One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-01-18 00:23:52

happynova

Re: New Players Bad for Villages?

Crumpaloo wrote:

While i highly doubt just myself could have any effect on the playerbase just through my ramblings if some how it still manage to have an impact, this could take weeks, or even months of constant playing on my part to establish a pattern of that magnitude into that many players which i dont know if im gonna be even playing the game that long so why at the point would i even care what happens?

LOL!  By your logic, that sounds like those of us who are intending to keep playing long-term should probably stab you before you get a chance to drive off the newbies who will benefit us.  If we were all as self-centered as you.

#52 2019-01-18 01:04:14

Léonard

Crumpaloo wrote:

The only real assholes are the morale police telling me how play a game i paid for, i dont hate noobs but i dont like them either, so trying to make me feel bad for a baby that can spawn back in 5 seconds isnt doing you any favors, you wanna call me an asshole for my controversial opinion, ok, but dont expect that to suddenly change the facts themselves.

This is kind of ironic because the fact is that not caring about anyone other than yourself is the definition of an asshole.
But whatever floats your boat I guess.

#53 2019-01-18 01:32:47

Crumpaloo

Léonard wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

The only real assholes are the morale police telling me how play a game i paid for, i dont hate noobs but i dont like them either, so trying to make me feel bad for a baby that can spawn back in 5 seconds isnt doing you any favors, you wanna call me an asshole for my controversial opinion, ok, but dont expect that to suddenly change the facts themselves.

This is kind of ironic because the fact is that not caring about anyone other than yourself is the definition of an asshole.
But whatever floats your boat I guess.

Never said i was only in it for me, although i would benifit from not having noobs in my village the whole village itself would benefit as well which was my original argument, i love to see villages flourish, mainly the ones i live in, and villages having more then just me in them doesnt make me selfish or an asshole in the slightest if i want to see them as a whole to better so this point just doesnt make sense. 

Although id say the reallly REAL assholes are moral police throwing that insult around in the first place as some sort of attempt to make what im saying discredited because im making a good argument and any actual counter points dont exist.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#54 2019-01-18 01:46:02

Crumpaloo

happynova wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

While i highly doubt just myself could have any effect on the playerbase just through my ramblings if some how it still manage to have an impact, this could take weeks, or even months of constant playing on my part to establish a pattern of that magnitude into that many players which i dont know if im gonna be even playing the game that long so why at the point would i even care what happens?

LOL!  By your logic, that sounds like those of us who are intending to keep playing long-term should probably stab you before you get a chance to drive off the newbies who will benefit us.  If we were all as self-centered as you.

Right because i the sole creator of this train of thought will single handedly drive off the entire future playerbase of this game because of one thread post. Are you really that dense? Or are you just trying to manipulate my thoughts into your own twisted logic to some how make me this big bad person that somehow through sheer will alone is gonna just completely ruin the game for everyone, when greifers have been trying to do that ever since the game has come out? If hundreds of greifers over the course of numerous months couldn't break the game, neither can one person sporting a controversial opinion so get your head screwed on straight and come at me with a actual solid argument with evidence and proof, not this mess of a attempt at throwing shade.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#55 2019-01-18 02:06:57

Léonard

Crumpaloo wrote:

im making a good argument and any actual counter points dont exist.

Ah yes, sorry I didn't realize you had an iq of 9 billion and that your arguments are the perfect embodiment of logic itself.
Hey, you ever thought that uhm, maybe, any towns directly benefit from having noobs simply because they allow you to continue your lineage in the first place?
I don't know, perhaps, if say, you killed every noob, your town would utterly die in no time?
You ever thought of that?
But I don't know, you're the genius, you tell me who is actually thinking rationally here.

So this is your "social experiment" here?
You just post a bunch of nonsense, claim they are absolute indisputable facts and laugh when people tell you you're just being selfish?
What's next, are you going to tell me that your "social experiment" worked perfectly because you "predicted" people would call you an asshole?

#56 2019-01-18 02:13:05

happynova

Crumpaloo wrote:

Right because i the sole creator of this train of thought will single handedly drive off the entire future playerbase of this game because of one thread post. Are you really that dense? Or are you just trying to manipulate my thoughts into your own twisted logic to some how make me this big bad person that somehow through sheer will alone is gonna just completely ruin the game for everyone, when greifers have been trying to do that ever since the game has come out? If hundreds of greifers over the course of numerous months couldn't break the game, neither can one person sporting a controversial opinion so get your head screwed on straight and come at me with a actual solid argument with evidence and proof, not this mess of a attempt at throwing shade.

I'm sorry, I would, but my ability to take you seriously has just completely imploded.

#57 2019-01-18 02:15:28

mrslax

Look everyone was new at this game at one point or another. New players usually just die off young anyways, so if you are still in that unstably time in the town give them a job out side of town with a food source like hunting rabbits or getting rope in a filed of ropes or oak logs and berries.
Show them what to do and then let them do what they do.  they die off or put in the work to come to town.

Once composting is in place show them how to do it. Putting berries in a bow and farming the bushes is the first of many steps to keep the town running. If I'm smiting I have them watch.

Some times it doesn't really matter if they are new like if i'm out getting iron ill stop and let them grow up, If i'm close to town ill drop them off, If i'm far ill find them a good food source and drop them off. kids get there mothers home marker so they can figure it out.

The point is don't be a dick to the kid if they are new, its a wast of a kid. The only time it is ok to kill a kid is when they make mean faces and words, I drop those little shits off in the woods to die. ( no need to raise a greffer)

#58 2019-01-18 02:33:20

The_Anabaptist

Alright Crumpaloo after looking at some of your other threads, I imagine that you consider yourself a fine swiss watchmaker.  Somebody who cares deeply about every pip of food and that it is allocated in a perfect bite every time.  Somebody whom wants to see an entire town of sims dance in a perfect weave of motion and purpose.  Except that ain't life.

In all actuality, we probably aren't that far off in our desire to see town running at peak efficiency, but our methods of getting there are vastly different.  I'm going to take a moment to troll you here, and I'm saying it up front so everyone knows that I'm intending to only lightheartedly tease you.  You know who else would count out every pip of food for their populous?  Communists!  So start your bread line comrade!  (Or kraut, as you have already done that!)  You know who else preached euthanasia of the weak?  Nazis!  Clearly them noob babies had it coming!  With enough propaganda, one day you'll have your glorious fatherland.  Even if it is only for an hour!

The_Anabaptist

#59 2019-01-18 16:56:22

Crumpaloo

Léonard wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

im making a good argument and any actual counter points dont exist.

Ah yes, sorry I didn't realize you had an iq of 9 billion and that your arguments are the perfect embodiment of logic itself.
Hey, you ever thought that uhm, maybe, any towns directly benefit from having noobs simply because they allow you to continue your lineage in the first place?
I don't know, perhaps, if say, you killed every noob, your town would utterly die in no time?
You ever thought of that?
But I don't know, you're the genius, you tell me who is actually thinking rationally here.

So this is your "social experiment" here?
You just post a bunch of nonsense, claim they are absolute indisputable facts and laugh when people tell you you're just being selfish?
What's next, are you going to tell me that your "social experiment" worked perfectly because you "predicted" people would call you an asshole?

That would require noobs to not die before they could have babies, also your cringe attempt at assuming what im going to say next is probably the most off-putting thing ive read.

#60 2019-01-18 16:59:21

Crumpaloo

The_Anabaptist wrote:

Alright Crumpaloo after looking at some of your other threads, I imagine that you consider yourself a fine swiss watchmaker.  Somebody who cares deeply about every pip of food and that it is allocated in a perfect bite every time.  Somebody whom wants to see an entire town of sims dance in a perfect weave of motion and purpose.  Except that ain't life.

In all actuality, we probably aren't that far off in our desire to see town running at peak efficiency, but our methods of getting there are vastly different.  I'm going to take a moment to troll you here, and I'm saying it up front so everyone knows that I'm intending to only lightheartedly tease you.  You know who else would count out every pip of food for their populous?  Communists!  So start your bread line comrade!  (Or kraut, as you have already done that!)  You know who else preached euthanasia of the weak?  Nazis!  Clearly them noob babies had it coming!  With enough propaganda, one day you'll have your glorious fatherland.  Even if it is only for an hour!

The_Anabaptist

The ironic thing is people are talking about my argument as if im already killing,not feeding noobs, guess some people are just blind to their rage idk.

#61 2019-01-18 17:01:14

Crumpaloo

happynova wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

I'm sorry, I would, but my ability to take you seriously has just completely imploded.

Yeah the moment i saw that post you made i was thinking the exact same, thought i could logic it out but apparently your only response is this, oh well!

#62 2019-01-18 18:17:34

dangergirl713

Yeesh- stop calling each other names. Crumpaloo probably just ran into a bad streak of noobs and griefers. We have all been there or we will be there eventually. Crumpaloo, it might help to find a group or just one buddy to play with on a low pop or the practice server. You can usually play two types of games-one with the randoms/noobs on high population servers where you are pretty much doing the same thing over and over or one where it's just you and a buddy on the practice server building the perfect camp. I usually switch between the two types of gameplay depending on my mood.

#63 2019-01-18 18:55:50

Averest

Quick Story:
One of my older Uncles or cousins asked me to give him one of my children this past week so that they could learn how to take over as head composter when he eventually passed away and I happily obliged. While the child was still in my arms we went over the basics of composting. I narrated while he performed the actions. By the end of it, we had a champion compster! This was by far the most rewarding teaching experiences, even though it took two of us, because it was so fast and efficient and the adults all could dodge out as needed to eat without confusing the kid. I was even able to teach pies to the next child before passing my backpack off to Beth, my wonderful daughter, before my death from old age.

#64 2019-01-18 19:50:33

Jk Howling

Haven't really followed most of the conversation, but we were all new at some point lmao. The game has a very steep learning curve, and part of the entire basis of the game itself was the idea of players teaching players, passing things down to the next generation--knowledge, not just a camp.

Again, I'll say it: WE WERE ALL NEW ONCE. Nobody joined the game knowing everything and never making mistakes. We all had to start somewhere. Have a little patience, show a little kindness, and it can go a long way. That noob could easily end up being a future hero to a village after learning how to make compost.

Or you can just keep shoving your elitist attitude into the game and insist on driving new players away because "ur new so ur a waste of resources go play minecraft or something lol"

-Has ascended to better games-

#65 2019-01-18 20:26:18

Léonard

Crumpaloo wrote:

That would require noobs to not die before they could have babies

Alright show me the proof that noobs die before they can have babies every single time.
I'm waiting.

#66 2019-01-18 20:41:53

DestinyCall

Léonard wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

Alright show me the proof that noobs die before they can have babies every single time.
I'm waiting.

I'm no longer new and I can't speak for every new player, but back when I first started, I managed to survive to 60 as a berry tender and successfully raised a handful of babies during my first play session.   Admittedly, that was after five or six early deaths, but only the first one was avoidable.  The rest happened because I was born to neglectful (or fatally wounded) mothers.

However, I owe that long life in large part to my uncle, who taught me about berry plants and showed me a safe way to help our village.   I doubt I would have lived that long without his help, because I was not very good at watching my temp as a noob.   I will still teach berry tending as a first lesson, if someone is brand new.  Keeps them in the village and close to a reliable food source, so the chance of accidental death by starvation or cold is reduced (unless the berry patch is built over tundra).

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-01-18 20:42:54)

#67 2019-01-18 20:53:31

Booklat1

at least new players don't waste food making berry rabbit pies

#68 2019-01-18 21:01:15

Crumpaloo

Booklat1 wrote:

at least new players don't waste food making berry rabbit pies

Trust me they make back for that 10 fold

Last edited by Crumpaloo (2019-01-18 21:05:18)

#69 2019-01-18 21:04:11

Crumpaloo

DestinyCall wrote:
Léonard wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

I'm waiting.

I'm no longer new and I can't speak for every new player, but back when I first started, I managed to survive to 60 as a berry tender and successfully raised a handful of babies during my first play session.   Admittedly, that was after five or six early deaths, but only the first one was avoidable.  The rest happened because I was born to neglectful (or fatally wounded) mothers.

However, I owe that long life in large part to my uncle, who taught me about berry plants and showed me a safe way to help our village.   I doubt I would have lived that long without his help, because I was not very good at watching my temp as a noob.   I will still teach berry tending as a first lesson, if someone is brand new.  Keeps them in the village and close to a reliable food source, so the chance of accidental death by starvation or cold is reduced (unless the berry patch is built over tundra).

In that teaching i probably could of planted 20 berry bushes. Teaching a new player something you could of already done in the time it takes to teach them is just being lazy and looking for someone else to do it.

#70 2019-01-18 21:50:56

alphabetter

Crumpaloo wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
Léonard wrote:

I'm waiting.

In that teaching i probably could of planted 20 berry bushes. Teaching a new player something you could of already done in the time it takes to teach them is just being lazy and looking for someone else to do it.

i think you are SEVERELY overestimating time it takes to teach a new player anything. i taught someone to berry farm earlier in less than five minutes. including getting soil from out of town. if you can honestly say you can plant twenty berry bushes in less than five minutes, while fetching soil and not relying on compost someone else made, then surely your time shouldnt be wasted on this game.

it really doesnt take long to stop and tell someone 'hey, when bushes turn brown, scoop up the soil, put it on the plant, do the same with water, and youre good to go'. most of the time, you can do this while nursing the kid, then get back to your task- be it cooking, composting, whatever- once the kid gets hair. it's not hard, and it doesnt take that long, like you're trying to insinuate.

i used to name my kids alphabetically. now i just... dont play anymore.

#71 2019-01-18 22:04:33

Crumpaloo

alphabetter wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

i think you are SEVERELY overestimating time it takes to teach a new player anything. i taught someone to berry farm earlier in less than five minutes. including getting soil from out of town. if you can honestly say you can plant twenty berry bushes in less than five minutes, while fetching soil and not relying on compost someone else made, then surely your time shouldnt be wasted on this game.

it really doesnt take long to stop and tell someone 'hey, when bushes turn brown, scoop up the soil, put it on the plant, do the same with water, and youre good to go'. most of the time, you can do this while nursing the kid, then get back to your task- be it cooking, composting, whatever- once the kid gets hair. it's not hard, and it doesnt take that long, like you're trying to insinuate.

Really just depends on whats already available to start farming but your taking my point to litterally, what im implying is that time teaching is wasting your time that you could be spending to do stuff thats directly helping the village, teaching someone basically turns you into just as much dead weight as the noob until you are done teaching him, and whos to say you would be even teaching him one thing? Most noobs need to learn several things at once so if you REALLY want to help a new player out your gonna be there alot longer then you think.

Mainly i just wish the tutorial teaches people more, its in-game doesnt require you wasting time in a village, and has all the info you need. People shouldnt have to be forced into teaching roles just because someone was too lazy to go out and learn this stuff themselves.

#72 2019-01-19 00:40:18

DestinyCall

Crumpaloo wrote:

You would have PLANTED twenty bushes?   Please stop helping.   The berry patch is too large already.

If only someone had taught you to bake mutton pies ...

#73 2019-01-19 01:03:16

Crumpaloo

DestinyCall wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

You would have PLANTED twenty bushes?   Please stop helping.   The berry patch is too large already.

If only someone had taught you to bake mutton pies ...

Intentionally taking my point literally: Check

Assuming i dont know something so you can use it as a counter argument: Check, Check, and check

Oh also i dont need some random person teaching me how to do something, i just visit where i can learn it step by step instead of getting it from a secondary source...

Heres the link i suggest telling all those noobs you've been teaching that they dont have to hear you rambling on for 15 minutes because your character limit is too damn short.

https://onetech.info/

#74 2019-01-19 01:24:53

DestinyCall

The joke
Your head

#75 2019-01-19 01:57:29

Crumpaloo

DestinyCall wrote:

The joke
Your head

I dont know if you have noticed but most of the replies im getting arent very constructive or nice either so joking at this point is probably not a good idea...

Board footer