked, and tinker with them myself to find out (oh my lord the resources I wasted). 

I learned the whole compost cycle in one lifetime on the third day of playing, someone decided to actually show it to me.  Very very easy to teach someone who wants to learn.  The occasional comment while just DOING the thing.  My aunt just took me with her as she made a compost heap from scratch, after that I was fine, maybe took her slightly longer to make the comments, but not much.

Every time you kill a newbie rather than teach them, you doom a dozen eve camps.

Ok thats you're opinion

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#107 2019-01-23 21:03:20

Alias

Jadelink wrote:

Not sure if its to this extend, but i agree in principle. Neglecting or even worse, killing new players is terrible for at least two reasons:

1. This game is dead without new players. It's like abandoning kids in real life because they are useless at star, soak up resources and attention of adults. Such a short-sighted approach. New players will quit if treated that way.  New player is annoyance because you cannot finish engine or bring cow? What's the difference? Even if this helps your village in a meaningful way this place will be dead in a day or two anyway. Knowledge you pass on will endure server wipe.

2. This is sooo against the idea of the game - building civilization for another generation, not just for yourself. And for me the most memorable and impactful moments in this game come from interaction with other players, usually when I am teaching or was taught.

Though experiment: if all experienced players for a week spent 80% of their time teaching new players, what would be the result? What would be the worst? What would be the best?
Chaos, towns in ruin or abandoned? We sort of have that now. A bit bigger player base with considerably higher average skill level? Yes please. They will be more likely to stay in Eve camp, be useful in town, less likely to grief and more likely to just be in the game.

Last edited by Alias (2019-01-23 21:03:50)

#108 2019-01-27 03:55:34

nilla

I just wanted to add my two cents here as someone who has recently gotten into this game... Not feeding a baby because they admit they are new and would be a detriment to the village they were born into kinda goes against the essence of this game.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think I would have continued to play if I was neglected or left to die my first few lives because I admitted I was a noob. You already feel pretty useless and helpless your first 5 lives and then not being able to play at all because no one wants you on their team would leave a terrible impression on a game that I think is clever and very engaging.

The learning curve is pretty steep so any guidance is very helpful to a newcomer. I understand that it can be annoying to literally babysit a newbie, however, that's probably one of the only ways we will retain a big enough player base. It's because I had amazing in-game moms, grandmas, uncles, brothers, sisters, aunts, and cousins that I got this far and am now able to teach the incoming new players how to maintain a farm, create compost, tend to the sheep, make pies, etc. Newbies will never get better unless the veterans invest their time in them. I promise we do eventually figure our shit out and become productive members of society.

#109 2019-01-27 03:59:56

apereason

nilla wrote:

I just wanted to add my two cents here as someone who has recently gotten into this game... Not feeding a baby because they admit they are new and would be a detriment to the village they were born into kinda goes against the essence of this game.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think I would have continued to play if I was neglected or left to die my first few lives because I admitted I was a noob. You already feel pretty useless and helpless your first 5 lives and then not being able to play at all because no one wants you on their team would leave a terrible impression on a game that I think is clever and very engaging.

The learning curve is pretty steep so any guidance is very helpful to a newcomer. I understand that it can be annoying to literally babysit a newbie, however, that's probably one of the only ways we will retain a big enough player base. It's because I had amazing in-game moms, grandmas, uncles, brothers, sisters, aunts, and cousins that I got this far and am now able to teach the incoming new players how to maintain a farm, create compost, tend to the sheep, make pies, etc. Newbies will never get better unless the veterans invest their time in them. I promise we do eventually figure our shit out and become productive members of society.

Every time I try to teach a new player they suddenly die from starvation. I think the person needs to be willing to learn if you spend 10 minutes teaching them just to have them die.

#110 2019-01-27 05:02:46

antking:]#

who cares they will only get better through experience! so lets open our doors!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#111 2019-01-27 06:02:27

nilla

apereason wrote:
nilla wrote:

Every time I try to teach a new player they suddenly die from starvation. I think the person needs to be willing to learn if you spend 10 minutes teaching them just to have them die.

I won't lie. I did that once. It wasn't malicious. I was trying to pay attention to what the person was saying and forgot to eat. Lesson learned and I am much better now at keeping an eye on my food meter.

It has also happened to me while teaching a new person on how to tend to the berry bushes. New kid straight up keeled over in the middle of a whole bunch of full bushes. It was tragic but it was a learning experience for that newbie as well.

Just remember, in their next life, they'll have learned from their mistakes and try not to repeat them.

#112 2019-01-27 06:49:16

Alias

Yes, this happens and is not intentional I believe. That's why I sometimes add line "don't starve" in a situation where they might miss it e.g. waiting for something in a desert with hands full, focused on learning. When they realize they are about to to die they might panic. I might even feed them just in case sometimes.

Recall yourself day one - it happened, didn't it? big_smile

#113 2019-01-27 07:27:54

Daffex

Crumpaloo wrote:
CrazyEddie wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

If its just a matter of more people knowing how to compost then i got a way for parents not to have to teach their children how to make it: https://onetech.info/624-Composted-Soil

Fuck that.

Half the fun - for me - is learning things IN the game, not studying a spreadsheet. People like me may be in the minority, but you don't get to tell me how to enjoy myself.

You don't want to teach me? Fine. Go play how you like. But plenty of people love the hell out of teaching (and learning!), and find it the very best part of the game.

I taught someone compost the other day, and as far as gaming experiences go, I'd trade it for all of the "successful" villages you played in that same day.

Noobs are useless, and no amount of enjoyment is gonna bring back the time and food you spent trying to teach them how to make compost. They will doom your lineages, they will eat all your gooseberries, and kill whoever has a bloody knife, explanation or not. In the end, they will do it all over again because thats just how they do, its not they're fault, its just the way of the noob.

Ironically if you kill anyone that you think is a noob, that will actually force noobs to, get this, LEARN ENOUGH TO NOT BE A NOOB, no better motivator then death itself.

You know, its funny. You were a noob once.

I learnt to play the game by watching people in game, or by watching someone teach someone in game on a youtube video.

So... teaching. Its a thing.

I prefer to call my children after final fantasy characters.
- Love making sauerkraut! - Hate letting kids die.

I miss surnames. Remember surnames?

Board footer