One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-01-21 10:41:31

Tarr
Banned

Re: Why have 5 servers active on off-peak hours?

While the server change has worked well in the daytime for keeping cities and the like running smoothly (Thank you for swapping off sticky sessions off Jason.)

We still have the issue of keeping what I would deem nearly unplayable servers alive.
9RLmVrD.png

I really don't think 10/9 players on a server is exactly playable for anyone on those servers. I'd much rather see server 1 turn off and just move to 5 at some point rather than keeping two half servers alive. This is a reoccurring thing where when s5 is alive it and s1 exist in awful states at these wee hours. I've since moved from S1 to S2 but I still don't think S1 should be allowed to exist in such a terrible state.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-01-21 10:42:48)

fug it’s Tarr.

#27 2019-01-21 17:51:15

Gederian

I would like to see every server used at all times.

If there is a fertile mother you are born there making Eves less frequent. Less camps and more centralized villages. The spiral will also grow slower letting villages be reborn. Less lag too since we'll have 10 more servers.

That's my guess on how it would play out anyways.

I imagine at night some servers will die out and players will centralize on other servers. The low pop Eve code should get those servers going again later. The bonus is the strong villages will be able to survive the night and instead of endless Eve runs at night you are likely to get born into a town on an abandoned server.

Last edited by Gederian (2019-01-21 17:55:39)

#28 2019-01-21 18:05:21

CrazyEddie

Gederian, I think you misunderstand how the server selection and spawning mechanisms work. Having every server used at all times wouldn't produce the results you're suggesting, other than the spiral growing more slowly.

Either that, or I'm misunderstanding what you're suggesting. If so, my apologies.

#29 2019-01-21 18:40:47

Gederian

CrazyEddie wrote:

Gederian, I think you misunderstand how the server selection and spawning mechanisms work. Having every server used at all times wouldn't produce the results you're suggesting, other than the spiral growing more slowly.

Either that, or I'm misunderstanding what you're suggesting. If so, my apologies.

The other key part is if there's a fertile woman you won't be an Eve. Maybe even lower the cool down. This will force towns to grow and spread or fail. We just grew too big is a much better mechanic to fail from than simply nobody was born.

I imagine most servers would have one or two lines so even if there is only 10-20 per server they will mostly be in the same town.

This will almost require you to force /die to be an Eve which I think is great for new players since they will start in towns and if they play enough they will eventually live in all towns (maybe turn lineage ban up) and get the skills to be an Eve.

#30 2019-01-22 04:43:19

Léonard

This is a good point which I thought about before:

Léonard wrote:

To be honest, I don't even understand why there is a baby cooldown in the first place.
Jasons says that he wants people to compete for babies. Doesn't the cooldown prevent a proper distribution?
To be more clear, shouldn't babies be distributed properly whether or not there is a cooldown?
If you're going to argue that it's to prevent a sudden influx of babies on a single mother, first off the baby distribution should prevent it from going overboard, second how is it different from getting triplets/quadruplets anyways.
On top of that if a mother gets more babies than she can handle (which likely only happened if she purposefully got a big yum bonus and some good temperature) then the extra babies would just die off anyways. Natural selection.
The best compromise I think would be to make the cooldown a very lax cap, like say, no more than 5 babies in under 5 minutes.
I think something like that might work really well.

I failed to point out at the time that it would most likely help a ton with this.
I heard some people mention that servers that are almost dying often go into that "Eve hell" state and I suspect the baby cooldown has a lot to do with it.
The theory is that the extra Eves are unnecessarily spawned due to the fact that such a low population can easily have all its fertile players be put on cooldown, forcing many more Eve camps than is necessary.
If the cooldown was made more lax this would definitely solve such a problem (if it is true at all).
Maybe someone could look into the data logs to see how often such a thing happens and if it actually needs to be addressed or not.
As was already pointed out above, this would make it harder to unintentionally spawn as an Eve, which is not a bad thing in my opinion.
I only ever spawn as Eve unintentionally exactly when servers are in a dying state.
If spawning as Eve gets really hard (without /die) because of this, then that means probably only players who know what they are doing would spawn as Eve instead of some unlucky noob who would inevitably fuck up.

Last edited by Léonard (2019-01-22 04:48:10)

Board footer