One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#101 2018-04-29 15:29:25

Babsy

Re: VirtualBox image with Ubuntu and OHOL test server pre-installed

I tried. Step 2 doesn't work for me, it doesn't understand the command "VBoxmanage". Step 3 seems way over my head anyways.

So unless someone can make a new Ubuntu image I can use, it seems like a dead end for me.

#102 2018-04-29 20:05:52

Roolstar

Babsy wrote:

I tried. Step 2 doesn't work for me, it doesn't understand the command "VBoxmanage". Step 3 seems way over my head anyways.

So unless someone can make a new Ubuntu image I can use, it seems like a dead end for me.

Been there dude, it looked overwhelming at first for me too. I'm a complete beginner in this kind of thing.
Let me try to help you out with what I've learned.

> PLAN A: Bypassing the whole VBoxmanage command nonsense

Open your VirtualBox, select the OHOL image you use, and click on "Global Tools" on the top right corner.
You should see a slider at the bottom, and the location of your virtual image a bit higher. (If you don't, skip straight to PLAN B)
If you do see the slider, slide it up to 10Gb and then click Apply.
If that works, you just finished Step 2 of the guide. Skip Plan B below and go straight to Additional Notes.

if not,

Frag4Free wrote:

btw, for increasing storage: you don't have to skip straight to PLAN B if you don't see the slider.

For me there was just one more step in between: i had to select one of the two options given by VirtualBox (don't remember how they where called, i've choosen the top one) and i got my  capacity slider at the bottom. (fyi, be aware that you only can move it to increase the capacity not reduce it. so don't overdo it if you might want to move the server to a smaller disc in the future...)

might help someone, makes things a lot easier

What Frag is talking about is the choice between "Host Network Manager" or "Virtual Media Manager" middle top of window (it doesn't lokk a lot like something you can choose)

The Image file (hard drive) will be under "Virtual Media Manager" within the list of Hard Drives.

If still no luck (I doubt it), go to Plan B.

> PLAN B: Getting the command line to work
The error is caused by the cmd not finding VBmanage.exe, and that's normal.

This is the command they instruct you to run in the terminal:

D:\>VBoxmanage modifyhd MyLinux.vdi --resize 100000

- Now as it stands, you're essentially asking the terminal to run an executable called VBoxmanage located on D:\ => That's not the right location in your case. In fact, VBoxmanage is probably located in your VirtualBox installation folder, something like "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"
(Go to the VB installation location and make sure there is an executable called VBoxmanage in there)

- Same goes for Mylinux.vdi. Simply replacing that with the name of the image you downloaded from OP won't work because it's not the right location. In my case it is called OHOL-Ubuntu64.vdi and is located in "E:\Ubuntu OHOL"

So to make the command work you should:

- Open cmd as usual
- Type in: cd C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox. That's the location of your VB installation folder
- Now you should see a line saying "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox" in cmd (in other words when you ask it to run VBoxmanage now, it will run it from that location)
- Type in: VBoxmanage modifyhd "E:\Ubuntu OHOL\OHOL-Ubuntu64.vdi" --resize 10000
(you could also try VBoxmanage.exe in case of error)

In english, you're telling cmd to run VBoxmanage located in "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox", and use it to resize the OHOL image located in "E:\Ubuntu OHOL\" to 10000 Mb (or around 10 Gb).
Note that the site says 100000 or 100Gb but you don't need that much space for OHOL.

If that works, you just finished Step 2 of the guide.

> ADDITIONAL NOTES:
I will not go into Step 3 and beyond but I will give you the big picture of what you're trying to do by following this guide:

OHOL-Ubuntu64.vdi is the image you downloaded from OP in this thread (it's a container)
Now inside this image is a Hard Drive with a set size. This is where the "Not enough room to save" error is coming from: the HD is too small.

So to make things work again you'd have to:
Part 1: Increase the size of the image itself (the container of the HD) and make it ready to accommodate the new size of the HD (Steps 1 & 2 of the guide)
Part 2: Increase the size of the HD itself within the image (Step 3 & after)

That second part looks intimidating but it's really not: you're simply using the "GParted" image that you download from the link they provide, and use it to resize the HD contained within OHOL.vdi. The screenshots in the guide helped me a lot, so use them to follow the steps.

If you get stuck somewhere make sure to let me know, maybe we can connect over discord, so that we don't hijack this thread with our conversation.

And for any nerd bashing his/her head against the keyboard reading this post, I am truly sorry. And plz feel free to correct my inaccuracies/mistakes :)

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-05-28 19:51:33)

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#103 2018-04-30 14:05:24

Babsy

Thank you @Roolstar for your detailed instructions, but I have contacted OP and he will create a new image with more space. I guess I'll wait for that instead.

I guess you shouldn't remove your post, if that is your intention, people might need it in the future.

PS I'm a "dudette" wink

Last edited by Babsy (2018-04-30 15:55:46)

#104 2018-04-30 14:24:32

Roolstar

Babsy wrote:

Thank you @Roolstar for your detailed instructions, but I have contacted OP and he will create a new image with more space. I guess I'll wait for that instead.

I guess you shouldn't remove your post, if that is your intention, people might need it in the future.

No problem dude, I will keep it in case someone needs it.

I actually preferred doing it myself instead of waiting for OP to upload another image for a couple of reasons:
- Downloading a new image from OP would wipe out your previous progress. And if it ever needs to happen again in the future, I may need my progress to stay intact.
- Future images will grow bigger with time, so uploading and downloading them again and again will become annoying.
- I'd rather be independent from someone else's availability and willingness to upload an image when I need it. Now I can do that on my own at any time.
- Learning more about VirtualBox and Ubuntu servers structure and operation would make me able to do even more changes that may be needed for the future. It used to be a kind of a "black box" for me, now I'm able to make more sense out of it.

Now my next goal is to know how to compile the whole server from scratch and therefore creating the image that OP will upload on my own.
And what I learned during my time solving the HD issue, actually made Jason's sticky post on the main forum a lot more understandable for me.

So I'm gonna do that really soon smile

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#105 2018-05-03 14:22:01

Babsy

@Roolstar Thanks again for your link and additional help. I managed to resize both.

My problem is as before, after updating the server and the client, that when I login to my existing map, many items are not what they are supposed to be. For instance sheep show as a saw instead. Pies are scattered everywhere and I can't eat from them.

What is causing this? Can this be fixed?

I ran:
sh refreshBuildScript.sh
sh pullAndBuildTestSystem.sh
then rebooted and restarted.

#106 2018-05-03 14:46:45

Roolstar

Babsy wrote:

@Roolstar Thanks again for your link and additional help. I managed to resize both.

My problem is as before, after updating the server and the client, that when I login to my existing map, many items are not what they are supposed to be. For instance sheep show as a saw instead. Pies are scattered everywhere and I can't eat from them.

What is causing this? Can this be fixed?

I ran:
sh refreshBuildScript.sh
sh pullAndBuildTestSystem.sh
then rebooted and restarted.

This has happened to me once when my client was not at the latest version. But from what you said, it doesn't seem to be your case.

My solution was to run the game on the official public servers at least once, once I hit login, I had a "downloading" screen. Took a couple of seconds) to finish, then I quit and connected back to my private server. Everything went back to normal.

Not sure what else could cause this, but also know that sometimes the servers are updated before the client, so maybe it will get updated if you run it again if the patch wasn't roll out when you did earlier.

Still, I'm anticipating a day where we the update would be drastic enough to make me have to wipe the old map and my progress, and restart from scratch.

Sorry couldn't help more.

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-05-03 14:53:12)

#107 2018-05-04 15:03:59

Bimble

I'm sorry about the disk allocation on the image - that was a dumb mistake on my part.  I'll get new images up soon, it's been a busy couple of weeks.

And great post, Roolstar, thanks for putting those instructions together.

#108 2018-05-28 10:55:20

Frag4Free

btw, for increasing storage: you don't have to skip straight to PLAN B if you don't see the slider.

for me there was just one more step in between: i had to select one of the two options given by VirtualBox (don't remember how they where called, i've choosen the top one) and i got my  capacity slider at the bottom. (fyi, be aware that you only can move it to increase the capacity not reduce it. so don't overdo it if you might want to move the server to a smaller disc in the future...)

#109 2018-05-28 19:47:25

Roolstar

Frag4Free wrote:

for me there was just one more step in between: i had to select one of the two options given by VirtualBox (don't remember how they where called, i've choosen the top one) and i got my  capacity slider at the bottom. (fyi, be aware that you only can move it to increase the capacity not reduce it. so don't overdo it if you might want to move the server to a smaller disc in the future...)

You are completely right, I did find that out recently but totally forgot to edit my post, mind if I update it with your comment?

Thx for reminding me smile

#110 2018-06-03 18:42:17

codeg_

I have no idea on how can i communicate with the server from my computer.

#111 2018-06-03 18:44:04

YAHG

codeg_ wrote:

I have no idea on how can i communicate with the server from my computer.

Smoke signals usually?

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#112 2018-06-03 18:49:33

codeg_

no, hehe, and i've ran too, the problem that when i close the VM, and open it again, i just can't log in.

#113 2018-06-04 16:21:16

Hungertower

Hi There,

I have another big Problem. Everytime I log into my private Testserver I get kicked with a connection Lost after 10-15 seconds of inactivity. If i am not inactive I can play the game without problems. Here is what I can see in the Terminal:

Listening for another connection on port 8005
Got new player logged in
Placing new Eve:  Found an existing camp at (20.000000,103.000000) with 1 placements and 0.000000 max radius
Placing new Eve:  trying radius of 102 from camp
New player olli connected as player 19
Compressed 5991 bytes down to 623
Got client message from 19: KA 0 0
Client error, unknown message type.
Starting new web request for http://onehouronelife.com/reviewServer/ … email=olli
Logging Eve death:   Eve died too young (age=14.250150, min=60.000000), not remembering her camp, and clearing any old camp memory
Closing connection to player 19 on error (cause: Unknown message type)
0 remaining player(s) alive on server
Failed to read sequence number from stats server response.

Could you please help me? I am a Beginner and I want to learn the Game before I step into the multiplayer World smile

#114 2018-06-10 23:11:09

Dexter102900

Bimble

First thank you for the images. I might have been able to set up a sever myself but only after many hours of frustrating troubleshooting that I just don't have time for anymore so thank you. But that brings up unfortunately since this partition problem has come about I tried doing the steps but it still seem to not be working. You mentioned you'd get new images up several weeks ago. Would you be able to get those up soon? I would love to have a private server again to try at all the new updates at my own pace with friends.

#115 2018-06-25 12:21:47

Awix

Hi guys!

I have a little problem.
All time when i try to enter the server, server crashed with log in console: "Floating point exception".

What did it means? Any suggestions?

#116 2018-07-30 17:28:24

zionhian
New User

Whenever i try to connect it gives me a failed login error
The server console on the other hand outputs Floating point exception

#117 2018-07-31 01:04:30

Uncle Gus

What are you running the VM on?

My initial guess would be that you are using the 32-bit image on a 64-bit PC.

#118 2018-11-19 22:14:41

danijo55@yahoo.com

Ok how do I find the vdi file. Sorry I know as I type this it's a stupid question.

#119 2018-11-19 22:29:38

CrazyEddie

This is a fairly old thread, so it's probably worth pointing to Awbz' server build, precompiled and packaged for Windows:

https://github.com/Awbz/OneLife

Find the link that says "Download the latest release", download the "win_full" package, unzip, and run the runServer.bat in the server folder (must be run with admin privileges, aka "Run as Administrator"). You can then connect to your private server as "localhost" in the game client.

This is completely separate from the VirtualBox image that's discussed in this thread. It's good to have options.

#120 2018-11-20 02:38:29

danijo55@yahoo.com

When I type in CD OneLife/server./OneLifeServer it says no such file or directory. What am I doing wrong?

#121 2018-11-20 06:22:51

MeIsZ

Dawn. This is amazing. Good job dude.

If you're bored, check out this site poliwager.net. It's kinda like a online pokemon ranch simulator. The creator of Siivagunner is the owner of the site! big_smile

#122 2018-11-20 18:08:16

mx_owl

danijo55@yahoo.com wrote:

When I type in CD OneLife/server./OneLifeServer it says no such file or directory. What am I doing wrong?

There's no period in "server", I believe.

Also, if you type a few letters in the name of a path, then hit tab (like you type "cd OneLife/s" then hit tab) the terminal will try to complete that command with options from the folder. (So the terminal would complete your command to "cd OneLife/server/" after you hit tab. If it gives you something else starting with s, hit tab until you see the correct option.) This can be a good way to make sure you have the directory name(s) spelled correctly.

https://www.howtogeek.com/195207/use-ta … ng-system/

Steam name same as forum name.

#123 2018-11-21 18:21:37

danijo55@yahoo.com

When I did the tab it just says server/ do I still add the OneLifeServer after that?

#124 2018-11-21 20:54:43

mx_owl

danijo55@yahoo.com wrote:

When I did the tab it just says server/ do I still add the OneLifeServer after that?

Ah, yes. Each time you hit tab, it will only autocomplete the next "section" (up until the slash).  So if you're at "server/" you'd type "O" or "On", then hit tab again to have it autocomplete to "server/OneHourOneLife".  You can also type it out manually, but this limits typos.

Steam name same as forum name.

#125 2018-11-23 08:40:29

BestCONFIDENCE

Hopefully this is OK to ask here. I managed to get it up and running thanks to this guide, Thanks by the way! My issue is having friends connect, I'm pretty sure I've port forwarded everything correctly, what have you guys done to get your friends on the server. Let me know if you can!

Board footer